• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Pregnenolone and High Cortisol

Peyt

Hi,
My test results showed low in Pregnenolone and DHEA. My doctor suggested a Pregnenolone cream.
My concern is that I hear Pregnenolone increases cortisol and I already have high cortisol....
Is there any supplements to take with Pregnenolone which can redirect the pathway so the Pregnenolone does not turn into Cortisol ?
Thanks

Peyt

I just listened to this podcast regarding this subject, and thought i share:

It does mention Vitamin A and Niacin as vitamins that effects the hormonal pathways. My Vitamin A in regular blood test was normal, but I do have higher than normal cholesterol. I don't like taking Niacin as a supplement due to possible intestinal bleeding. But I am taking Riboflavin now which is suppose to increase Niacin by converting Tryptophan to Niacin.

Loomcgoo

@Peyt Did you try it, how did you get on? I see you can get it in drops too.

Does anyone know what blood test to ask the GP for and how to decide to supplement with pregnenolone?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi,
My test results showed low in Pregnenolone and DHEA. My doctor suggested a Pregnenolone cream.
My concern is that I hear Pregnenolone increases cortisol and I already have high cortisol....
Is there any supplements to take with Pregnenolone which can redirect the pathway so the Pregnenolone does not turn into Cortisol ?
Thanks
Doesnt always increase cortisol although it did in me, but i was also low. Your body can shuttle pregnenolone down another pathway but can also have direct effects on energy , wellbeing, concentration etc. A trial can always be useful but start low eg 5mg in the morning and slowly increase the dose. Every 8 weeks keep checking adrenal and sex hormones

Look into pregnenolone steal. Good stuff on utube👍

Loomcgoo

@heapsreal thanks for explaining that there are different pathways.

Sorry to ask more questions, just wondering if you know what tests I ask for (whether it's GP or a private clinic)?

Are there charts somewhere, where I can get information on how to read the results?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@heapsreal thanks for explaining that there are different pathways.

Sorry to ask more questions, just wondering if you know what tests I ask for (whether it's GP or a private clinic)?

Are there charts somewhere, where I can get information on how to read the results?

Test your main hormones so morning cortisol, dhea, testosterone and free testosterone, estrogen/e2, progesterone, prolactin, pregnenolone but not a common test but have read that some docs look for a rise in progesterone but preg can increase any hormone. These are mostly adrenal and sex hormones.

As far as reading results, most hormones would be at a good level in the upper third of the range. For guys high prolactin can cause fatigue issues etc so good to have low end of the range. Estrogen is important for guys as its very protective of blood vessels/heart disease and insulin sensitivity, so keeping it in the midrange would be good, not too low. Cortisol is good to have high normal range but it should taper down by the end of the day or it can be an issue with sleep. But start with morning blood test, later on can do a cortisol saliva test 4 x times a day if needed.

But pregnenolone has effects on its own like better energy and has neurotransmitter effects. But some cfsers do have bad effects with preg but its trial and error. Start low and go slow. Normal dose os around 50mg to 100mg, good to get 5mg tabs at first and slowly taper up. When you get to a dose you feel ok on, then look at doing the hormone tests. If looking at optimising all hormones, consider doing 1 hormone at a time.

For hormone info google antiaging hormones and hormone optimising.