• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Marijuana May Help Multiple Sclerosis Patients?

G

green1706

Researchers note that doses of cannabis (marijuana) have been shown to reduce the muscle spasms experienced by many people who have multiple sclerosis. The use of medical marijuana continues to be a struggle in the United States. Although it has been shown to be very effective in treating various diseases and illnesses, including chronic pain, nausea, glaucoma, seizure disorders, PTSD, cancer, diabetes, and others, many people risk arrest when they use marijuana for medicinal purposes. In October 2009, President Obama stated that his administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers if they conform to state laws.
Although research indicates that cannabinoids offer benefits for multiple sclerosis patients because they can reduce inflammation and they have quelled spasms in animal studies, some officials, including regulators and researchers, have been concerned about the intoxicating side effects of THC. The authors of the recent paper, however, note that the combination of THC and CBD can limit psychotropic effects. They also note that the multiple sclerosis patients in the studies they evaluated generally well tolerated the side effects of the combined marijuana extracts.

:confused:

MEKoan

Worked fairly well for me for a few years but may have allowed me to push harder longer to get where I am now which isn't necessarily where I would want to be.

It helped keep me upright but now all it does is make me feel physically poisoned. Could be a different strain (different strains have different qualities - some are more energizing, some more sedating) or it may no longer work for me. It kept me up and working for several years, though, just don't know what the cost was.

Mithriel

I go to an MS therapy centre where many of the MS people were on clinical trials for cannabis.

It didn't do much for them. The side effects made most of them stop, things like badly swollen feet and legs, nausea and so on.

Some of them were using the actual plant, smoking or in chocolate, but I only heard of one person who felt it helped. Even for spasms and pain other things work better.

There was a general air of disappointment about it as they had high hopes from what they had heard.

Mithriel

flybro

It's the love

This is for the stuff that grows out in the yard in good weather

The earlier you cut and dry the plants the higher more buzzy energised effects.
The longer it's left the more sedative, slowing and calming it gets.

My Great Aunt used it for her MS, she thought it was great.

I think the love the consumer puts into growing and preparing it is what matters most. Much the same as home grown herbs, veggies and fruit.

Big Pharma and drug dealers don't put love into their products so its a lot harder to get healing out of them.

Jody

Just a reminder to people who may yet post here, that if you have had a good experience smoking marijuana, keep in mind as you share that we don't know who all may be reading and monitoring these forums.

Don't post anything you wouldn't want the world to know. :)

valia

This is for the stuff that grows out in the yard in good weather

The earlier you cut and dry the plants the higher more buzzy energised effects.
The longer it's left the more sedative, slowing and calming it gets.

My Great Aunt used it for her MS, she thought it was great.

I think the love the consumer puts into growing and preparing it is what matters most. Much the same as home grown herbs, veggies and fruit.

Big Pharma and drug dealers don't put love into their products so its a lot harder to get healing out of them.

I have a friend who has used it for years for her MS, she used to buy it but now grows her own. She tells me that the stuff you buy is tampered with and is no longer harmless.

I should say that I have seen her unable to walk when she has been without it, with it she functions normally and leads an active life.

JustJack

put on yer dancin' shoes
California Medical Marijuana

In California, Medical Marijuana is legal and dispensories abound now.
Prescriptions are easily obtained and even Kaiser system docs will issue recommendations. So it is not a matter of legality and therefore medicinal use is a much more available element in helping with symptom relief.

The stigma, when it is lifted for the whole country, will lead to more and more use of this natural treatment. If it works for a patient, it REALLY works. It provides relief from nausea, vomiting, increases appetite, calms nerves, helps with pain and muscular issues and provides strength for late in the day.

Why do you think that so many use it? There is much more to be gained
from exploring its use for chronic neuroimmune illness.

JJ

CBS

Smoking anything

If you are thinking about going this route, please keep in mind that whatever the effects of the THC, etc., the 'delivery system' may have a huge impact on your body.

As a former substance counselor, I was never that concerned about the long term effects of nicotine, but the smoke (granted, cigarettes have a ridiculous amount of additives) is going to have big impact (a huge amount of research backs this up). You may get used to the smoke overtime but those of us that are having heart, breathing and circulatory issues, think about how you're getting this into your body. I understand that there are alternatives :rolleyes:.