• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation:What are signs it's working?

DogLover

Can anyone with personal experience share the signs that a methylation protocol is working?

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This is a good recent thread. It seems like once the poster implemented some of the suggestions given by the doctor, who also recently joined PR, he said it is starting to help him again.

Her suggestions seem more common sense and seem to fit with the start low/go slow theme that many on PR recommend for people with ME/CFS.

DogLover

This is a good recent thread. It seems like once the poster implemented some of the suggestions given by the doctor, who also recently joined PR, he said it is starting to help him again.

Her suggestions seem more common sense and seem to fit with the start low/go slow theme that many on PR recommend for people with ME/CFS.

i was wondering how will i know methylation is improving? will i get energy? will i get euphoric? any other signs? tingling, etc?

Wishful

What I wonder is why people expect it to help when we don't know what is malfunctioning with ME. If methylation is involved, is the problem undermethylation or overmethylation, or maybe both acting on different sections of DNA? Experiment away, since it's possible that it will help you. However, it seems logical that it's as likely to worsen symptoms as to reduce them.

Judee

i was wondering how will i know methylation is improving? will i get energy? will i get euphoric? any other signs? tingling, etc?

I haven't tried methylation to any great extent. The thread I referenced though is by someone who has. He covers some of the improvements he's experienced in his initial post and again later after he has made some additional changes. The blue word "Thread" in my post is the one that will take you there.

DogLover

@Judee

I get it now. I had been through that thread before and somehow missed the "My brain fog cleared, insomnia gone, joint pain vanished, skin cleared up overnight....The improvements were insane" part. It seems as though the positive benefits are a bit vague and could be attributed to any number of things.

Judee

Did you see where he later said...

I really think you are onto something with me. So, for that, I thank you. Question about B2...after taking approximately 100mg of FMN/R5P spaced throughout the day (25mg each), I have been feeling so much better with regards to anxiety, energy, brain fog, depression, etc. I didn't reread this thread update and have still been taking b12 and folinic acid, and did have some fog/nervousness in the afternoon. I am going to back off the b12 for a while.

From what I can tell methylation can take a bit of experimentation to figure out the protocol that will work for you individually and it sounds like even that can vary from day to day but that doctor seems to give a lot of good starting points. She also said she has used that for some of her patients (not ME/CFS patients though) but maybe you could still ask her in that thread or maybe you could PM her (using the Inbox/start a conversation feature) to get some of your questions answered.