• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Luteolin

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
An altogether outstanding action:

Functional activation of monoamine transporters by luteolin and apigenin isolated from the fruit of [P f L B]
Zhao et al 2010

abstract, my paragraphing
Monoamine transporters playing major roles in regulating normal and abnormal synaptic activity are associated with various neuropsychological disorders. In spite of the discovery of a series of structurally different monoamine transporter antagonists for the therapy approach, no practical pharmaceutical can act as a transporter activator.

Here, we isolated luteolin and apigenin from the fruit of Perilla frutescens (L.) Britt by using an activity-guided extraction technique, and proved that the two compounds possess actions of enhancing monoamine uptake either upon monoamine-transporter transgenic Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells or upon wild dopaminergic cell lines, with higher specificity for dopamine (DA) uptake than for norepinephrine (NE)- and serotonin (5HT)-uptake, as well as with more potency and greater efficacy for luteolin than for apigenin.

Further, in the transgenic cells, the principal NE/DA uptake activation by luteolin was significantly prevented by respective transporter inhibitor, and the transmitter-uptake-enhancing action was independent of its ligands, which is in support of the compounds as monoamine transporter activators. Furthermore, luteolin evoked a marked disinhibition of cocaine-targeted effect in CHO cells overexpressing dopamine transporter.

Thus, luteolin and apigenin function as monoamine transporter activators, which would improve several hypermonoaminergic neuropsychological disorders, especially cocaine dependence, through up-regulating monoamine transporter activity.

google.com/search for luteolin dopamine

Wishful

Luteolin did nothing for my ME. :( Apigenin seemed to cause a slight reduction in my brainfog, but that effect disappeared after a few months. :grumpy: Since apigenin did have at least a slight effect, maybe it will work better for someone else. Maybe luteolin will work for someone else too.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Luteolin did nothing for my ME. :( Apigenin seemed to cause a slight reduction in my brainfog, but that effect disappeared after a few months. :grumpy: Since apigenin did have at least a slight effect, maybe it will work better for someone else. Maybe luteolin will work for someone else too.
I would not think that it is of great effect as it is often mentioned here on the forum.

The trick might be to take it together with tyrosine.

With tyrosine I had rather the best effects ever in the first years of my improvement, but since some time it had a bad effect.

But now its good again, when taken with a bit of luteolin or manganese, maybe other stuff would work too, maybe to lesser extent.

The more I think about and work on it, the more I come to the conclusion that it is an unfavourable architecture of the dopamine system, and/or an unfavourable very dynamic structure in the nucleus intralaminares.

Wishful

How long did you take it for?

I bought one small bottle each of luteolin, apigenin and fisetin. I finished each, and bought another couple bottles of the apigenin, because it seemed to give a slight but noticeable benefit. Just dug out the old bottle: 30 caps of luteolin+rutin, 100 mg.

Everything that worked for me showed an effect within a day or so, so until there's a proven theory for something helping ME but requiring x months to start working, I test supplements one minimal purchase at a time.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
No, it can even be very tiny amounts in a beverage.

In, say, oats (in water) which contain Mn in a middle range I take more, maybe 300mg (that needs to be looked at further). I also do in the oats protein powder with the normal amount of tyrosine bound in the proteins.

I think, in general, the main thing is the difference, not the absolute amount.

I want to induce a change (pathway driven) which would not be induced by every days ratios.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Mn which obviously has been the major problem in my MECFS affects an enzymatic activity which converts dopamine from tyrosine.
manganese-nitric-oxide-in-the-nervous-system.78690/#post-2327242

So the hope is to induce any normal dopamine action or storage.

It seems to work and it seems to be at the core. Next step is to cancel caffeine, which of course should impact a healthy structure to unimportant small degree, but here may hinder, and which had been in the past only sometimes been of more or less effect.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Isn't luteolin one of the "mast cell stabilizers" sometimes prescribed for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)?

Sorry. I'm not sure on this but wanted to mention that a lot of reviews on amazon mention that it helped the person with histamine issues in case that would be helpful to anyone else.

Isn't luteolin one of the "mast cell stabilizers" sometimes prescribed for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)?

(In vitro Mast Cell inhibition in %, Ref)
Tetramethoxyluteolin (90-100%) > Luteolin (75%) > Quercetin (55%) > Cromolyn (15%).

Read this first before buying a supplement containing Luteolin: Luteolin supplements: All that glitters is not gold
Note: Any product of 60 capsules claiming 100 mg luteolin/capsule and priced <$35 is unlikely to contain high purity luteolin, which is very expensive.
Ref:
All drugs should be tested for tolerance in a low single dose before therapeutic use, if their tolerance in the patient is not known from an earlier application.

The tolerability and efficacy of most therapies tried in MCAD (starting, and escalating in dosage and composition, cautiously) become clinically evident within 1-2 months.

Successful regimens appear highly personalized.

Improved Oral Absorption of Quercetin from Quercetin Phytosome®, a New Delivery System Based on Food Grade Lecithin

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Read this first before buying a supplement containing Luteolin
Luteolin also occurs in some foods, e.g rosemary (it´s a flavanaoid).

So I made me a tea, and it turned out that only small amounts have an effect. - 0,05L with a quarter of the surface covered with rosemary, and then only 1/2-2 teaspoons in food, eg yoghurt or instant potatoes with a lot of olive oil.

Surprisingly, after two times without tyrosine I got a bad effect of the same manner which I got from a single dose of a neuroleptic (antipsychotic). Even now, only with tyrosine, I must be careful! The effect on its good side though is calming and focosing.

This is also a warning - taking this dopamine action dimishing stuff of an antipsychotic was rather the biggst mistake in my life, I should have taken much less and/or together with TYR.

hapl808

(In vitro Mast Cell inhibition in %, Ref)
Tetramethoxyluteolin (90-100%) > Luteolin (75%) > Quercetin (55%) > Cromolyn (15%).

Read this first before buying a supplement containing Luteolin: Luteolin supplements: All that glitters is not gold

Ref:

Improved Oral Absorption of Quercetin from Quercetin Phytosome®, a New Delivery System Based on Food Grade Lecithin

I'm surprised - this is saying that Quercetin is more effective in vitro by almost 4x than Cromolyn? I've taken Quercetin in the past and found it very modestly helpful for mast cell issues, but have been interested to try Cromolyn.

I'm surprised - this is saying that Quercetin is more effective in vitro by almost 4x than Cromolyn? I've taken Quercetin in the past and found it very modestly helpful for mast cell issues, but have been interested to try Cromolyn.
Yes with the caveat that when they say it blocks mast cells it depends on what receptor you trigger mast cell mediator release and what mediators are involved. I'm not sure on what MC agonist and mediators these numbers are based on.