• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME Research UK (MERUK): Breakthrough magazine

Pyrrhus

ME Research UK (MERUK) has published the Fall 2020 edition of their Breakthrough magazine:
https://www.meresearch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/BreakthroughAutumn2020.pdf

Excerpts:
Welcome to the twentieth anniversary issue of Breakthrough. Along with new articles, we have included some of the content from our previous issue (spring 2020) which, due to COVID-19, was only available online.

We are all still dealing with the impact of that pandemic, but growing attention on “Long COVID” and its parallels with ME/CFS does offer hope that we will see further focus on ME/CFS. We continue to inform, influence and invest in research, and are hopeful that this year will see us pass the £2 million mark of cumulative investment, with both the funding and ambition to continue well beyond this.

Breakthrough magazine is published by ME Research UK, a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation with the principal aim of commissioning and funding high-quality scientific (biomedical) investigation into the causes, consequences and treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

The charity also aims to energise ME research by identifying potentially important areas for future biomedical research, and producing high quality professional reviews and reports. Breakthrough is an open access publication and, apart from images and illustrations, the content may be reproduced free of charge, subject to the terms and conditions found at meres.uk/bt-terms.

Pyrrhus

ME Research UK (MERUK) has published the Spring 2021 edition of their Breakthrough Magazine:
https://www.meresearch.org.uk/research/breakthrough-magazine/?mc_cid=55eb9e6a81&mc_eid=UNIQID

Excerpt:
MERUK said:
Welcome to the new issue of Breakthrough magazine.

Along with many other features, this issue focuses on two new ME Research UK-funded studies exploring the potential role of viral infections in ME/CFS.

This will be of particular interest to those who state that their illness was triggered by a viral infection, and highly relevant given current thinking over long COVID. Dr Nuno Sepulveda at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is looking at Epstein-Barr virus, while Prof. Elisa Oltra is investigating the link between human
endogenous retroviruses and ME/CFS. We are delighted to be supporting these two new pieces of research. You can read more about them on page 7.

Pyrrhus

ME Research UK (MERUK) has published the Autumn 2021 edition of their Breakthrough Magazine:
https://www.meresearch.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/BreakthroughAutumn2021.pdf

Excerpt:
MERUK said:
Welcome to this issue of Breakthrough. I’m delighted that in our twenty-first year, we have now funded over £2.1 million of research projects globally, and have a healthy pipeline of new applications, and the money available to fund those that pass our rigorous scientific review process...