• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Melatonin supplementation improve mitochondrial function - more than just sleep.

This 2019 study is free to access.

Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Skeletal Muscle of a Fibromyalgia Model: The Potential Benefits of Melatonin ( https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/3/765 )

Discussion points of study - melatonin is:
"useful to improve mitochondrial performance"
"antioxidative"

Came across this research after trying to understand my own recent experience with prescribed melatonin 2mg nightly.

I went from 30%-0% then back to 30%.

Patient run-down:

Age 27, ME/CFS, fibromyalgia diagnosis first at age 22, ill possibly life-long, MTFHR gene, ADHD now treated with dexamphetamine, un-diagnosed connective tissue problems (suspect EDS or similar).

History:
I have been taking melatonin long term, on an off, for sleep. At different stages I stopped taking it, because it didn't seem to be helping me get to sleep. I wanted to trial honouring my "night owl" sleep schedule without forcing myself into bed with melatonin.

Events:
6 weeks ago stopped taking melatonin.

Began to decline in function. Attributed it to my body trying to adjust.

2 weeks later, crashed, became bed bound.

Seeping 10-12 hours a night, resting and not moving during the day except for bathroom.

I decided to begin melatonin again to see if it would help me sleep better - at that stage I thought it couldn't hurt. I had been reluctant as I didn't want to be dependent. I've stopped and started at different times.

Back on melatonin script - I went from 2% to 20% function within two days.

After a few days back at 30% as before.

Discussion:

I couldn't believe that only 2 days could make such a vast difference from catching up on sleep alone, especially as my sleep was poor those two nights by chance.

I researched and found the above study.

I think perhaps many of us dismiss melatonin when we don't register effects on our sleep. The understanding I have of the study is that melatonin is also a powerful antioxidant that may have an effect on mitochondrial function, so even if sleep isn't improved, health may still improve. I feel that this is what I experienced, which was why I was surprised by finding the study after the improvement.

Have considered my own past experiences - when I have stopped and started taking melatonin and health fluctuated rapidly. Keeping a close eye, and considering my bias and will review medical notes and my own notes. This might take a while.

I am taking Circadin (melatonin) 2mg every night. In Australia. Not covered by PBS. I get it for $33 from Chemist Warehouse. Far more expensive from other chemists (up to $50). Prescribed by GP.

Final thoughts:
- would taking more melatonin each night be helpful?
- would taking other antioxidants be helpful, eg Resveratrol*?
- despite being conscious of it, how much is my hope bias affecting "self experiments"? I was not expecting any kind of change with cessation or recommencing taking melatonin. Had not even considered melatonin as culprit of health crash until 5 weeks in. Had not expected improvement when I began taking it.
- have emailed author of study. If I get a response I will update.

*Re: Resveratrol as antioxidant possibility:
- where Resveratrol personally made me feel anxious in the past, is it worth considering again now that I am medicated for ADHD and have a clearer understanding of my baseline and better awareness of hope bias, my health, function tests etc.
- Was this anxiety I felt in the past in fact an increase in energy resulting from Resveratrol which then compounded anxiety/ADHD? Was it the brand that I had a strange effect to? A few years ago now so unclear.
- Will attempt again after more research - considering uptake pathways etc.

ljimbo423

@crat - Very interesting finding. Melatonin crosses the blood brain barrier, so it has direct effects in the brain. It's antioxidant properties could help reduce neuro-inflammation for you.

Research showing that ME/CFS is primarily a neuro-inflammatory disorder is growing every year now. ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger is on the cutting edge of research on neuro-inflammation in ME/CFS.

Congrats on finding something that really helps you!

One important characteristic of melatonin is its permeability into the brain.

It readily passes through the blood-brain-barrier and accumulates in the central nervous system at substantially higher levels than exist in the blood.

As a result, this molecule exhibits strong neuroprotective effects, especially under the conditions of elevated oxidative stress or intensive neural inflammation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001209/

Hip

I've taken 5 mg of melatonin every night for nearly 10 years, primary to help me get to sleep quicker, but I am also aware of melatonin's various health benefits.

Melatonin is one of the few supplements on this list which boost the mitochondrial complexes.