• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

xploit316

Hi everyone, another day another food intolerance. It seems lately I have developed an intolerance to any food or drinks that contain maltose. I get severe bloating and scalp eczema from boiled white rice, sprouted mung bean (which I used to tolerate before), my liquid vitamin supplement (contains malt). It seems starches when come in contact with amylase gets converted to maltose.

I am already hypothyroid, celiac and have lactose/gluten/high fiber intolerance but now maltose has made it to this list. Does anybody else have this, any tips/tricks to counter this? Thanks a lot.

Wishful

I don't know about maltose intolerance, but with ME, intolerance to nearly anything seems possible. I recently developed intolerance to a fibre metabolite, likely propionate, but I'm checking butter today to see whether it might be butyrate. Why would we suddenly develop intolerance to basic sugars or organic acids? It's a mystery. What to do about it? Unless you can figure out a treatment, the solution is to avoid whatever it is that makes you feel worse. I have been/am avoiding a fair(unfair?) portion of what normal people are able to eat.

This disease simply sucks. :grumpy:

Wishful

BTW, intolerances aren't necessarily permanent. Several of mine have come and gone, some possibly due to specific treatments, others just because ME changes over time. Will my fibre metabolite intolerance stay for months or years or decades? I'll know when/if it goes away.