• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mast cell meds/adrenals

outdamnspot

A family friend who's a retired GP thinks I have MCAS and suggested trying an otc h1/h2 blocker to help curb my food intolerances. However, I was nervous because of how generally frail and sensitive I am. The logic is probably a bit shaky but when I am having histamine reactions, I am often 'energized', even though it's unpleasant adrenaline type energy, so I was wondering if antihistamines tend to lower cortisol or crash people's adrenals?

Blake2e

A family friend who's a retired GP thinks I have MCAS and suggested trying an otc h1/h2 blocker to help curb my food intolerances. However, I was nervous because of how generally frail and sensitive I am. The logic is probably a bit shaky but when I am having histamine reactions, I am often 'energized', even though it's unpleasant adrenaline type energy, so I was wondering if antihistamines tend to lower cortisol or crash people's adrenals?
You very likely have secondary POTS (secondary to your allergies/mast cells) going on as well. Same exact thing happens to me. Drugs that decrease histamine or block histamine receptors should help with that dirty adrenalized feeling youre getting. That adrenaline is your body's response to excess histamine. Adrenaline is an antihistamine. I would give the h1 and h2 blockers a try.

outdamnspot

You very likely have secondary POTS (secondary to your allergies/mast cells) going on as well. Same exact thing happens to me. Drugs that decrease histamine or block histamine receptors should help with that dirty adrenalized feeling youre getting. That adrenaline is your body's response to excess histamine. Adrenaline is an antihistamine. I would give the h1 and h2 blockers a try.

What time of day do you take them?

Blake2e

Do they tend to 'crash' you?
Ive never experienced a crash or a rebound, though the gen 1 H1s usually make me feel like sedated crap when they start working so I only take them if nothing else is working for sleep. Some say there might be a rebound sort of effect if after long term use you drop it cold turkey, but I havent experienced this either.

Last edited: