• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methyl B12 side effects?

I had the same issue, but my doctors have no idea what to do. My psychiatrist even trailed me on medications for bipolar disorder, because he didn't understand the immediate rushes of energy from my B12 shots! I've just given up, suffering even more now with chronic fatigue, just taking sublingual B12 for now :-(

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Hi all, i started Methyl B12 injections 12 days ago as prescribed by My Doctor. 500mcg a day subcutaneous. At first i noticed no effect at all (apart from i slept through the night very heavily for the first few days)
I was a bit dissapointed not to feel anyhitng more straight away as i know others who have had a boost from the first jab! My antioxidant and glutathione levels are very low. My serum B12 is 246. I also have high cell free dna (25 last year)

Now i do seem to be noticing that i feel a bit better, slightly more energy and definately less sick feeling. More ability to do more and less PEM. (although sometimes this does happen to me so it could be a coincidence)
The last few days though i have noticed that i feel a bit agitated, like i do feel a bit tired (though not total exhaustion) but i feel the need to keep moving. Ive noticed that i seem to be doing things quickly and it doesnt feel nice. Also my face hurts a bit like ive been clenching or grinding my teeth and my skull feels all tight. I almost feel like i want to crash to relieve this feeling (crazy i know)

I have felt like this in the past when ive eaten too much sugar or taken Acetyl l carnitine. I tried not taking the B12 a couple of days ago and the feeling went away.

So, is this a side effect? will it go away if i carry onj at the same level, should i try taking less or ride it out. Could this bea kind of start up effect?

Grateful for any advice or thoughts, Justy.
idk...but some thoughts...I have to ask what else you are taking to support the B12 as you know there are many other nutrients that work together. I am wondering is agitated is the same as anxious? P5P works for anxiety.

Doing things quickly that doesn't feel nice could potentially be hyperthyroid...are you on any thyroid meds? I know doesn't sound likely but it is a possible cause of "racing" feelings.

If the movement issues are really more like nonfluid movement - that is low dopamine, which can be caused by insufficient P5P also.

I want to comment that free radicals adversely regulate the methyl cycle so taking enough antioxidants is very important to proper methylation.

You are taking potassium right?

Lastly, when I tried that high dose folate suggestion folks were playing with at one time here it made me feel unstable - in effect that I had to raise my doses of everything else to support the cycle or it would not be safe for me. It may be the same for you with B12. I just thought a reasonable dose was better and safer and I tuned the B supplements to work with that. idk how an injected dose compares with a sublingual dose, but just be careful. I would dial back the dose myself. I would experiment with taking a LITTLE more folate TMG and P5P to work with the B12. And I would make damn sure to get enough potassium. I would NOT discount the TMG as folks here want to do but would make SURE nothing was building up (which is unsafe) by taking plenty of TMG and P5P. I think this stuff can kill you. Be safe.

---

Oh, sorry Justy. I see this was an old post of yours. It DID surprise me because I THOUGHT you were further along. How about an update on how this has worked out for you?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Justy aren't you one of the ones on a paleo diet? I can't remember who it was that told me they were but I know it is very popular. I just want to make sure you know this about potassium:

Important stuff about POTASSIUM:

From Iron Man Magazine Feb 2013 article on potassium:

(1) Low carb diets have a diuretic effect that causes excretion of otassium and sodium and the potassium loss causes muscle weakness and fatigue. Supplementing potassium AT THE RIGHT TIME can make those side-effects vanish.

So...what this "the right time"?

(2) Taking isolated potassium supplements can lead to the release of adrenal hormone ALDOSTERONE. (!!!) Aldosterone conserves sodium while promoting excretion of potassium. This causes water retention. {Hell, THIS CAUSES HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!] The water retention requires them to get more potassium which should be taken in food or via a supplement taken WITH MEALS.

(3) Potassium has a relationship with other minerals. It works with sodium in controlling fluid in cells. Magnesium is needed to retain potassium in cells.

(4) Potassium plays a role in helping to restore depleted glycogen. Muscle glycogen is the primary fuel of muscles.

The article follows with all sorts of horrific near death and death cases of body builders getting too much or too little potassium...(so beware).