• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/LC Legislative Advocacy in MN

Dakota15

Last Friday (3/31/23), 3 ME patients & a ME/LC expert physician testified at the Health and Human Services Finance and Policy Committee in the MN Senate.

They testified in support of Governor Walz’s Long COVID budget proposal (https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...sal-seeks-6-3m-for-emerging-long-covid-crisis). Their testimony was reinforced by a bevy of supportive written testimonies from the community.

Their virtual testimonies begin at, if interested in viewing:

2:26 minute mark: Director, Minnesota ME/CFS Alliance, Billy Hanlon
2:31: Chair of MEAction MN, Terri Wilder
3:18: President, Minnesota ME/CFS Alliance, Suzanne Wheeler
3:37: ME/CFS Clinic Minnesota, Dr. Ruby Tam

Dr. Ruby Tam's testimony:

“I am Dr. Ruby Tam, I am the founder of the ME/CFS Clinic Minnesota. I am also a Family Doctor for over 10 years. Since 2016, I have been treating patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. We abbreviate that as ME/CFS.

People with this disease are often dismissed by their doctors and they are told that it is all in their head, that they are depressed, or that they are lazy. Then when COVID pandemic comes, we now have a lot of people suffering from this mysterious long-term effect after catching COVID.

They cannot get out of bed. They might walk and talk like you and I do, but they cannot drive themselves. They cannot take a shower every day because it is too exhausting. It's like running a marathon for them.

COVID is one of the many triggers of ME/CFS. We still don't know why some people just cannot get over the disease. We don't have a test to confirm if someone has Long COVID or ME/CFS. We doctors are very overwhelmed by these patients because they are very complicated - we have no answer for them or cure for them.

Their families and friends are becoming their caretakers because they cannot just shop for food or do laundry. We need funding to help these people – to put food on the table, to hire someone to help them, to do chores, to educate doctors, how to diagnose the disease, and to teach them how to treat them.

We need funding, to understand what causes ME/CFS and Long COVID - so we can find cures to bring these people back to work. I need your help - doctors need your help - all the patients with ME/CFS and Long COVID - need your help. I hope that you guys are able to pass the funding that is mentioned in this Bill.

Thank you. Thank you very much."

Just wanted to share here for advocacy purposes.

Dakota15

Sharing an advocacy update here for Minnesota.

MN legislation is meeting over the next few days & weeks to determine what is funded & at what level in the omnibus bill. They are meeting to discuss the House version (HF2930) & Senate version (SF2995) of the omnibus bill - and to reconcile differences between the two. Both versions have included proposed language & budget to establish a state-funded Long COVID program in MN.
  • The House version only has a one-time appropriation for funding, meaning the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) would receive state funds for one biennium (fiscal years 2024 and 2025), and $0 thereafter.
  • The Senate includes full funding beyond the next biennium. They also added language that would expand the scope of our work to include “related conditions” – post-infection conditions such as ME/CFS and POTS potentially stemming from acute illnesses other than COVID-19 (sharing screenshot on this below).
The legislative session ends after May 22, so conference committee members will be making a lot of decisions in the coming days and weeks - we're hopeful the Senate version will make it through!

Dakota15

In Minneapolis, MN this week, for World ME Day.

MN is recognizing on May 11th as their community is meeting that day (so they can partake in federal/international efforts on the 12th). Just wanted to share

ngfjz7xy4hya1.png

Dakota15

Update:

Star Tribune: 'Budget that expands Minnesota health care, abortion access, heads to governor'

'The HHS bill includes research into long COVID and support for people suffering from the post-pandemic condition.'

If this is the Senate version of the HHS bill that has passed to the Governor's desk (which has been speculated), I believe this may be the first state in the US (Minnesota) with dedicated funding set aside for Long COVID & related conditions, in which it named ME/CFS & POTS.

From a contact at Minnesota Department of Health: "The Senate includes full funding beyond the next biennium (fiscal years 2024 and 2025). They also added language that would expand the scope of work to include “related conditions” – post-infection conditions such as ME/CFS and POTS potentially stemming from acute illnesses other than COVID-19."

This is the Senate version of the bill (you can search ME/CFS or Long COVID).