• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation tests in UK ?

cigana

Hi,

I am interested in doing the methylation tests suggested by Rich VK (Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel and a Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile).

Has anyone in the UK found a way to have these done, or some similar tests?

Thanks,

Cig

richvank

Hi,

I am interested in doing the methylation tests suggested by Rich VK (Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel and a Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile).

Has anyone in the UK found a way to have these done, or some similar tests?

Thanks,

Cig

Hi, Cig.

It's best to do the Health Diagnostics (formerly Vitamin Diagnostics) methylation pathways panel through the lab in New Jersey, USA, even though the parent lab is in the Netherlands. I've had several emails from people who have not had prompt service from the parent lab. There appears to be a language problem for non-Dutch speakers. I've spoken to the lab director about this, but it doesn't seem to have improved.

The labs use preservatives in the sample vials that keep the samples in good condition during shipping and storage.

Here's the information for the New Jersey lab:

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on a clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Health Diagnostics and Research Institute
540 Bordentown Avenue, Suite 4930
South Amboy, NJ 08879
USA
Phone: (732) 721-1234
Fax: (732) 525-3288

Lab Director: Elizabeth Valentine, M.D.

Dr. Tapan Audhya, Ph.D., is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Rich

cigana

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the info.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your info too, I will contact them soon to arrange this. I wanted to let you know that I have benefitted from your treatment plan and I would like to thank you very much for the effort you've put in, it is so appreciated. I was going to wait until I had more concrete evidence to give before posting my experience on your protocol but I suppose that may be a very long time in coming so I may as well add my bit now, hoping it is of some use in the puzzle...

Actually, I will post it in the B-12 thread under the title "for Rich" as it really belongs there:

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?188-B-12-The-Hidden-Story&p=140148#post140148

Cheers,

Cig

Hi, Cig.

It's best to do the Health Diagnostics (formerly Vitamin Diagnostics) methylation pathways panel through the lab in New Jersey, USA, even though the parent lab is in the Netherlands. I've had several emails from people who have not had prompt service from the parent lab. There appears to be a language problem for non-Dutch speakers. I've spoken to the lab director about this, but it doesn't seem to have improved.

Rich

Hi -

I'm also in England, and wondered whether the situation had improved? I'd be really grateful for an update.

I've been told by Health Diagnostics and Research Institute this week that they will happily test my sample; but they want it within 2-3 days, which is cutting it fine with our postal service.

Best,
Leon

aquariusgirl

Try their parent lab in the Netherlands,,,,European laboratory of nutrients .....either way u will probably have tongues FedEx ....but the lab will tell u.

Also Kenny de meirleir told me that methylation issues are a downstream effect of all our infections etc...

I'm also in England, and wondered whether the situation had improved? I'd be really grateful for an update.
I've had pretty good results and customer service from ELN. Everyone I've met there speaks pretty good English (I live nearby and just go in to have my blood drawn there), and they're accustomed to dealing with international orders, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

Helen

Hi -

I've been told by Health Diagnostics and Research Institute this week that they will happily test my sample; but they want it within 2-3 days, which is cutting it fine with our postal service.

Best,
Leon

Hi Leon,
I had my first test done 1 1/2 year ago. At that time there was a difference between the two labs what was included in the test. I choose the lab in U.S. that was the best at that time. And I had another methylation panel done 2 months ago, also in U.S. No problems with delivery from Sweden. I posted the blood sample on a Monday-drawn in the morning.

@ Aquariusgirl,
"Also Kenny de meirleir told me that methylation issues are a downstream effect of all our infections etc..."

Did he really mean that infections cause methylation defects? Or do I get you wrong? You probably know that Rich´s hypothesis was/is that it works the other way around due to mutations in the methylation cycle. That makes sense to me. It would be interesting to hear more about Kenny de Meirleirs thinking about the methylation issue if you know something more about it. And about yours and others opinion on the subject.

Maybe you know taht Rich had got more than 200 Methylation Panels from PWME´s and all but a few of them, had decreased methylation.

Best regards,
Helen

aquariusgirl

I am sure rich has explained multiple times how biological stressors can lead to a methylation cycle block.....

Thanks for the advice.

I think the only material difference would be the price, given the weakness of the pound against the euro. The ELN test is considerably more expensive, as it stands!

Also, am I right in thinking that the ELN lab doesn't require a doctor's signature? I'm not convinced my doctor will want to sign the form when I see him tomorrow. Even the word "CFS" will cause him to balk!!

Best,
Leon

Also, am I right in thinking that the ELN lab doesn't require a doctor's signature? I'm not convinced my doctor will want to sign the form when I see him tomorrow. Even the word "CFS" will cause him to bulk!!
They do require a doctor's signature. But they've never tried to communicate with my doctor (he didn't put an email address on the form I think), and they always just emailed the results to me directly.

I am in the process of trying to get this test done through ELN. They do need a doctor's signature to get a test kit, and then you will need to find somewhere to draw a blood sample and FedEx it overnight to arrive there the following morning. Finding somewhere to get a blood sample done is the tricky bit though!