• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mail online Sophia Mirza piece

pollycbr125

I believe this will be published in the Mail on Sundays YOU magazine tomorrow . The article has just appeared online .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you...hters-losing-battle-ME-She-went-hellhole.html
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories
Aged just 32, Sophia Mirza lost her life to ME the first time the condition was recorded as an official cause of death in the UK. Here, her mother talks to Louette Harding about Sophias excruciating final years and the torment they suffered at the hands of a health profession that didnt know how to treat her illness

pollycbr125

hard to believe that no lessons have been learned from this . sophias story should have put an end to how me/cfs patients are treated in this country ...... maybe just maybe one day it will and sophia will finally be able to be at peace

justinreilly

From the Mail article:
Following [Sophia's death], Criona complained to several professional bodies. The independent investigating officer, upholding some of Criona’s complaints, wrote that her letters and transcripts of conversations show Sophia to be 'intelligent ... …coherent…with no obvious sign of mental disorder… That her decision to turn down treatment was very uncomfortable for doctors does not invalidate her right to make that decision.’
[Emphasis added]

It's sad this needs to be said.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Brilliant article. As you can see my sig is a quote from Criona Wilson (Sophia's Mother). That article gave me another one:

If people in high places say things, they expect others to believe them, and others believe them because they dont check, and then it becomes the so-called truth. And ultimately, my experience is that when something goes wrong, people dont ask, How can we make it right? They just close ranks.

Min

Thank you so much, what a heartbreaking account - Criona is a very brave lady to keep on fighting for us.

Please does anyone know if this is in the Mail on Sunday today? What a wonderful contrast to the Guardian's article the other day that could have been written by Wessely himself..

Letters to the editor at the Mail on Sunday, with full address and phone no (will not be published) should be sent to:
letters@mailonsunday.co.uk

Misfit Toy

It's dreadful and so sad. You read stories like this and can't believe there isn't more recognition. It's also frightening to realize just how serious this illness is. It's scary. I will never get used to it and especially because as serious as it is, no one takes it seriously.

starryeyes

We will never forget Sophia Mirza and her mother is to be commended for continuing to shine a light on this tragedy and for being willing to speak up and be heard about this terrible injustice that was done to her daughter. Every time I read about this Sophia's story it gets to me. Her mother did everything right and completely supported Sophia in the way we all wish and need to be supported.

All of those who suffer from severe ME or have been in the severe stages of it know what a Godsend it is to have someone who is willing to accommodate our needs in the same manner that Criona treated Sophia. I have complete respect for Criona.

Rest in Peace Sophia. You were valiant and beautiful and deserved better treatment from your government and from your doctors. I can only hope and pray they learn from your life and from your tragic death.