• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

metametrix discontinue dna pcr technology

Changes to GI Effects Stool Tests
Posted on October 21, 2013
Archive : October 2013
Category : News
As part of the ongoing work to integrate Genova and Metametrix laboratories, Genova have advised us of a number of changes to the GI Effects stool test which will take effect over the coming weeks.
- parasitology analysis will now be completed using O+P Microscopy techniques and either a positive or negative result will be reported (page 2 of the report)
- drug resistant genes will no longer be reported (page 2 of the report)
- pathogenic bacteria e.g. H. pylori, Campylobacter, C. difficile and Shiga Toxin E. coli will no longer be reported as standard but will be available to buy as an add-on.
im just gonna quote from one of the article i found:
The most pivotal test offered between the two labs is the comprehensive stool analysis. Both labs offered a similar panel, but their methods differed greatly. One utilized the DNA-based PCR method, which is highly superior, while the other utilized the standard culture method, which misses a lot.

Unfortunately, the lab using the inferior technologies (Genova Diagnostics) bought out the other lab (Metametrix Clinical Labs), due to Metametrix’s owners/directors aspiring to retire.

Back when Metametrix and Genova were bitter competitors, Metametrix wrote an article comparing the superior PCR microbial testing to the inferior culture-based testing. Of course, now that Genova has taken over and since Genova does culture and not PCR, they couldn’t have a disparaging article circulating out there.

Genova raised the prices on ALL of their testing – some prices didn’t go up much, while others became downright cost-prohibitive.

They fundamentally changed Metametrix’s stool analysis test in several ways. First, they decided to “split off” the four major pathogenic bacteria from the original panel. Now, if you want to test for those infections (which are common and you don’t dare NOT test for them!), they cost extra. Second, they’re substituting inferior culture-based methods where superior PCR-based methods used to be. And this is all after a price increase. And all without any warning.

Genova outright lied to its clients, promising that they would. Not. Touch. The Metametrix test. All of the changes in the above paragraph were made to the Metametrix version of the test. Way to build trust, Genova.
and,
by CHRIS KRESSER:
In terms of gut testing, the Metametrix test is the only one that’s really available overseas. because it’s DNA PCR testing, they have typically been able to do the testing overseas because the viability of the sample isn’t as big of a question when you’re doing the DNA PCR analysis… Well, the viability of the sample is still a question, but it’s not as time sensitive. But they’ve recently changed their testing methodology where they are doing some culture in addition to the DNA PCR methodology, so I’m not sure yet how that works internationally,
so what other labs are better?

Last edited:
Hi
I believe they still use PCR tech for the non pathogenic bacteria, but use "Ova and parasites" technology pathogens. So I think they have actually improved it by combining the best bits from each others tests. However I am not sure what "ova and parasites" technology is.

Also be aware that "Enzyme linked immune assays" (EIA) are now only offered as add ons.

"when there is a high index of suspicion for infection, C. difficile, H. pylori, Shiga Toxin E. coli, and Campylobacter spp. will now be offered as add-on panels by enzyme immunoassay (EIA) only, allowing test-panel customization based on clinical presentation of the patient."

http://blog.gdx.net/post/2013/10/30...nce-clinical-utility-and-patient-results.aspx

Hi
I believe they still use PCR tech for the non pathogenic bacteria, but use "Ova and parasites" technology pathogens. So I think they have actually improved it by combining the best bits from each others tests. However I am not sure what "ova and parasites" technology is.

Also be aware that "Enzyme linked immune assays" (EIA) are now only offered as add ons.

"when there is a high index of suspicion for infection, C. difficile, H. pylori, Shiga Toxin E. coli, and Campylobacter spp. will now be offered as add-on panels by enzyme immunoassay (EIA) only, allowing test-panel customization based on clinical presentation of the patient."

http://blog.gdx.net/post/2013/10/30/Gastrointestinal-testing—combined-technologies-enhance-clinical-utility-and-patient-results.aspx

im just gonna quote from one of the article i found:
The most pivotal test offered between the two labs is the comprehensive stool analysis. Both labs offered a similar panel, but their methods differed greatly. One utilized the DNA-based PCR method, which is highly superior, while the other utilized the standard culture method, which misses a lot.

Unfortunately, the lab using the inferior technologies (Genova Diagnostics) bought out the other lab (Metametrix Clinical Labs), due to Metametrix’s owners/directors aspiring to retire.

Back when Metametrix and Genova were bitter competitors, Metametrix wrote an article comparing the superior PCR microbial testing to the inferior culture-based testing. Of course, now that Genova has taken over and since Genova does culture and not PCR, they couldn’t have a disparaging article circulating out there.

