• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Menopause-body aches

confetti11

Curious....has anyone noticed their body aches start or increase during the start of menopause?

I've had some pretty awful aches (especially around my shoulders) for the last month or so. Also, my joints are stiff, especially hip joints after I sit for a while.

No trouble with mobility...they just stiffen up. But the shoulder aches are bad and make the mild nausea I tend to deal with all the time get worse quickly.

Mij

@confetti11 . . . absolutely! I'm walking like a robot. I have 'trigger thumb', all my tendons/ joints in my fingers/hand/ arms have pins/needles/aching/stiffness . . . the list goes on. I'm actually hoping it's related to menopause and will eventually disappear!

confetti11

@confetti11 . . . absolutely! I'm walking like a robot. I have 'trigger thumb', all my tendons/ joints in my fingers/hand/ arms have pins/needles/aching/stiffness . . . the list goes on. I'm actually hoping it's related to menopause and will eventually disappear!
Thanks for the response!

Do your aches make you feel even sicker? They really can make me feel sick.

dangermouse

@confetti11 yes, I have terrible shoulder pains and especially in hips. I've always had these but since peri kicked in they've magnified.

Nausea is really bad and I have it most of the time, along with episodes of vertigo and dizziness.

confetti11

@confett11 . . . yes it does, it can get quite distressing at times. I thought it might all be viral related but who knows.

My expert doctor in this stuff does think the aches could have a bacterial component.

For me, I just noticed that I started getting achy about a month or so ago. Then I started HRT and everything seemed to improve. Then, a couple of weeks in, I started spotting a lot and the aches got significantly worse. So, the doctor had me cut the hormone cream in half because of the spotting.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem in the estrogen/progesterone balance in general.

TigerLilea

Yes! Since becoming post meno I now have arthritis in my fingers, my legs are very stiff first thing upon waking up, get back ache from bending over, carpal tunnel in my wrists if I over use my computer mouse, and after weeding my gardens I wake up in the night with numb hands that hurt like h*ll until the numbness goes away. I also had to get a new mattress because my hips and shoulders didn't like the hard mattress anymore. :aghhh: