• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Menstruation & Orthostatic Intolerance

Sarah94

Why does menstruation make my orthostatic intolerance worse? And what can I do to counter the menstruation-related worsening?

Seven7

Seven
Why does menstruation make my orthostatic intolerance worse? And what can I do to counter the menstruation-related worsening?
I have the same issues. It changed this ladt
Month to pass out after is done buy for 10y was right before I started
Passing out where I could tell and half my work knew I was about to start :eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:. I never found how to fix it but is a known issue for POTs and women.

MTpockets

I find my sodium needs go up before my period. Also if you have any type of anemia or blood deficiency it will be more noticeable before your period. Anemias can present with air hunger, racing heart and dizziness etc. so could be mistaken for OI.

Shoshana

Northern USA
So much sudden loss of body fluids and natural iron, etc?

Yes, salt might help, if not bad for you in some other way. Perhaps protein, or foods with natural bit of iron.
And plenty of fluids, and take care.
I wish I could remember what else I used to do for that! It truly can take the bottom out, of an already tipsy-turvy ship!
Hormonal crash added in also?