Genova raised the prices on ALL of their testing – some prices didn’t go up much, while others became downright cost-prohibitive.

They fundamentally changed Metametrix’s stool analysis test in several ways. First, they decided to “split off” the four major pathogenic bacteria from the original panel. Now, if you want to test for those infections (which are common and you don’t dare NOT test for them!), they cost extra. Second, they’re substituting inferior culture-based methods where superior PCR-based methods used to be. And this is all after a price increase. And all without any warning.

Genova outright lied to its clients, promising that they would. Not. Touch. The Metametrix test. All of the changes in the above paragraph were made to the Metametrix version of the test. Way to build trust, Genova.
and,
by CHRIS KRESSER:
In terms of gut testing, the Metametrix test is the only one that’s really available overseas. because it’s DNA PCR testing, they have typically been able to do the testing overseas because the viability of the sample isn’t as big of a question when you’re doing the DNA PCR analysis… Well, the viability of the sample is still a question, but it’s not as time sensitive. But they’ve recently changed their testing methodology where they are doing some culture in addition to the DNA PCR methodology, so I’m not sure yet how that works internationally,

Last edited:

roxie60

Sad to hear Genova is doing this. I was just about to do another test to compare but now will probably not test at all. I think it is rediculous that they are separating out what use to be basic expectation level of testing. Almost like they want to ruin their reputation and punish prior Metametrix customers. Guess they will be hoping they will get new customers who will not know they are getting a lower level of service and possibly lower level of testing.

Sad to hear Genova is doing this. I was just about to do another test to compare but now will probably not test at all. I think it is rediculous that they are separating out what use to be basic expectation level of testing. Almost like they want to ruin their reputation and punish prior Metametrix customers. Guess they will be hoping they will get new customers who will not know they are getting a lower level of service and possibly lower level of testing.
i know right. many people feel disappointed. some still havent find out. and i just plan to do my first test and finding more info and considering but knowing this puts big doubt in me. (i thought "too little too late" theyve changed it) maybe i should just get the OAT test only instead?
is there other better lab for stool test? on the other hand it seems they wont revert back to the original method, wont they.
btw, you said "to compare" with other lab or previous metametrix result?

Last edited:

Thinktank

I have the emails of a few people working at genova, will ask them now and report any findings. It would be really sad if they are discontinuing PCR.

Thinktank

Not a single reply from genova diagnostics.... that's kinda disappointing. I'm currently way too brainfogged to phone them so is there anyone here willing to give them a call? Otherwise i'll do it on a "good" day.

Thinktank

thanks. i tried to contact them (sent 2 emails) since last week but no reply. :(
They generally don't reply to non-customers because they are overloaded with work. I can send them an email for you, just PM me your specific questions but not too lengthy!

To clarify, the PCR DNA test from REDlabs is very different from genova diagnostics G.I. effects. They are two very different things. I can upload my results as an example if you like.

Thinktank

Maybe uBiome is a good and affordable alternative.
That one and the american gut project as well. I'm still waiting for the results though.

So far stool tests that i have done:

Standard hospital stooltests from various hospitals (completely useless in my case)
REDlabs PCR DNA stooltest (highly recommended, shows a lot but takes a while to process).
G.I. effects genova diagnostics (kinda disappointing, only tests for a few bacteria, yeasts etc in comparison to the PCR DNA test from REDlabs. but compensates with testing of things like SCFA, butyrate etc.)
CDSA 2.0 (a bit the same as G.I. effects with the addition of calprotectin and eosinophil protein X, handy to evaluate gut inflammation levels, but no PCR DNA used??)
Ubiome (still awaiting results)
American gut project (still awaiting results)

@Thinktank thanks :redface:
i see. i usually/prefer communication via email so itll be problematic for me :eek: i contacted fedex, they said the estimation time for shipping is 3 days minimum. so i dont know if its possible? :( also theres no info if redlabs accept payment via wire transfer. the practitioner i found here can only help with lab for doctorsdata, greatplains, possibly genova. so with redlabs i have to do all by myself :( im totally new with this so i feel lost and need guidance.
Not a single reply from genova diagnostics.... that's kinda disappointing. I'm currently way too brainfogged to phone them so is there anyone here willing to give them a call? Otherwise i'll do it on a "good" day.
thats weird? usually theyre very responsive and reply fast. :confused:
didnt u take the old metametrix test before?
anyway i would like to see the redlabs result. u can pm me if u want :thumbsup:

Thinktank

As an example here are a few screenshots of my REDlabs PCR DNA stooltest.

MSA1.jpg
MSA2.jpg
MSA3.jpg
MSA4.jpg