• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS, FM & MCS: Free online copy of Spanish book for doctors

leelaplay

Clara Valverde posted this to co-cure Jan 30 2010

[if: How fantastic that 10,000 paper copies are being distributed to primary care doctors!]

ME/CFS, FM & MCS: Free Book in Spanish

Spain, January 2010

We are happy to be able to send you, in digital form, the new communication manual in Spanish we have published for health professionals on ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia and MCS, "New challenges in the doctor's office: What to do with Fibromyalgia, ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. A communication manual" (Bilbao, Spain: ONEditorial 2009) .

(The version on paper is being distributed, by the company that payed the printing, to 10,000 primary care doctors in Spain. But we, the authors, have rights to the digital form).

We hope it will of use to all of you who work with Spanish-speaking patients and that you will feel free to hang it on your home page and e-mail it to patients, doctors, etc.

Although this book is mainly on how to communicate efficiently with the patient and on the social impact of these illnesses, we have included a chapter on the medical/scientific aspects of each one of these illnesses.

You can download the book from here:

http://www.ligasfc.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=315

The content of the book is the following:

Introduction

Chapter 1: What is happening to this patient? Central Sensibility Syndromes, What they have in common, Society facing CSS, The environment, Do no harm.

Chapter 2: An endless pain: Fibromyalgia. A real pain, Etiology, How can you know it is Fibromyalgia, Treatments and recommendations, Prognosis.

Chapter 3: A lot more than fatigue: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). How the illness develops, How to diagnose, Tests, Functional evaluation, Conclusion.

Chapter 4: Not only smells: Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). MCS, Treatments and Environmental Control, Information for hospital nurses (if you patient has MCS).

Chapter 5: Invisibility, not being believed, not being understood: the added suffering. "They don't belive me", Grieving, When "nothing" is wrong.

Chapter 6: The challenge of these illnesses. Not being taken seriously, The concept of "curing", Fluctuations, Invisibility, The notion of time, Are health care professionals becoming "chronic"?, Always the same story, Satisfaction.

Chapter 7: Communication with patients with FM, ME/CFS and MCS. What are you thinking about the patient? The work with FM, ME/CFS and MCS, How to communicate, Sometimes it is hard to listen, Being there, Therapeutic communication, Empathy, Believing the patient.

Chapter 8: Helping and supporting the patient with his or her challenges. What can I do? The patient's emotions, Discouragement, Anxiety and fear, Anger, The importance of being neutral.

Chapter 9: How to be efficient in concrete situations. When the patient does not have a diagnosis yet, After the diagnosis, When the patient gets worse, Uncertainty and invisibility, The patient's economic and work situation, Challenging the notion of living the illness "well".

Chapter 10: A family member with FM, ME/CFS or MCS. Family dynamics when there is FM, ME/CFS or MCS, Emotions, Communication challenges between family members, Families with children with ME/CFS.

Chapter 11: The voices of doctors and patients (quotes).

Bibliography

Thank-you to my co-authors, Iaki Markez MD PhD and Cristina Visiers MA, for their talent and their commitment to change and education.

Clara Valverde
formacionsalud@hotmail.com

\

JT1024

Thanks for posting this link. I have a colleague who's sister was recently diagnosed and they are both spanish speaking. This will help them both!