• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAIDS - aids like virus

Kati

Patient in training
Glenp it would really help if you could provide a link where you got that information. Thanks.

Carrigon

That name is almost as bad as CFS. Can you imagine the press jokes if we had MAIDS Disease? UGH. I can just picture the SNL comedy skit of someone cleaning like crazy.

starryeyes

Wo! This article is from 2001!! And it says:

"Finally, Jolicur hopes his probing into retroviruses will give him insight into both HIV and another AIDS-like virus known as MAIDS. This is a mouse retrovirus that causes a mild immune deficiency and lymphoma -caused by an infection of the B-cells. He will also use a transgenic mouse model that has been infected with HIV-1 in his research to duplicate the progression of the disease and to develop new therapies for fighting it."

parvofighter

Thanks glenp!

This is really interesting stuff glenp - thanks for posting. Do you think MAIDS is just another name for XMRV?
Finally, Jolicur hopes his probing into retroviruses will give him insight into both HIV and another AIDS-like virus known as MAIDS. This is a mouse retrovirus that causes a mild immune deficiency and lymphoma -caused by an infection of the B-cells. He will also use a transgenic mouse model that has been infected with HIV-1 in his research to duplicate the progression of the disease and to develop new therapies for fighting it.
I agree, awful name... And it does seem a bit ludicrous to say that it causes "mild" immune deficiency - oh, and by the way, lymphoma too. Good that he's already thinking about translation into therapies.

So what does MAIDS stand for - Murine acquired immunodeficiency? And has Jolicoeur completed his ME/CFS studies? Did he succeed? Did he use Canadian-criteria ME/CFS patients (please God!). Were his lab methods comparable?

I feel some digging coming on... Anyone have a scoop on this?

Parvo:Retro smile:

starryeyes

No worries about that at all Parvo! At the moment none of the Feature Buttons are working for me so I cannot Bold or Color or use the Quote button or Emotes! Ahh!
I'm in withdrawl....

So I'm glad you did and I like your questions. I just emailed Jolicur to ask about this study and it's similarity to XMRV and what became of it and is the 2001 date right?

I'll let you all know as soon as I receive an answer.

giggle Julius!

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
In case you guys don't know, he's been working on XMRV since the science study.

And it looks to me like the MAIDS is infecting mice, not peeps.

parvofighter

Bad boy Parvo!! I know you're excited....but not on the carpet!!
Mr XMRV 3b..jpg

Aw shucks julius. I hang my head in -
er - I stick my head in my bucket.

And teej - THANKS for emailing Dr J! Go teej, go!:victory:

G'nite folks, Parvo:Retro smile:

Chris

Just to add a note to what Julius said, he is leading one of the attempts to replicate the WPI finding on XMRV--have not heard any reports on success yet. Chris

MEKoan

Thanks much for this up Glenp!

Teejkay said:
At the moment none of the Feature Buttons are working for me so I cannot Bold or Color or use the Quote button or Emotes! Ahh!
I'm in withdrawl....

Start quote: [ QUOTE = nic ] without spaces. End quote [ /QUOTE ] without spaces.

:hug: = : smiley-hug : no spaces
:victory: = : victory : no spaces
;) = : winking : no spaces
:ashamed: = : ashamed : no spaces
:worried: = : worried : no spaces
:innocent1: = : innocent1 : no spaces
:D = : cheeky grin : space between cheeky and grin (!) none before/after :
:mask: = : mask : no spaces
:tear: = : tear : no spaces
:scared: = : scared : no spaces
:D = : cheshire : no spaces

signs are all : sign whattheysay :

I don't want you limited in any way!

Andrew

I don't know if people remember this, but when the name AIDS was first assigned, people thought the name sounded like a diet aid. I think I remember an edible product back then with a similar name.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I was volunteering at a school and was a teacher's "aid." They stopped calling all of us "aids."
But MAIDS? That sounds more troublesome.

teej,

The same is true for colors, bolds, underline, etc. without the extra space.

red[/COLOR ]
green[/COLOR ]
teal[/COLOR ]
etc.

bold[/B ]
underline[/U ]

Hope it gets fixed soon.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Pleez let us know the response from Jolicoeur Tee

I emailed him awhile back asking how long it will be and he said depending on how much they find. He has had blood samples for 5 months. I havent seen anyone post their results from that study. I understand that he has since applied for more funding so wonder if that means that he found some? I wonder why those tested are hesitant to post their results?

glen

starryeyes

Thanks much for this up Glenp!

Start quote: [ QUOTE = nic ] without spaces. End quote [ /QUOTE ] without spaces.

:hug: = : smiley-hug : no spaces
:victory: = : victory : no spaces
;) = : winking : no spaces
:ashamed: = : ashamed : no spaces
:worried: = : worried : no spaces
:innocent1: = : innocent1 : no spaces
:D = : cheeky grin : space between cheeky and grin (!) none before/after :
:mask: = : mask : no spaces
:tear: = : tear : no spaces
:scared: = : scared : no spaces
:D = : cheshire : no spaces

signs are all : sign whattheysay :