• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low-mid back burning sensation

Jo86

Hi forum,
this is my first post here and I'd like to first of all ask about this symptom here that very few (if not no one) have ever reported positive to me. Any time I ask, CFS-type sick ppl tell me they haven't felt it.

I've had degenerative extreme exhaustion for the past 7-8 years now and any time I got really exhausted, often because of a bad sleeping night (late night and waking up late) I would feel this very distinctly "burning" sensation in my back, at the center of my back really.

I'm in a very severe state at the moment, and I've felt it every day many times a day for the past month. You don't suppose it's the adrenal glands ? What else could it be ? Surely it's in direct correlation with my fatigue as it burns the most when I feel the worst, when all my symptoms accelerate (big malaise, feeling generally awful, huge fatigue, no concentration, immense brainfog...)

Thank you.
God bless.

Jo86

mmm not so much, Art. What people are describing on that thread is quite different. But thanks nonetheless :)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Jo86
I think burning sensations on the skin are very common in ME. I have them down my left thigh probably every night nearly. More recently they have started on my right shoulder too, a fiery burning sensation like someone has a burning iron quite close to your skin, comes and goes. Maybe just varies where it appears on the body, but very common from what I've read.

Jo86

hi there. Not so much. For me it's a deep, inside sensation. Much deeper than the skin. It's like this deep fatigue, burnout sensation right around mid-back.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Obviously I can tell the sensation does come from inside the body but I can also feel it nearer the surface, its hard to explain.

On my worse days I often get a sort of burning ache in my lower back; somewhere between the top of my hip bones and mid-back, often two distinct points on either side. At its worst it feels like something is drilling two holes inside my back, like i can almost feel it grinding. I always assumed it was to do with my adrenals.