• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lugol Iodine / High Dose Iodine Testing

Has anyone ever tried taking high dose iodine for chronic fatigue/brain fog. Some people have had great success and one person I've chatted with said a high dose iodine protocol completed cured his brain fog. I've been taking lugols iodine 2% for the past couple of days and I'm having extreme fatigue to the point where my legs are weak and it is difficult to walk. I am wondering if this is a detoxification symptom (bromine, flouride, chlorine) or did I deplete a cofactor like selenium with these high doses of iodine (50-100mg)? I have been taking the cofactors such as : vitamin c , selenium, magnesium and 1 teaspoon sodium chloride to flush out the bromine but i still am fatigued severely? I need some help, don't know what is going on!

prioris

Nascent iodine is far superior form than lugols.
Nascent iodine totally absorbed by thyroid within 10 minutes.
Before using iodine, use 800+ mcg selenium for a week or so to build up.

Carl

I stopped using lugols iodine a long time ago. There are a lot of topics on curezone where people have reacted badly to iodine supplementation, far too many for my liking.

If it adversely affecting you then why are you still taking it? I do not believe the detox/herxheimer reaction theories and I totally discount it as being rubbish.

CFS do have very high nutrient requirements due to the extremely high detox demands that Increased Digestive Permeability imposes on the Liver.

Why not stop taking it and see if you improve?

So being the Lugol (50-100mg) is causing extreme fatigue ,should I discontinue the supplement ? I mean it also raised my temperature slightly and my hands are actually feeling warm for once. Also I’m getting slightly better concentration. So this leads me to believe I was deficient. It’s just the fatigue side effect I can’t tolerate. It’s as if it’s weakening all my muscles and sedating me. What do u guys recommend ?

prioris

there is an online home test that iodine doctors use to test for levels you can take
i'd research online for clues to why there is fatigue
i have no recommendation for what to do

Carl

The co-factors which you need to be take with iodine could be insufficient. Have you tried upping the dose of those? CFS nutrient requirements are already very high due to the high detox requirement and adding iodine could push that even higher. Just a thought.

I used to get cold hands and feet. When I take Tu Si Zi (Dodder see) it does not happen, neither does brain fog. It is known to affect the pituitary and hypothalamus which are both affected (partly destroyed) in CFS. If I fail to take some Tu Si Zi for around 12-16 hours then it starts to wear off and my hands/feet become cold again. That is a fairly reliable indication that it is working.

That is an extremely high dose BTW. When I took it I used a lot less than that. The iodine requirement is only meant to be about 150 micrograms so you are taking over x300 the recommended amount.

gumman123

Better off eating sea weed which contains high levels of iodine + all the other good things in it. I eat dried wakame from ebay.

prioris

Better off eating sea weed which contains high levels of iodine + all the other good things in it. I eat dried wakame from ebay.

for minor problems maybe. For major, nascent iodine is superior to every form since there is no if ands or buts with absorption and dosage. the wakame could have heavy metal and other contaminants.

gumman123

Sea weed is loaded with iodine, and it may be organic- bonded to something with carbon in it like a protein so is better absorbed, and utilized by the body. Lugols is inorganic so not as well absorbed, or utilized.

There is a lot of lack of understanding, and misinformation about heavy metals

Wikipedia says a heavy metal is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metals

The definitions surveyed in this article encompass up to 96 out of the 118 known chemical elements; only mercury, lead and bismuth meet all of them.

All 3 of those occur naturally in the soil, plants take them up, and incorporate all of them into their structure so they are in fruits/veges/nuts/seeds etc. keep that in mind next time you eat a plant- you are eating mercury. If sea weed does have higher amounts it is natural due to more of them being in the ocean it is not from industrial contamination. Even before industry those 3 elements existed in food. Mercury has been shown to be an essential mineral in some animals, same with arsenic, so they would be in us also. The entire periodic table is essential elements to us basically, and because the ocean contains every single element, and sea weed takes them up, sea weed is a great source of 70 minerals.

