• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEAction launch their manifesto for Scotland

Countrygirl

https://www.meaction.net/2018/10/28/meaction-scotland-manifesto/

After many, many months of writing, editing and revising, #MEAction Scotland is finally ready to launch its manifesto! Thank you to all the volunteers and members of the community who have added their ideas and thoughts to shape this document. The purpose of this document is to highlight those areas where we feel our lobbying activity can most effectively bring about the improvements still so badly needed in the treatment of people with ME.

Key issues on which lobbying will focus:

• Discontinuation of PACE-type Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) in Scotland
  • Investment in biomedical research
  • Education and training of healthcare professionals
  • Increased accessibility to and investment in care
Read the manifesto

The manifesto is intended both as a commitment to action and as evidence of our wider undertaking to be as transparent as possible regarding our work as #MEAction Scotland. It should not, however, be regarded as set in stone. It will be regularly reviewed by the #MEAction Scotland steering group in the light of priorities identified by the #MEAction Scotland community and we will publish an updated version every 6 months. Additionally, we will review the manifesto when #MEAction’s policy and values statements are published. #MEAction Scotland will participate in the creation of these policies with the #MEAction community and will reflect them in the manifesto.

Specific demands we will be making include the immediate removal of CBT/GET from the Scottish Good Practice Statement. Whilst we support the use of appropriate psychological therapy designed to support patients coping with chronic disease, we condemn the use of CBT based on the psychosocial model, which asserts that ME is perpetuated by patients’ beliefs and “deconditioning”. Furthermore, we will seek removal of PACE-style CBT and GET from all education and training materials while bringing pressure to bear on organisations to ensure that revised resources comply with the classification of ME by the World Health Organisation.

We will be calling on the Scottish Chief Scientist Office to give a commitment to ring fence investment of £1 million a year in biomedical research.