• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Marked improvement from apples

Wayne

This is what Anthony William says about apples from his "Liver Rescue" book.

My wife just got done doing her 2nd liver cleanse based on this book, and ate apples during the whole time. Otherwise, she doesn't eat apples at all. -- I have a friend who recently "raved" about how adding pectin to his diet got rid of virtually all his aches and pains. It's sort of an expensive supplement, and since I already ate a lot of apples, haven't tried taking it myself.

But an interesting experiment might be to stop eating apples, and only take pectin as a separate supplement, and see if there continues to be benefits that have been noted from eating just apples. Might pinpoint just how much of a factor the pectin is. -- Almond butter on 1-2 large apples (usually Fuji) is one of my daily staples.

Tammy

My wife just got done doing her 2nd liver cleanse based on this book, and ate apples during the whole time.
I havn't done the cleanse yet but plan on it this Spring. I think I counted 21 apples to be eaten over a period of 9 days........with the other suggested foods.

Peyt

I ate two apples a day (breakfast + dessert) for two months and noticed a marked improvement in symptoms. I eventually had to stop them altogether due to horrible gas + other gastro issues after my last crash. I think the safest recommendation is an apple a day, or an apple every other day for maximum effect long term. Part of my latest crash was definitely caused by other factors, but the apples seemed to cause a potential overgrowth of Bacteroides - which came back high when I tested my microbiome via Thryve.

I think apples may target two parts of the negative feedback loop in ME/CFS:
  1. Malic acid playing a key role in metabolic pathways.
  2. Pectin in apples modulate gut bacteria, which may alter gut dysbiosis/homeostasis.

EDIT: Thryve data analysis during my two months eating apples. Shout out to CFSRemission on building the tool to analyze this in detail.
View attachment 36222
@ShepherdK
Did Thryve make the recommendation for eating apples or was that something you researched on your own?
I am curious to see what their recommendations (both food and probiotics) look like, would you mind posting that?
Thanks so much,
Peyt

AnnieT

This is interesting as since my health declined I have been having an apple a day ... it is one of the few foods I find appealing.

I remember reading somewhere (it could be untrue of course!) that having an apple in the morning can have a similar stimulating effect on the body as a coffee ... in a healthy person that is.

knackers323

It’s only day two but it looks to be the Malic acid
1600mg of a morning with food and feeling much better
Hopefully it lasts

Anyone know why magnesium is often given with Malic acid ?

EddieB

but the apples seemed to cause a potential overgrowth of Bacteroides

I have a similar problem with apples. I was eating them baked with a little cinnamon. Went fine at times, but of last, terrible gastro symptoms.

I’ve tested negative for SIBO, but I’m convinced something is overgrown.

- which came back high when I tested my microbiome via Thryve.
Did they tell how to correct this? I did Viome testing which was pretty useless.