• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium injection

Has anyone here ever had a high dose magnesium injection ? My rbc levels are very low under 4.0 and I can’t absorb it through supplements cause of malabsorption issues . Anyone who has had the injections , do they raise the rbc levels well and did you notice your health improve with the high dose injection? If so how many treatments did it take and what dosage ? Thank you

pamojja

I have the same malabsortion issue and had very painful muscle-cramps, which even up to 2.4 g per day of oral elemental magnesium only alleviated somewhat. RBC Mg isn't available to me, but found a very cheap whole blood magnesium test, which reflects the severity of the deficiency very well. Normal range is 34 - 36 mg/dl. My results:

2012: 31,8
2015: 29,9 (a further drop, despite having oral intake above 2 g/d)
2018: 32,8

Only End of 2017 I found a GP who gave me inexpensive Mg-Sulfate IVs (https://www.patienteninfo-service.de/a-z-liste/m/magnesium-verlaR-iv-50-infusionsloesungskonzentrat/). After the 6th IV about April last year the cramps completely ceased, after the 10th IV I had the last Mg whole blood test (all the while condinuing my high oral Mg intake). Therefore with the 3 mg/dl rise it seems I'll need an other 10 IVs in total. Though somewhere I read 8 IVs usually would be enough to correct a severe deficiency, this doesn't seem to be the case with me at all.

In fact, didn't experienced any real PEM since getting Mg-sulfate IVs. Though that is heavily confounded by very strict pacing, having my only root-canal extracted, and taking LDN, to mention a few.

About injection I heard only, that they are very painful (while IVs only give a pervasive calm). Other possible options would be taking Mg-sulfate via nebulizer, enemas, or transtermally (probably most effective with DMSO).

Last edited:

Pearshaped

Has anyone here ever had a high dose magnesium injection ? My rbc levels are very low under 4.0 and I can’t absorb it through supplements cause of malabsorption issues . Anyone who has had the injections , do they raise the rbc levels well and did you notice your health improve with the high dose injection? If so how many treatments did it take and what dosage ? Thank you

Pearshaped

hi i would be interested in the same thing but my gp refuses he says its potentially dangerous .currently i take footbaths with epsom salts.i heard i japan did a woman recover after receiving injections og Mg every month.forgot where i read that.hope you get the injections or at least Iv Magnesium and hope it helps!

I have the same malabsortion issue and had very painful muscle-cramps, which even up to 2.4 g per day of oral elemental magnesium only alleviated somewhat. RBC Mg isn't available to me, but found a very cheap whole blood magnesium test, which reflects the severity of the deficiency very well. Normal range is 34 - 36 mg/dl. My results:

2012: 31,8
2015: 29,9 (a further drop, despite having oral intake above 2 g/d)
2018: 32,8

Only End of 2017 I found a GP who gave me inexpensive Mg-Sulfate IVs (https://www.patienteninfo-service.de/a-z-liste/m/magnesium-verlaR-iv-50-infusionsloesungskonzentrat/). After the 6th IV about April last year the cramps completely ceased, after the 10th IV I had the last Mg whole blood test (all the while condinuing my high oral Mg intake). Therefore with the 3 mg/dl rise it seems I'll need an other 10 IVs in total. Though somewhere I read 8 IVs usually would be enough to correct a severe deficiency, this doesn't seem to be the case with me at all.

In fact, didn't experienced any real PEM since getting Mg-sulfate IVs. Though that is heavily confounded by very strict pacing, having my only root-canal extracted, and taking LDN, to mention a few.

About injection I heard only, that they are very painful (while IVs only give a pervasive calm). Other possible options would be taking Mg-sulfate via nebulizer, enemas, or transtermally (probably most effective with DMSO).
If you’re not absorbing mag does that mean you don’t absorb other nutrients as well?

ukxmrv

Yes, I had Magnesium Sulphate injections and they did raise my blood test levels. This was after a private blood tests showed low.l

The most notifiable symptoms change was a reduction in muscle pain and twitching, Also a small increase in stamina.

pamojja

If you’re not absorbing mag does that mean you don’t absorb other nutrients as well?

I don't believe I don't absorb oral magnesium. Just not at a rate which would replete an already very, very severe deficiency. That could also mean there is also a higher rate of metabolism due to some chronic condition. Or for example higher turn-over by higher 25(OH)D3 serum levels.

Only 1% of the whole bodies magnsium is in blood. In serum it is tightly regulated, since too low serum levels would soon end with death. All the time serum silently robs its needed magnesium from other tissues, like bones. In my severe case serum magnesium never fell below normal, while in blood it was already 200% below normal range. I will never know how much, but by now the amount having to be repleted in the remaining 99% of body tissues might be enourmous, and certainly takes time even with IVs.

I test as many nutrients possible, and with all others with experimentation and patience (admittedly, been too patient with low magnesium for to long) I'm in command of blood levels with oral intake only.

