What is Meldonium, and what does it do to your body?
- Meldonium is associated with improved blood flow, including to the brain. At least three studies have shown mood-improving effects as well as increased learning and memory performance.
- At least two studies have shown enhanced activation of central nervous system (CNS) functions. One review also found it protects against stress.
- Meldonium has been found to improve endurance properties and aerobic capabilities of athletes.
- It helps stop mitochondria ("powerhouses" of cells) from being overloaded by fatty acid breakdown, by stopping carnitine activites. It instead shifts focus towards the breakdown of carbohydrates, which requires less oxygen.
- One review also found increased glycogen in the cells during exercise.
- Meldonium has anti-ishemic properties, meaning it can prevent strokes caused by lack of blood flow. It is used clinically to treat angina, myocardial infarction and chronic heart failure.
- One review of the effects of meldonium found lower levels of lactate and urea in blood