• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mass hysteria may explain 'sonic attacks' in Cuba, say top neurologists

Chrisb

What does Granaud mean? I've seen this in other posts but couldn't figure it out!

The story is that shortly after criticism of typos and spelling mistakes in the newspaper an edition was printed bearing the masthead The Grauniad. It was not made clear how this happened but it was assumed to be a joke by someone involved. It has always seemed worth continuing the joke.

EDIT the term became standard in Private Eye.

ladycatlover

I can't imagine those diplomats and intelligence officers are going to be thrilled to be labelled hysterics. Perhaps they will have more of a chance of fighting the diagnosis than the usual bunch of young nurses or cheerleaders.

Or ME patients. :bang-head: Or those people at Camelford. :eek: What I can't understand is why the Grauniad didn't get in touch with their favourite psychiatrist, Prof Sir Simon. :alien:

Seven7

Seven
Of course could not be side effect of the battery of vaccines given when you go to a third world country or side effect of the pills they give you ( I think antimalaria or something like that)

anciendaze

I'd like to hear their explanation for recordings of these sounds. This should require some fancy footwork by psychologists. Incidentally, the Cuban government need not be the culprit, there are a number of other nations with people in Cuba, like the DPRK, which are not at all happy with the U.S. If you consider this too far fetched, consider what happened to Kim's half-brother in Malaysia. That episode would look bizarre in a James Bond flick.

Wayne

Beware of Listening to These Sounds!

Haven't read this whole thread, but did want to mention that while watching the evening news on NBC last week, they played part of the sonic noise in question, at a very low volume, for only a couple of seconds. The discordant screeching, even at a low volume, literally sent shivers through my body (I have serious hyperacusis).

Gingergrrl

Beware of Listening to These Sounds!

I agree and at one point, one of the news websites (I think it was CNN) had a link if you wanted to hear the sound but I did NOT click on it and had no idea how it could affect someone's hearing (even in a healthy person, let alone in someone who was already sick)!