• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low potassium symptoms?

dannybex

Potassium deficiency is mentioned frequently in relation to methylation start up, B12, folate, etc., etc..

I'm curious to know what you consider to be a clear symptom or symptoms of potassium deficiency, and not the need for another electrolyte or more B12 or folate?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @dannybex - this is how I figured out my potassium tanked when I started taking methylfolate. I had read about the possibility of this happening so I was on the lookout for it. I felt a nice energy boost the day after starting methylfolate, I was very surprised it happened so quickly. And then a day or 2 at the most after that, I was hit with severe fatigue. I had read that fatigue is one of the main symptoms of low potassium, so I started taking a potassium supplement, 200 mg at a time, 2 or 3 times during the day, and worked up to 1000 mg total in one day (in divided doses) and that's when that awful fatigue went away. It was pretty obvious to me that low potassium was the culprit.

Also, I'd had that same awful fatigue in the past, off and on, without a clue what was causing it, but it hasn't recurred since I started supplementing with potassium. I'm still taking 800 - 1000 mg a day (divided doses, including 200 mg middle of the night). It's a different fatigue than PM.

Other symptoms I would get, especially middle of the night, include muscle spasms or twitches in my feet and lower legs - it's a sure sign my potassium is low. Other people can get arrhythmia and cardiac issues but I haven't noticed that for me. Here's a list of symptoms: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/potassium-deficiency-symptoms#section1
One way to find out if low potassium is an issue for you is to drink several glasses of low-sodium V8 or vegetable juice. The low-sodium kind is high in potassium. If low potassium is an issue for you, it's very likely you will start to feel better within a few hours of drinking this. I don't think a banana or two would be enough to make much of a difference.

Also people with ME/CFS can have low intracellular potassium despite normal blood work. See this post. On lab work my potassium was always in the normal range, albeit on the low side but that didn't tell the full story.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I use to take supps only as single ones, so only B2 asf.

But recently I had very good effects from this combo: K, Mg, B6, B12.

I took it because of the potassium (K), and I think that K and Mg work fine together.

After I had eaten bread and meat it didn´t work anymore.

It´s on top of a diet, but I imagine that K can easily be a major player in ME/CFS.

Problem might be that cells are reluctant to take it up if not other circumstances occur.

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Freddd mentioned in a old post that potassium powder can be used in a taste test for some people. If it tastes strong and disagreeable then you probably don't need it; no flavor or even a sweet flavor might indicate a need for it. It works this way for me.

When I was doing Freddd's methylation treatment, nausea was a sure sign that I needed potassium. The problem with that is that nausea is also sign of taking too much. The way to tell the difference was that if I needed potassium then the nausea would go away within 20 minutes of taking a potassium supplement; but if I had already taken too much then the nausea would increase. Cramping muscles were another sign. For some people it's cramping feet, with others it's a tight neck.

My milder low potassium symptoms now include extra mental fatigue and difficulty thinking (caused by either low potassium, low magnesium, or both); a neutral potassium taste, using potassium gluconate; and waking up in the night 5-6 hours after the last meal (so I take some potassium in the middle of the night and often can go right back to sleep). More severe low potassium symptoms for me are weaker thigh muscles, foot cramps, and strange anxiety that induces a fear of darkness.

dannybex

What's interesting, and extremely frustrating -- is that many of these symptoms, if not most of them -- can also be signs of B12 deficiency.

I've been experimenting over the last couple of days -- and while potassium bicarbonate initially helps w/the feeling of heavy, tight muscles in my legs, it seems like the more I take, then I'll develop twitching and fasciculations overnight, waking up with fluttering -- and cramping -- muscles throughout my legs.

@Mary it seems to me there's been a discussion about this phenomenon here on PR over the years. That taking potassium then leads to needing more B12, folate, etc.? Is that correct?

Mary

Moderator Resource
it seems like the more I take, then I'll develop twitching and fasciculations overnight, waking up with fluttering -- and cramping -- muscles throughout my legs.
You say it seems like the more you take, you get more twitching. I'd want to pin that down. You still may need more potassium. There may not be a cause and effect relation here. In other words, the potassium you're taking may initially help with symptoms, but if you're not taking enough, then you'll need more. I really think low-sodium V8 could be helpful here in trying to see if you need more potassium.

Also, middle of the night is when I tend most to get muscle cramps from low potassium. I take 200 mg potassium gluconate every night, middle of the night, as well as with each meal and some before bed too.

it seems to me there's been a discussion about this phenomenon here on PR over the years. That taking potassium then leads to needing more B12, folate, etc.? Is that correct?
I've never heard this. I have read there's some sort of symbiosis between B12 and folate, taking more of one affects the other, etc., but not with potassium. There is a relationship between potassium and magnesium but I can't advise you there.

how much potassium are you taking? and how often? Needs vary greatly. I'm doing okay with close to 1000 mg a day but I've read of people here needing 3 times that much.

lenora

Wow! This is all very confusing concerning potassium. How about a couple of bananas/day? I have a problem going on with electrolyte imbalance...in my case sodium tends to run low. I've added more salt to my diet and I'll be having blood tests on Monday. It's just that with electrolytes if one is out of balance it makes everything else very tenuous. Also, you can end up with something that I've been diagnosed with Autoimmune Encephalitis, which gives you seizures that you aren't even aware of. Mine really began when my l. eye was weak and things looked blurry. Naturally I assumed it was an eye condition. Then my l. leg just gave out one day...one day I'm walking all around the house; the next I can't move out of my chair. My husband then noticed that I wasn't responding to questions he was asking me. I ended up unconscious for 2 days and feel that my thinking's still not right. Something occurred...I asked the Dr. about a stroke, but there are no easy answers for this Autoimmune Encephalitis.

The not very difficult to read book, 'Brain on Fire' describes what occurs to the young reporter who was the first known case. Her situation was very different than mine...whereas the brain complication was in the realm of the psychiatric and mine ended up causing heart problems. It just depends where in the brain the complication is. There is also a kinda-sorta movie about it, but I would recommend the book instead. So now I have two major problems that involve electrolyte imbalance....a simple enough thing if we just eat a well-rounded diet. My problem was that while my BP runs extremely low in the a.m., in the late afternoon & evening, it runs very, very high. I was told to avoid salt, and I took it to the extreme. I was still getting it in the food my husband cooked, but we tend to make a lot of salads in the summer (and May is really summer here).

I know I keep repeating this saga, and many of you are probably sick of it, but I also want everyone to know the danger in playing around too much with our bodies. I've done it, have learned a great lesson and would hate to see any of you repeat it. Who knew? Thanks. Respectfully yours, Lenora.

dannybex

Well for example, last night, I took more potassium than I think I ever had. Several times before bed. And then woke up this morning with the worst muscle twitching in months and months, if not longer.

I use potassium bicarbonate as it's the cheapest by weight and helps counter metabolic acidosis. A quarter teaspoon is approximately 400 milligrams of potassium. I probably had 1,200 mgs potassium -- at least -- in the 4-5 hours before bedtime.

Unfortunately I can't tolerate tomatoes due to histamine intolerance, so no V-8 for me. I tend to do better with sodium as well, although I used lite-salt due to increase blood pressure over the last six years.

I've never heard this. I have read there's some sort of symbiosis between B12 and folate, taking more of one affects the other, etc., but not with potassium. There is a relationship between potassium and magnesium but I can't advise you there.

I can't find the posts right now, but there are many that involve both b12 and folate and either one -- or both -- affecting potassium needs. The irony in all of this for me, is back in 2003 I was prescribed methyl-b12 shots along with nebulized glutathione. Within 2 days a year of twitching, irritability and most of my anxiety calmed way down and started about a year or more of an 80% remission. And never once was the need for potassium even mentioned.

