Where are the ME/CFS doctors?
Everyone wants to know where the best ME/CFS doctors are. Unfortunately, there are very few doctors that specialize in ME/CFS. Some organizations have put together lists of doctors, but these lists become outdated very quickly. Before you go looking for an ME/CFS doctor, first consider whether or not an ME/CFS specialist would be helpful for you.
There are two types of doctors who may be able to help: 1) those who will be willing to provide a diagnosis of ME/CFS but don't have the knowledge to treat it, and 2) the small minority who diagnose and attempt to treat ME/CFS (with mixed results since response is so individual). Both types of doctors can be helpful, as long as the doctor is willing to listen to the patient and learn as they go.
A useful approach is to first look for a doctor that can help you rule out conditions that share many symptoms with ME/CFS. If the doctor determines that you meet the criteria for a ME/CFS diagnosis, you can then consider looking for a ME/CFS specialist. Be aware that specialists often have very long waiting lists, can be expensive, and, unfortunately, may not have any more helpful information than you might find right here on Phoenix Rising.
- MEAction's worldwide list of doctors - To search by country, click "sort" then "pick a field to sort by".
- U.S. ME/CFS Clinician Coalition - This site provides doctors with information on the diagnosis and management of ME/CFS. It's very useful if you have a doctor who is willing to use it as a reference.
- AMMES list of ME/CFS doctors in the U.S. For more information on AMMES, see this discussion.
- MEpedia also has a crowd-sourced list of doctors.
- Hip's world map of specialists treating ME/CFS and chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS).
- Health Rising has links to more lists of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia doctors.
And, of course, you can search Phoenix Rising for information on specific doctors or specific geographical areas:
- Although there is a search link found near the top-right corner of each page, our Google Site Search can sometimes return more relevant results.
- However, note that the search link found near the top-right corner of each page searches the entire discussion forum, but the Google Site Search only searches public posts, excluding any posts that are viewable only by members.
- We recommend trying the Google Site Search first, then the built-in search found near the top-right corner of each page.
If someone finds other resources for finding doctors, please post them in this discussion.
Best wishes to your health!