• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium glycinate doctor best like toothpaste?

Hello, is anyone using Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate?

Does it taste like minty toothpaste?
I buy it from an online shop in my country so i cant be sure if its genuine.
:confused:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @kisekishiawase - I've used Doctor's Best Magnesium Glycinate and it came in capsule form, so it didn't taste like anything. I never tasted the magnesium directly, I just swallowed the capsule. This is what I bought: https://www.iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-B...with-Albion-Minerals-100-mg-240-Tablets/16567

I think it would be good to change the title of your thread so that it says: Doctor's Best Magnesium Glycinate - does it taste like toothpaste?

Right now your title is a little confusing. If you like, I can make the change for you. Just let me know --

YippeeKi YOW !!

@kisekishiawase
I've never heard of High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate, altho Dr's Best is a notably good brand.

If you want to be super sure of what you're actually taking, see if you can order Solgar Chelated Magnesium, 100 mg tablets. It's the magnesium that I use, and I can attest to it's solidity regarding anxiety/panic. At least, it worked wonders for me. Amazon has it, ditto iHerb.

Hopefully, someone else will know about the mysterious Mag Glycinate Lysinate and can tell you if should tast like toothpaste.

We're all different, but it would probably be best to start a protocol with smething you can totally trust.

Hope this helps, and that you're doing OK.

Thinktank

Magnesium (from magnesium lysinate glycinate chelate) 200 mg

The product has pretty good reviews on iherb and amazon.

@YippeeKi YOW !! Do you experience rebound anxiety if you skip a dose of your magnesium of choice?
I find magnesium malate to be excellent as an anxiety quencher but i always experience rebound anxiety after a few hours, making it not worthwile to take the magnesium.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Thinktank
Thank you for clearing up the mystery of mag lysinate glycinate. Can you respond also to @kisekishiawase 's question re the minty taste? I've never tried that form of mg, tho God knows, I tried every other, so I can't put her mind at ease as to the authenticity of the product she's received and she seems concerned. I know that feeling.

Do you experience rebound anxiety if you skip a dose of your magnesium of choice?
And yes, initially I had to micro dose steadily. I started out trying larger doses (100 mgs, then 200 mgs) of mg glycinate 2 times a day. When that did absolutely nothing, I tried 3 times a day. No response. I almost abandoned it completely, and then on a desperate hunch, I tried clipping down the 100 mg tablets in 50 mg, and took that mini dose every 45 to 60 min's. Initially it only soothed slightly, but enough to keep me trying. I added .25 mgs of melatonin when the wrenching chest and hammering heart and head/eye pressure were too much. It seemed to help, but it could have just been the need to do something, anything, that might make it stop.

Gradually, the nearly 2 yrs of all day every day panic attacks, some lasting as long as 18-20 hrs of non-stop horror and screaming pain, started receding a bit, and little by little, over the course of several months, there was an unmistakable, palpable difference.

Eventually, I reached a sort of base, kind of fractured little windows of calm that I hadn't felt in so long, even briefly, that I'd forgotten what it was like not be constantly hag-ridden. Sleep went from being a desperate hope to something slightly more dependable, tho it's still a work in progress.

I also added a first-thing-in-the-morning potion of Ceylon cinnamon (a study I stumbled across from India indicated its ability to calm excitotoxic responses), a scant 1/8th teaspoon of sea salt for the adrenals and to balance the potassium, and about 850> mgs of potassium gluconate, all whisked into warm water and about 4-5 dps of stevia for added palatability.

I tried mg malate, among several others, and it seemed to have a paradoxical effect much like what you describe, and I quickly gave it up. I didn't have the luxury, or maybe the courage, to pursue it further to see if it might even out after a while, I needed help NOW. I was close to suicidal, and baffled by what had brought on these bottomless, endless terrors on. I spent my life, in the brief flashes of lessened anxiety, trolling the internet, reading research papers, study after study, anything that even hinted at a cause or a cure, and I tried many of them with no perceptible help.

I hope some of this helps you. As you know, what works for one of us may not work for another, but if you're still willing to experiment, you might want to try the Solgar's chelated mag tablets (mg chelated to glycine), clippable down to 33 mgs if you have a steady hand, but I found that the 50 mg dose was the one that worked for me. I had to overcome my fear of overdosing on the mg, and for quite a while was taking upwards or 1200-1400 mgs a day with no apparent ill effect.

And gradually, I found that I could reduce the mg with no ill effects. I still take it every day in the 50 mg doses, but at much wider intervals. So wide that sometimes I wind up taking 100 mgs when I realize that its been quite a few hours since my last dose. No rebound anxiety, just my own fear that if I abandon that discipline entirely, I'll find myself back in that black, writhing pit.

It was during this initial gradual healing phase that I discovered Phoenix Rising, for which I've been deeply grateful, with a few little hiccups along the way.

