• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolomic Evidence for Peroxisomal Dysfunction and Dysregulation of the CDP-Choline Pathway in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

aquariusgirl

The plasmalogen levels in pwme looks like a big problem. These are supposed to protect the cell membrane from oxidative stress. Maybe the fatigue is just a warning that your cells are about to fall apart.

So there are probably two things that can cause this deficit, those are chronic inflammation and peroxysomal dysfunction which is the researchers theory. So how do you figure out which one is correct.

Im thinking it could very well be the chronic inflammation theory because the brainstem seems to be very implicated in mecfs, this is where the inflammatory reflex is operating from. If its dysfunctioning for some reasons like damage or presence of viruses then it might not be doing its job properly. Also many pwme have SFN which might inhibit many nerves that gives in/out signals to the brainstem. Also there is the lack of SCFA producers in the gut which is supposed to regulate our immune systems. (just to mention a few things)

edit: added some text

ijms-23-07906-g002a.png
Here are my Kennedy krieger fatty acids test results (32 years sick)
25DD652F-4E01-45E4-B80A-4ADF1AE21C54.jpeg

Wishful

Also there is the lack of SCFA producers in the gut which is supposed to regulate our immune systems. (just to mention a few things)

FWIW, I suddenly developed an intolerance to dietary fibre (or its metabolites) several months ago. Fibre makes me feel very sluggish and groggy (brainfog), as well as achy. In fact, it seems to have restarted the neuropathic muscle aches that LDN had gotten rid of 5+ years ago. I've tested butter (butyrate) and sodium acetate, and neither had a noticeable effect. I don't feel like spending $60+ on propionate to see whether that makes me feel lousier, since answering that question doesn't lead to any new treatment options.

Since that started, I've been avoiding fermentable dietary fibre, and that dramatic reduction in SCFAs hasn't changed my ME noticeably. So yes, the gut microbiome can have large effects on ME, but even major changes in SCFA production may not have an effect. I'm guessing that my intolerance is more of an overresponse problem than a supply problem. If propionate is the cause of my problems, it's too widely used in the body for that to narrow down how it's having its effect. Luckily, I don't have a response to psyllium, since it's non-fermentable (which also proves that it's a metabolite responsible), so I'm avoiding constipation.