• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Med Hypoth: Impairment of the E3 subunit or crossover of swinging arms of the E2 subunit of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (Bohne 2019)

Murph

:)
Med Hypotheses. 2019 Sep;130:109260. doi: 10.1016/j.mehy.2019.109260. Epub 2019 Jun 14.
Suggested pathology of systemic exertion intolerance disease: Impairment of the E3 subunit or crossover of swinging arms of the E2 subunit of the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex decreases regeneration of cofactor dihydrolipoic acid of the E2 subunit.
Bohne VJB1, Bohne Ø2.
Author information
1Romledalen 51, 5310 Hauglandshella, Norway. Electronic address: oe-bohne@online.no.2Romledalen 51, 5310 Hauglandshella, Norway.
Abstract
Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease (SEID) or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has an unknown aetiology, with no known treatment and a prevalence of approximately 22 million individuals (2%) in Western countries. Although strongly suspected, the role of lactate in pathology is unknown, nor has the nature of the two most central symptoms of the condition - post exertional malaise and fatigue.

The proposed mechanism of action of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex (PDC) plays a central role in maintaining energy production with cofactors alpha-lipoic acid (LA) and its counterpart dihydrolipoic acid (DHLA), its regeneration suggested as the new rate limiting factor. Decreased DHLA regeneration due to impairment of the E3 subunit or crossover of the swinging arms of the E2 subunit of PDC have been suggested as a cause of ME/CFS/SEID resulting in instantaneous fluctuations in lactate levels and instantaneous offset of the DHLA/LA ratio and defining the condition as an LA deficiency with chronic instantaneous hyperlactataemia with explicit stratification of symptoms.

While instantaneous hyperlactataemia has been suggested to account for the PEM, the fatigue was explained by the downregulated throughput of pyruvate and consequently lower production of ATP with the residual enzymatic efficacy of the E3 subunit or crossover of the E2 as a proposed explanation of the fatigue severity. Functional diagnostics and visualization of instantaneous elevations of lactate and DHLA has been suggested. Novel treatment strategies have been implicated to compensate for chronic PDC impairment and hyperlactataemia. This hypothesis potentially influences the current understanding and treatment methods for any type of hyperlactataemia, fatigue, ME/CFS/SEID, and conditions associated with PDC impairment.
Copyright © 2019. Published by Elsevier Ltd.
KEYWORDS:
Alpha-lipoic acid; Chronic fatigue syndrome; Crossover; Deficiency; Diagnostics; Dihydrolipoic acid; Electrochemical circuit; Fatigue; Hyperlactataemia; Instantaneous fluctuations of lactate; Myalgic encephalopathy; Post exertional malaise; Pyruvate dehydrogenase complex; Shuttle; Swinging arms; Systemic exertion intolerance disease
PMID: 31383326 DOI: 10.1016/j.mehy.2019.109260

I asked a Professor in Medicine specialized in ME/CFS about what he thinks of this hypothesis. His answer was "I'm honestly not able to follow the reasoning, but this is still highly interesting." Hopefully it's just because of a lack of talent for explaining by the author. Taking into account that there seems to be att least five people that have gone from bedridden to a decently active life, Bohnes seem to have set the course right in some way, IMHO.

bread.

I asked a Professor in Medicine specialized in ME/CFS about what he thinks of this hypothesis. His answer was "I'm honestly not able to follow the reasoning, but this is still highly interesting." Hopefully it's just because of a lack of talent for explaining by the author. Taking into account that there seems to be att least five people that have gone from bedridden to a decently active life, Bohnes seem to have set the course right in some way, IMHO.

Who is Bohne? Researcher or doctor and where? Where did you find these patients accounts?

Victoria Bohne is the creator of this "drinkable" that you can read about in the threads linked below. Researcher that used to work for the Norwegian salmon industry before she fell ill. Try googling her name to find some of her publications.

Her patients are not allowed to share any information, as I gather not even disclose that they're receiving the treatment. Some who have disobeyed seem to have been threatened with having the treatment cancelled. But I've been told there was some stirr in a couple of Norwegian Facebook groups some time ago, that was quickly suppressed.

https://www.s4me.info/threads/paten...r-treatment-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.4530/

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ent-for-me-cfs-treatment-using-oxalate.60406/

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...eatment-by-victoria-bohne-in-norwegian.44871/