• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymph nodes

nerd

If its viral or bacterial how would I know ? I've had the usual array of bloods done from a medic to rule out here and then got CFS diagnosis but here in UK they don't do further work ...
I suffer sinusitis a lot but consultant said can't do anything unless I'm in full infection symptoms which I don't get anymore

There are cytokines that are sensitive to viral infections, especially the different types of Interferons, MxA, other cytokines, and common viral proteins.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I suffer sinusitis a lot but consultant said can't do anything unless I'm in full infection symptoms which I don't get anymore
I believe that sinusitis or any allergic reaction will trigger a lymphatic reaction.

It could be caused by a MAST cell response. The mast cells are part of your immune system that reacts to perceived threats, or antigens (allergens), and keep them from disrupting your system, thereby contributing to homeostasis in your immune system (homeostasis is balanced action). Sometimes MAST cells over-react, which can create all kinds of problems. They're the first line of defense because of their location: on your skin and in your mucosa, like your mouth and nose, among others.

MAST cells are particularly important to maintaining homeostasis in the commensal bacteria of your gut. Commensal gut bacteria is the bacteria you were born with, and fully develop shortly after birth. It's development marks that wonderful transition from harmless little triangles to toxic fumes bombs, and all parents are real aware of when their baby's commensal bacteria fires up.

This is a really confusing topic, and I'm trying to keep it simple and accessible, not sure how well I'm doing .... if it seems confusing to you that's because it is. Just keep poking around in these threads and reading stuff. You'd be surprized how much of it will gradually ingrain and give you a better platform for future fishing ....

Rufous McKinney

Add in the vagus nerve, the super-highway between the main and the enteric nervous systems, located in our gut. Along with about 75-80% of our immune system.

also Cerebral Spinal Fluid is- moving thru and into the lymphatic system up this area.

Post-nasal drip?

I don't think so (?).... as my nose is the Sahara desert. I think is neurological. I also start getting a dull back of the neck ache- I don't lie back in that position often.

Rufous McKinney

find ways to get your body moving, which helps pump both blood and lymph around.

My swollen nodes went way down when I was able to walk more while visiting my daughter, but then I got more intensified yucky symptoms...its like I traded better lymph for: tachycardia, fainting, horrific sore throat.

Tammy

Anything I can do to find out which viral infection Tammy ?
You could ask your Dr. to order some tests for various viruses especially in the herpes family. One of the main ones I think is important is to test for EBV. Only problem with that is too many times test results only come up validating "past" infection. This is where I believe the medical community has fallen through the cracks. The EBV is not always active in the bloodstream except when you first are infected or it reactivates. A test that shows only "past" infection does not prove that the virus is not causing symptoms. The virus resides in different places all through the body.....ie)organs............especially the liver where it is still active an causing problems.

YippeeKi YOW !!

The virus resides in different places all through the body.....ie)organs............especially the liver where it is still active an causing problems.
It's one of those creepy catastrophes that never, never, ever leaves us, no matter the tests showing it to be inactive.

You're right. It takes up residence somewhere picturesque and out-of-the-way and just hangs out, waiting, waiting, plotting ....

It's like the Terminator .... it knows neither pity nor remorse, it doesnt need to rest or sleep or eat, and it absolutely, definitely, will find its way back, by hook, crook, or flaring ME ....

Emmarose47

You could ask your Dr. to order some tests for various viruses especially in the herpes family. One of the main ones I think is important is to test for EBV. Only problem with that is too many times test results only come up validating "past" infection. This is where I believe the medical community has fallen through the cracks. The EBV is not always active in the bloodstream except when you first are infected or it reactivates. A test that shows only "past" infection does not prove that the virus is not causing symptoms. The virus resides in different places all through the body.....ie)organs............especially the liver where it is still active an causing problems.
That's so interesting ...my bloods show EB I'm.the past ....

Rufous McKinney

it could still be post nasal fluid

possible. Since its all 'possible'. I choke on vitamins sitting up, if that matters. I have neck alignment issues...so that affects the swallowing (also). There is an old New Yorker article, from the WayBack: Gerontology. The first page describes- why we choke. The article suggested- we will really be needing gerontologists.

reminds me of my visit to a doctor in 1995. I'm sure "I must have mononucelosus, again". Chronic that, was my lifetime diagnosis. If I knew chronic fatigue existed back then, well that wasn't what I was sick with. Cause I'm REAL sick (sometimes, then). I remember that Newsweek- Yuppie Flu. I did not consider myself a Yuppie.

So this doctor told me in 1995-Your Stressed. Take a yoga class (points to take a yoga class handout, on wall).

Tells me I have post nasal drip. Hands me some nose inhaler. Sprays that up my nose. My nose hurts thereafter.

I went home, and threw it away.

It was probably ten years, before I went to yet another one of these Doctors, and said-I must have mono again.

and nothing happened, nothing ever did.

So I seriously- go to the chinese medicine.

Booble

possible. Since its all 'possible'. I choke on vitamins sitting up, if that matters. I have neck alignment issues...so that affects the swallowing (also). There is an old New Yorker article, from the WayBack: Gerontology. The first page describes- why we choke. The article suggested- we will really be needing gerontologists.

reminds me of my visit to a doctor in 1995. I'm sure "I must have mononucelosus, again". Chronic that, was my lifetime diagnosis. If I knew chronic fatigue existed back then, well that wasn't what I was sick with. Cause I'm REAL sick (sometimes, then). I remember that Newsweek- Yuppie Flu. I did not consider myself a Yuppie.

So this doctor told me in 1995-Your Stressed. Take a yoga class (points to take a yoga class handout, on wall).

Tells me I have post nasal drip. Hands me some nose inhaler. Sprays that up my nose. My nose hurts thereafter.

I went home, and threw it away.

It was probably ten years, before I went to yet another one of these Doctors, and said-I must have mono again.

and nothing happened, nothing ever did.

So I seriously- go to the chinese medicine.

I think you might have the same nasal thing as me. For most people, using those nasal squirt bottles clear them out but for some people (us?!) if your sinus passages are generally swollen, those bottles actually make things worse.

Also consider reflux as a possibility combined with post nasal drip.