Last edited:
I don't believe I don't absorb oral magnesium. Just not at a rate which would replete an already very, very severe deficiency. That could also mean there is also a higher rate of metabolism due to some chronic condition. Or for example higher turn-over by higher 25(OH)D3 serum levels.

Only 1% of the whole bodies magnsium is in blood. In serum it is tightly regulated, since too low serum levels would soon end with death. All the time serum silently robs its needed magnesium from other tissues, like bones. In my severe case serum magnesium never fell below normal, while in blood it was already 200% below normal range. I will never know how much, but by now the amount having to be repleted in the remaining 99% of body tissues might be enourmous, and certainly takes time even with IVs.

I test as many nutrients possible, and with all others with experimentation and patience (admittedly, been too patient with low magnesium for to long) I'm in command of blood levels with oral intake only.
How severe was your mag deficiency ? and what dose was the iv you were receiving . How much percentage of oral do you absorb ?

pamojja

How severe was your mag deficiency ? and what dose was the iv you were receiving .

I don't understand why you ask again? I posted already 3 distinct test-results, explained the main debilitating symptom, and gave a link to the actual vials taken.

I don't understand why you ask again? I posted already 3 distinct test-results, explained the main debilitating symptom, and gave a link to the actual vials taken.
I couldn’t read the link it was in German . I’m sorry , and do oral magnesium pills make you sleepy when u take them ?

pamojja

I don't get sleepy, on IVs a little bid. Therefore I prefer to get them sitting in a chair. If you do get sleepy from oral its worthwhile changing to different forms of magnesium, to find which doesn't. Here a translation of the IV vials content:

Content of Verla® i.v. 50 %:
Active ingredient is: Magnesiumsulfate
1 Ampule with 10 ml solution:
Magnesiumsulfate‒Heptahydrate: 4930 mg
Magnesium-content: 486,1 mg = 20 mmol = 40 mval
The other ingredient is: Water for the purpose of injektions

Therefore 1 vial contains about 486,1 mg of elemental magnesium. 1 vial in my case is used in a 250 ml salt-solution (I'm glucose intolerant) given IV over about 1 1/2 hours.

5 such vials come in one packet. 1 packet costs about EUR 17,- and is available in local pharmacies without prescription. Last time the pharmacy made the mistake and ordered the same vials but as 10% only. Contained only about 48 mg per vial and was replaced again. You have to read labels very accurate not to get an insufficient dose. If you have to order it through an international pharmacy, you could use google translate.

Last edited:
I don't get sleepy, on IVs a little bid. Therefore I prefer to get them sitting in a chair. If you do get sleepy from oral its worthwhile changing to different forms of magnesium, to find which doesn't. Here a translation of the IV vials content:

Therefore 1 vial contains about 486,1 mg of elemental magnesium. 1 vial in my case is used in a 250 ml salt-solution (I'm glucose intolerant) given IV over about 1 1/2 hours.

5 such vials come in one packet. 1 packet costs about EUR 17,- and is available in local pharmacies without prescription. Last time the pharmacy made the mistake and ordered the same vials but as 10% only. Contained only about 48 mg per vial and was replaced again. You have to read labels very accurate not to get an insufficient dose. If you have to order it through an international pharmacy, you could use google translate.
How often do you get the iv ? Isn’t 500 mg a low dose

pamojja

Since 20 months I've got 12 IVs from my doc. So about every 1-2 month. 486,1 mg magnesium per IV is the usual dose. Infusing any substance directly in the bloodstream can rapidly alter serum levels, and if done too fast, could cause overdose. Take for example oxygen, by breathing it would almost be impossible to get an overdose. By injecting even a little bid one would die. An IV is different to an injection, by injecting 486,1 mg straight in ones veins one could die too! Without severe deficiency or malabsorption, even oral supplementation of 500 mg/d elemental magnesium would not be a small dose. It is actually 150 mg above the Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for Supplemental Magnesium.

From your questions I can see you don't have much general knowledge, and didn't inform yourself about the most basic things concerning supplementation. Please don't misunderstand any of my answers in any way as medical advise, which isn't allowed to anyone over the internet without a physician's personal consultation. I just share my personal experiences. And it is your duty if you decide for yourself to get magnesium-sulfate IVs, to do it only by working with a licensed physician you trust. Your life is at stake!

Yes, I had Magnesium Sulphate injections and they did raise my blood test levels. This was after a private blood tests showed low.

Did the injections, I assume IM 2 ml, cause pain? How many were needed to raise levels? What were the before and after blood levels?

Last edited:

ukxmrv

Did the injections, I assume IM 2 ml, cause pain? How many were needed to raise levels? What were the before and after blood levels?

Sorry it is too long ago to remember before and after doses and levels.

It was IM and monthly. Took around 4-6 months before I noticed the difference. Yes they are painful.

If I could afford to pay for them I would have continued,

Does anyone know if the injections are a surefire way to raise intracellalur levels ? I received a couple high dose iv and still don’t feel much relief .