• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnolia extract from Bulk Supplements - great for sleep

Mary

Moderator Resource
As some of you know, I've been taking a boatload of supplements for sleep for a long time. I don't tolerate prescription sleep meds, and do fair with my regimen. Several weeks ago I started taking magnolia extract (bark) from Bulk Supplements and I am amazed at how well it works for sleep. I tried Relora before, which is a combo of magnolia bark and Phellodendron amurense bark, which never did much for me and is pricey to boot.

I also tried plain magnolia bark from Piping Rock and it helped a tiny bit, but really wasn't worth taking.

But the Bulk Supplements magnolia extract is very powerful. The package says to take 1600 mg. (2/3 teaspoon) a day. Well, I started with 1/4 teaspoon before bed dissolved in water, together with all my other supplements, and then another 1/4 teaspoon when I woke up in the middle of the night. I slept quite well on that, only it left me drugged for an entire day - too much!

So I cut back to 1/8 of a teaspoon before bed and 1/8 teaspoon in the middle of the night, and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. And at this dose, it's quite cheap. I'm hoping it keeps working. I have had several things help for awhile and then stop working as my body adjusted to them. That doesn't seem to be happening with this product, though it might - but at least so far so good!
I also take 5-htp, lots of magnesium glycinate, niacin (the kind that makes you flush), l-theanine, inositol, and gotu kola, and sometimes I add in lemon balm and resveratrol. I'm beginning to think I may be able to cut out some of this, but for now it's working. I also avoid msg or any of the substances related thereto.