• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME preventing antibody response to covid?

xena

Hi all- I've had several negative tests, one blood one mucus but my doctor claims that I may be unable to mount an immune response sufficient to generate a positive result.

I've had lung pain since about February so wondering if it's possible.

xebex

I think this is what Dr Prusty has found, that some pwME don’t have enough energy in their cells for a virus to replicate - something like that.

bensmith

Sorry im confused. You think you have covid but cant test positive on a test?

Im long covid person and you can only test positive the first week or maybe 2nd week. But the pvf can last months. Many, even those without pem on the covid boatds, still have symtpkms. Mine only lasted 4 months but then i got crippling pem later after.

Sorry not sure if this is what uou are asking. But there is no way you would test positive from feb. someone who did would be an extreme outlier, indont think we even have that on record. Did he scan your lungs for covid damage? I believe mri is the the standard, ct doesnt always work.

Oh, antibodies? I never had them and no many who never had them. Many many people.

Esp from feb id be very suprised even if you didnhave them that youd still have them now.

Last edited:

xena

Hi Ben, yes that's what I mean about not being able to test positive on a test. I thought I would test positive for the blood test after several months but turned out not to.

No, but I will seek out the MRI

bensmith

Ok then yes i woukd say this is well within average to fail to show antibodies from February. You would be an outlier to still have them, from my experience.

Good luck. I think it takes some time for lungs to heal.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
It is quite unlikely that ME will lead to a lack of antibodies being formed against SARS-2.

But negative results on serology tests can also be due to imperfect sensitivity. And despite people saying that 'oh just repeat the test, if the sensitivity is low', that doesn't always work if there are systemic reasons for the lack of sensitivity. A lot of the off-the-shelf assays have very poor sensitivity, compared to tests conducted by professional labs.

There were other respiratory infections circulating back in February that could be an alternative cause.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I think this is what Dr Prusty has found, that some pwME don’t have enough energy in their cells for a virus to replicate - something like that.

This reminds me of Lehner's reseach which suggested that HHV6 blocks EBV reproduction. I also had covid symptoms (no DNA testing was available or done) but no antibodies on followup after three months.

Another possibility is that high GcMAF levels from viruses are blocking macrophages from generating antibodies. As long as innate immunity was working (i.e. killer T-cells) one would clear the virus but not develop immunity.

Last edited: