• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Glutamine on Nutreval but can't tolerate it

Hi,

I have very low glutamine on my Nutreval. But I cannot take it. I get anxious. It's because
I have a problem with low Gaba. Much what I can take to increase GABA just doesn't work for me. What can I do to correct this? I am also hetero CBS. I have Sulfur Intolerance. Thanks so much!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @calexis6666 - unfortunately I think many here have the same problem! Here's a thread about trying to increase GABA which may be of help to you: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/increasing-gaba-naturally.62482/

In the above thread, Hip talks about lowering glutamate, instead of raising GABA - it should have the same effect:
another approach is to focus on reducing glutamate levels, as glutamate has the opposite effect to GABA (GABA relaxes neurons, whereas glutamate stimulates them). So you can get an equally good calming effect by lowering glutamate as you can by raising GABA.

Vitamin C and resveratrol both help to scavenge excess glutamate. For awhile I was taking a very high dose of vitamin C, 2000 mg. every couple of hours when I was tapering off of lorazepam which I had taken for sleep. And the high dose Vitamin C helped quite a bit.

I did take glutamine for awhile, I think it helped my energy, but then I had to stop it because it was causing insomnia. Though it's been a couple of years since I've tried it and I may give it a go again to see if I tolerate it better.

Here's an article I just found about the GABA/glutamate balance - it covers a lot of things which affect this balance and Iooks pretty accurate: https://www.jacobsladdercenter.com/doc/research/other/How-to-Increase-GABA-and-Balance-Glutamate.pdf