From time to time, something will overwhelm me and I'll feel that first little warning flutter, and I briefly go back to 50 mgs every hour, but even those little mini attacks have dwindled down to a fine powdery mist. Touch wood.

Let me know if you have any questions or if any part of this is unclear, and I'll tag you if I think of anything else that I added in. It's all become so automatic and so much a part of every day that I'm not really conscious of it.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary yes thats what i bought. Its not capsule. The tablet was white and big.
Is it the same as yours?
When i put it in my mouth for a minute before i grab water and swallow it i can taste the tablet it taste kind of like minty, toothpaste.

Sorry to cause a misunderstanding. I thought i want to make the title shorter so i put it like that:eek::xpem:

The back is a little different. Mine says
From 2.000mg magnesium chelate
which seems a lot but then it says 200mg only 50% of daily value.
But i guess its just 200mg is it?

Its this one:
https://www.drbvitamins.com/product...00mg-elemental/drb-00025#sthash.UgQXNBDP.dpbs
753950000254-W-BSFB-Rev_6_-_7.5.18_214_345.png

@YippeeKi YOW !! @Thinktank i thought the
glycine help with anxiety glutathione, collagen? I dont know about malate. This is the only one i try except the old one (magnesium
oxide)

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @kisekishiawase - mine was a capsule, not a tablet. So I did not get a minty taste. But they do have the same product in tablet form (it looks almost identical): https://www.iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-B...with-Albion-Minerals-100-mg-240-Tablets/16567

The bottle says each tablet is 100 mg., and one serving is 2 tablets, for 200 mg.

Why don't you email Doctors Best and ask them if this is supposed to have a minty taste? Their website is here and you'll see their email address on this page: https://www.drbvitamins.com/about-us/contact-us

Don't worry about any misunderstanding with your title! :) If you would like me to change it to what i suggested above, just let me know --

pamojja

Mine says
From 2.000mg magnesium chelate
which seems a lot but then it says 200mg only 50% of daily value.
But i guess its just 200mg is it?

According to these supplement facts, elemental Magnesium weight is 200 mg (per 2 tablets), the total of the Magnesium+lysine+glycine compound weights 2000mg. That means 1800 mg (of each 2 tablets) isn't Magnesium, but lysine and glycine.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@kisekishiawase
i thought the
glycine help with anxiety glutathione, collagen? I dont know about malate. This is the only one i try except the old one (magnesium
oxide)
Yes, the glycine will help with anxiety, and is part of several aminos that promote collagen. If you have glutamate issues, tho, the glycine might be excitotatory. It was with me, tho not when it was bound to magnesium, as in magnesium glycinate..

Magnesium oxide has very low bioavailability, about <4%. I find it most useful for constipation, but not for anxiety.

Take care :hug:

pamojja

Magnesium oxide has very low bioavailability, about <4%. I find it most useful for constipation, but not for anxiety.

I'm getting tired typing it out again and again for so many years :sleep:, therefore just copied it from an other forum:

When I read this post by niner in 2013 I already had tried all different types of oral Mg supplements due to very severe painful-muscle cramps (Magtein too) for years. Since I didn't found much improvement with any of the distinct forms, due to niner's post I also started to use cheap Mg-oxide. And indeed, just the elemental total Magnesium amount supplemented a day would result in a somewhat alleviation of the symptom.

By which I don't want to discourage you to experiment yourself with all the different form, in the end we are all different with different preconditions and bio-chemical individuality. Some really might work better in your case. And different forms are indeed differently tolerated by each of us. For example the 2.5 g/d of elemental Magnesium I tolerate might cause diarrhea already at only a tiny fraction in any other.

Just in my case I could have saved myself a lot of money by using the cheap types right away. In the end only Mg-sulfate infusions I've got since November last year, ceased my muscle-cramps completely

But I don't have anxiety.

According to these supplement facts, elemental Magnesium weight is 200 mg (per 2 tablets), the total of the Magnesium+lysine+glycine compound weights 2000mg. That means 1800 mg (of each 2 tablets) isn't Magnesium, but lysine and glycine.
But doesnt that mean the lysine and glycine content are couple of times greater than the magnesium itself?:eek:

pamojja

But doesnt that mean the lysine and glycine content are couple of times greater than the magnesium itself?:eek:

9 times greater to be exact. There are other benefits in Glycine and Lysine too. But personally get them cheaper as bulk powders.

I dont get it. Does it mean no matter what the form the absorption rate is just a little? Except for the infusion

It is my experience by experimenting with all kinds of expensive allegedly higher absorbable forms, and then trialing also magnesium-oxide, that they are all equally good absorbed. Doesn't mean it's little, except being too little for the severity of my Mg-deficiency. The yard stick was how much my very painful muscle-cramps would get alleviated. It is also the result of measuring plasma, red blood cell and bone magnesium in the study in niner's post linked to above. Other than the to nausea quoted 4% absorption calculated from short term urine measurements only. And which then caused me to try for myself.