• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maeve Boothby-O'Neill aged 27 years died of severe ME October 3rd 2021 Exeter UK

Countrygirl

Maeve lived in Exeter, Devon UK and was the daughter of Sarah Boothby and The Times journalist Sean O'Neill. Sean has written many articles on ME as he witnessed his daughter's struggles with increasing illness.

Maeve needed a feeding tube from last March and was taken into The Wonford Hospital. As usual they were unkind to a patient with ME and did not accept the reality of her illness. When she left, she vowed never to return.

Her condition deteriorated, and she needed a PEG. A leading UK expert in ME contacted the hospital and even travelled there to visit them in person to explain the illness. They were not interested, dismissive of the illness, and failed to respond to urgent messages to the hospital which explained what was needed to be done to save her life.

A psychiatrist who worked there a few years ago and who set the tone, was one of the BPS PACE cabal.

Maeve died aged 27 years on October 3rd 2021These are from Sean's tweets:
Pinned Tweet

Sean O'Neill
@TimesONeill

·
1h

My eldest daughter Maeve died aged 27 on October 3. For half her life she had Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). Bit by bit this awful illness stole the youth, promise, independence and eventually the life of an intelligent, creative, wonderful young woman.

Medicine’s understanding of ME is astonishingly poor; patients like Maeve are stigmatised and discriminated against. Millions around the world have ME; 25% are severely affected. There is so much more to say but it must wait until the grief is less overwhelming

Sean O'Neill
@TimesONeill

We buried Maeve 3 weeks ago today, on October 29, the same day new
@NICEComms
published new guidelines for
@NHSEngland
treatment of ME. The guidelines show people with ME are being heard but more is needed: open minds, compassion and above all RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH
10:06 AM · Nov 19, 2021·Twitter Web App
Thread

See new Tweets
Conversation

10:06 AM · Nov 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

Sean O'Neill
@TimesONeill

·
1h

Replying to
@TimesONeill
Medicine’s understanding of ME is astonishingly poor; patients like Maeve are stigmatised and discriminated against. Millions around the world have ME; 25% are severely affected. There is so much more to say but it must wait until the grief is less overwhelming.

Last edited:

Kes

Thank you Countrygirl for sharing this awful news. Really sorry to hear what Maeve went through and for her family and friend's painful loss in such horrific circumstances. It beggars belief that this is still happening. Words fail, it's just despicable.

Emmarose47

I've just listened to Sean on women's hour rip maeve .. along with Dr Sheppard speaking ..
V good broadcast Inc the news of our health secretary opening doors for research and care v positive . The 1st senior to bring this for the m.e CFS community ..