• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mangosteen pericarp for mitochondrial dysfunction

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
Here's new treatment potential for mitochondrial dysfunction
...and more, using the mangosteen fruit pericarp:
Front. Psychiatry, 13 March 2019
https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00115

The Therapeutic Potential of Mangosteen Pericarp as an Adjunctive Therapy for Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia
…"This review proposes that Garcinia mangostana Linn. (mangosteen) pericarp is a possible adjunctive therapeutic agent"...
"Mangosteen pericarp has antioxidant, putative neuroprotective, anti-inflammatory, and putative mitochondrial enhancing properties, with animal studies demonstrating favorable pharmacotherapeutic benefits with respect to these disorders..."

"To further illustrate the biomarkers and mechanistic pathways mangosteen pericarp may have an effect on, Figure 1 provides a summary of the molecular pathways implicated in oxidative stress, inflammation and mitochondrial function and which may be targeted by mangosteen pericarp."...

"Mitochondrial Enhancing Properties of Mangosteen Pericarp

Many of the biological targets for mangosteen pericarp and its isolates involve the mitochondria. For example, when mitochondrial dysfunction was induced in vitro via 3-NP, increased oxidative stress was mitigated by α-mangostin (72, 73, 75). It was further suggested that α-mangostin may modulate apoptosis associated with mitochondrial pathways (86). This shows how complex and inter-related the mitochondrial, oxidative stress, and inflammation pathways are, and suggests the potential of treatments that can target these pathways."...

"Clinical Trials of Mangosteen Pericarp

Mangosteen pericarp, as well as isolated compounds such as α-mangostin, have been demonstrated in both animal and in vitro studies to favorably modulate pathways relevant to mitochondrial function, inflammation, and oxidative stress."...

"Safety Profile of Mangosteen Pericarp

Whilst current clinical evidence is limited, several studies demonstrate that mangosteen pericarp appears to have a good safety profile and is well-tolerated. In animal models, mangosteen pericarp has been shown to reduce blood glucose levels, suggesting it could be used as a treatment for diabetes mellitus and that consumption of mangosteen pericarp may need to be supervised in patients undergoing insulin therapy (91, 115). In the insulin resistance study (110), gastrointestinal upset were the only reported adverse events and this occurred across both groups."...

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@Hip Have you tried mangosteen pericarp? There is some available - Emerald Brand. I'd love to hear what you think of it?

Hip

@Hip Have you tried mangosteen pericarp?

I have not tried it, though have tried a number of other supplements that boost mitochondria functioning in various ways, but without noticing any benefits.

I think if you want to have an impact on the mitochondria in a way that will benefit ME/CFS, you need to address the specific mitochondrial dysfunction that may be present in ME/CFS. For example, there is some suggestion that pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) is inhibited in ME/CFS, so a supplement such as dichloroacetate which stimulates PDH should then be helpful (and some studies indicate it is).

Rufous McKinney

In animal models, mangosteen pericarp has been shown to reduce blood glucose levels, suggesting it could be used as a treatment for diabetes mellitus and that consumption of mangosteen pericarp may need to be supervised in patients undergoing insulin therapy

But: doesn't mangosteen contain alot of sugar (fructose) and so I am just wondering about that....

Its blood de-stagnating, per my diet advisors. Used to eat dried mangosteen, but it got too difficult to chew all that.