Perhaps I need to try sourcing glutathione again, or trying n-acetylcysteine. Rich Van Konynenburg repeatedly said that starting up methylation could temporarily deplete glutathione, especially with higher doses of B12s and folates. And I didn't have any issues with agitation, twitching, etc., cramping when I was prescribed it back in 2003. Unfortunately that doctor is halfway across the country now...

Thanks Mary. :)

dannybex

And one more thing: About three or four years ago I was headed to a doctor appointment and wanted to try and do whatever I could to make sure my blood pressure tested lower than it had been. I don't think I was on losartan yet.

So I took some potassium and magnesium -- and even brought magnesium caps to open up and sprinkle some under my tongue before the appointment. They didn't do a think for my BP, and in fact -- again -- surprisingly made my muscle twitching, cramping, a lot worse. I could hardly walk a few steps into the docs office...

lenora

Well for example, last night, I took more potassium than I think I ever had. Several times before bed. And then woke up this morning with the worst muscle twitching in months and months, if not longer.

I use potassium bicarbonate as it's the cheapest by weight and helps counter metabolic acidosis. A quarter teaspoon is approximately 400 milligrams of potassium. I probably had 1,200 mgs potassium -- at least -- in the 4-5 hours before bedtime.

Unfortunately I can't tolerate tomatoes due to histamine intolerance, so no V-8 for me. I tend to do better with sodium as well, although I used lite-salt due to increase blood pressure over the last six years.

I can't find the posts right now, but there are many that involve both b12 and folate and either one -- or both -- affecting potassium needs. The irony in all of this for me, is back in 2003 I was prescribed methyl-b12 shots along with nebulized glutathione. Within 2 days a year of twitching, irritability and most of my anxiety calmed way down and started about a year or more of an 80% remission. And never once was the need for potassium even mentioned.

Perhaps I need to try sourcing glutathione again, or trying n-acetylcysteine. Rich Van Konynenburg repeatedly said that starting up methylation could temporarily deplete glutathione, especially with higher doses of B12s and folates. And I didn't have any issues with agitation, twitching, etc., cramping when I was prescribed it back in 2003. Unfortunately that doctor is halfway across the country now...

Thanks Mary. :)

Danny, what about laying off your own put-togethers for awhile and just trying bananas (I'm not kidding). One banana/day should be good enough for your body. If you don't like them, orange juice or oranges also have some good potassium. It's natural to the body. By the way, I used to take away and add vitamins all the time....I'm not against it, it's just that if our bodies are reacting it's time to stop and find out why. Don't mess up your electrolytes, please. Yours, Lenora.

TinaT

You say it seems like the more you take, you get more twitching. I'd want to pin that down. You still may need more potassium. There may not be a cause and effect relation here. In other words, the potassium you're taking may initially help with symptoms, but if you're not taking enough, then you'll need more.
Hello. Have you ever heard of people having low blood pressure from low potassium? Paralyzed bowels?

How do you know when you've had enough, feeling wise? (Unfortunately I can't drink V8 bc of reflux.)

TinaT

I know I keep repeating this saga, and many of you are probably sick of it, but I also want everyone to know the danger in playing around too much with our bodies. I've done it, have learned a great lesson and would hate to see any of you repeat it
Hello. What did you do exactly, that you regret?

TinaT

Danny, what about laying off your own put-togethers for awhile and just trying bananas (I'm not kidding). One banana/day should be good enough for your body. If you don't like them, orange juice or oranges also have some good potassium. It's natural to the body. By the way, I used to take away and add vitamins all the time....I'm not against it, it's just that if our bodies are reacting it's time to stop and find out why. Don't mess up your electrolytes, please. Yours, Lenora.
Are you saying electrolytes can't be fixed, once they start going haywire? I'm so nervous about what seems like a clear potassium drop from B12 and folate. How to prevent that potassium problem from becoming permanent?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Have you ever heard of people having low blood pressure from low potassium? Paralyzed bowels?
I haven't heard of this. From what I read low potassium is most often correlated with high blood pressure as opposed to low. And this article states that paralyzed bowel can be due to electrolye imbalances, including low potassium: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21853-paralytic-ileus

How do you know when you've had enough, feeling wise? (Unfortunately I can't drink V8 bc of reflux.)
I'm lucky in that my body seems to be pretty straightforward (apart from ME/CFS of course). For me, symptoms of low potassium have included severe fatigue (especially within a day or 2 of starting methylfolate) and muscle twitching and spasms, particularly in my feet and lower calves. The muscle spasms used to hit me a LOT in the middle of the night so I had to start taking potassium middle of the night. When I had enough potassium, these symptoms would abate. But the fatigue from low potassium was quite different from PEM and other types of fatigue, and followed very quickly after starting the methylfolate. It was very obvious to me that it was due to low potassium, and after titrating up to 1000 mg a day, the fatigue went away.

I haven't been following this thread so you may have stated this above somewhere, but what are your symptoms which make you think of low potassium?
About your acid reflux - I've read several places that this is very often caused by low stomach acid, paradoxically enough, when the general treatment proffered by western medicine is a PPI, which solves nothing. I don't know your history on this but you might want to look into this.

I've received a lot of help from competent chiropractors who are skilled in muscle testing. They've helped me with several different issues that doctors just ignored or just didn't know what to do about. They helped sort out my digestion which at one time was really screwed up (technically speaking!), helped with my adrenals and other things. I truly hate to think how I would have ended up if left to western medicine alone. I eventually learned how to do muscle testing on myself and a little bit on others, but I don't recommend that anyone try doing it without having a fair amount of experience with an experienced practitioner. Someone like this might (or might not) help sort out what's going on with you.

TinaT

this is how I figured out my potassium tanked when I started taking methylfolate. I had read about the possibility of this happening so I was on the lookout for it. I felt a nice energy boost the day after starting methylfolate, I was very surprised it happened so quickly. And then a day or 2 at the most after that, I was hit with severe fatigue
This is exactly what happened to me, except now that I'm taking methylfolate every day, I get the fatigue several hours after taking it.

I'm just curious: do you remember whether you took high or more normal doses of methylfolate? Like 400-600 mcg or 4-15 (or more) mgs?

Mary

Moderator Resource
I'm just curious: do you remember whether you took high or more normal doses of methylfolate? Like 400-600 mcg or 4-15 (or more) mgs?
As I recall, I think I started out with about 800 mcg (one tablet) and worked up to 2 tablets, 1600 mcg. Eventually I went to 4 tablets but have recently backed down to 2 (1600 mcg.) a day. It's been quite awhile since I've had symptoms of low potassium, which is unusual for me. I had them for many years after starting the methylfolate in 2010, had to take 1000 mg. potassium faithfully daily (in divided doses) or the symptoms would start right up again. Now I take about 500 mg. potassium gluconate a day, and do okay, as opposed to 1000 mg a day.

fwiw, I'd been taking methylcobalamin for many years prior to starting methylfolate. My doctor did hair analysis each year and my cobalamin levels were always undetectable, even with injections. I think I needed more B12. It's a long story but I finally went to liquid methylcobalamin, 5000 - 10000 mcg daily (sublingually) and finally felt a difference, a little boost in energy, though nothing like the methylfolate did for me. I'm assuming I was much more deficient in methylfolate.

perchance dreamer

The low potassium symptom for me is leg cramps at night. I need both potassium and magnesium to control them. These 2 supplements work work well to prevent those painful cramps.

TinaT

finally went to liquid methylcobalamin, 5000 - 10000 mcg daily (sublingually) and finally felt a difference
Thank you for that great explanation!

Do you also need to hold the sublingual under your tongue for an extended period like 90-120 minutes? 🤔

lenora

We should all be ultra-careful and keep something like Pedia-lyte in our dwelling in case of an electrolyte imbalance. Such an imbalance can come on very suddenly, so have it handy. Yours, Lenora