prioris

6 drops nascent iodine = 2700 mcg ... 100% absorption ... absorption time 10 minutes

wakame would be a pain in the rear to supplement with plus the cost of buying it

wakame ... 42 mcg for each gram ... 65 grams of wakame assuming complete absorption ...
how much to buy a 2 oz oackage

wakame could work for low dosage
for higher dosages, wakame just isn't going to cut it for therapy

wakame has the same practical problems as food in general ... you'd have to eat a ton of it to get what
you could get from a specialized supplement

gumman123

Dried kombu has up to 680mg- 680,000 mcg per 100g. That is 251 drops of the iodine you are talking about. Maybe a whole bottle. For higher dosages, iodine drops just isn't going to cut it for therapy

https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/surveillance/documents/Iodine in Seaweed.pdf

There is no such thing as nascent iodine it has a counter ion in it with it. Not that pure elemental iodine would be any better absorbed than iodine potassium anyway.

iodine in sea weed is organic so saves the body having to add it to a protein+ there is another 70 minerals+ vitamins etc in it.

Wakame is a food not a supplement. It tastes nice. they eat it regularly in Japan. Nori is good too.
1/2 kg dried wakame is around 30 AUD on ebay. They are the only 2 forms I have had. Some beaches have sea weed wash up on them so can bring it home, put it in oven, then eat it.

Nature put high enough dose of nutrients in food even to treat genetic diseases of the nutrient so genetic diseases of iodine, or fucose (1 of the 8 essential sugars) like LAD deficiency is treatable with sea weed each day.

Lugols has the same practical problems as all isolated supplements in general ... it is just one or a few atoms/molecules where as food has trillions times trillions etc different molecules in it all synergistic not additive. So lugols is not as good as what you could get from a specialized food like sea weed.

gumman123

Ok so nascent iodine claims to be mono atomic iodine instead of di atomic iodine like in lugols. Monoatomic iodine is in sea weed bound to the proteins it is a co factor for. Lugols would break down in the guts anyway into mono atomic iodine. And if someoneis a butcher or works at a abbatoir or is friends with someone who does maybe they can get animal thyroid, and eat that each day. Or some webites sell dried thyroid powder capsules.

prioris

there are more side effects with whole food. for instance, i get nausea when i drink aloe vera juice. if i take the active ingredient aloe mucilaginous polysaccharride (AMP) only, i have no side effects. Plus one bottle of AMP is equivalent to 69 gallons of aloe vera juice. Supplements are far more practical overall. Some people do fine with just foods though.

gumman123

People have been eating see weed for 1000s of years. it is a big part of japanese culture. there are more side effects with isolated supplements which is why they are regulated by the fda. for instance, i get nausea when i drink creatine monohydrate. if i take prawns, which have high levels of creatine phosphate, i have no side effects.

Better off buying an aloe plant from a nursery and eating it each day because things start breaking down when the leaf is broken off the plant.

Foods are far more practical overall.

pogoman

Lugols iodine has some kind of sulfur in it, from the way its made.
With lugols I will get itching and hives within half an hour every time I try it, with regular iodine no problem.
I'm allergic to sulfur compounds, I did some research on Lugols and found about the sulfur connection.

Belbyr

Be careful with Iodine. I took it for a year as a supplement (recommended by a lyme doctor) it later caused a huge thyroid storm that lasted 3-4 months. Resting heart rate was 140, couldn't sleep, and lost a lot of weight. It takes a long time for your thyroid to clear iodine.

The endocrinologist said no one should treat with iodine.

Hip

Nascent iodine is far superior form than lugols.

The main disadvantage with nascent iodine is that it does not actually exist. See here. The only elements that can stably exist as independent atoms are the noble gases.

Last edited:

prioris

The main disadvantage with nascent iodine is that it does not actually exist. See here. The only elements that can exist as independent atoms are the noble gases.

I read all that way before.

Wikipedia has a long history of suppressing the truth and maintaining the grand scientific and historical lies. The trend in iodine supplementation by practitioners is away from lugols and toward nascent. That should tell you something. Ultimately one has to experiment to decide. You have to dig deeper to decide what the truth is. You have to understand what boundaries Wikipedia won't cross when using it for research. It's useful but shouldn't be blindly accepted. It is run by the CIA. Kind of like Wikileaks is also.

Hip

The trend in iodine supplementation by practitioners is away from lugols and toward nascent. That should tell you something.

It tells me that perhaps a lot of people don't know much about chemistry, and are persuaded by marketing scams. There is no scientific evidence that nascent iodine contains single atoms of iodine, as it is claimed it does. Single atoms of iodine are very reactive, so they are unstable and quickly form compounds.

Last edited: