• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low CD57

Athene

ihateticks.me
This ought to go in another thread I know exists about CD57, but I cannot find it.

I REALLY REALLY want to know how many other PWCs have got abnormally low CD57 NK cells?

According to "received wisdom" the only two causes of this are Lyme disease and AIDS.

If anyone has had this measured please could you tell me the results? Please?

Kati

Patient in training
Athene, I have had mine measured at VIP Dx, and the absolute count came at 100, normal 120-410. To be honest, I am not totally sure what it means and whether you can make a judgement just by looking at this one value. But I may just have the "Low natural killer cell disease". XMRV has turned out negative by culture (so far)

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I was part of a study called Laboratory Data Collection in a Sample of Chronically Ill Patients that took place in 2008 (I think).

It involved 36 "chronically ill" patients from a private medical practice diagnosed with CFS. This was data collection rather than a controlled study. I really don't understand this but will post the results. I hope I don't confuse further.

CD8-CD57+ Lymphs absolute (LabCorp reference range: 60-360)

44% were below range
77% were below 100
4% were above range

I just looked through all my old labs and pulled out my numbers. I really don't know what this all means, but I've been quite ill all along. It doesn't look like one test would necessarily be determinate.

11/18/08 52 (while on Valcyte)
01/22/08 242
07/27/07 176
09/01/06 72
05/10/06 126

Lesley

Mine were 44 at LabCorp with a reference range of 60-360. My doctor said this is indicative of chronic Lyme. Here's the study:

Immunol Lett. 2001 Feb 1;76(1):43-8.
Decreased CD57 lymphocyte subset in patients with chronic Lyme disease.
Stricker RB, Winger EE.

Department of Medicine, California Pacific Medical Center, 450 Sutter Street, Suite 1504, San Francisco, CA 94108, USA. rstricker@usmamed.com
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Chronic Lyme disease (LD) is a debilitating illness caused by tickborne infection with the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi. Although immunologic abnormalities appear to play a role in this disease, specific immunologic markers of chronic LD have not been identified. METHODS: We evaluated 73 patients with chronic LD for lymphocyte subset abnormalities using flow cytometry. Of these, 53 patients had predominant musculoskeletal symptoms, while 20 patients had predominant neurologic symptoms. The estimated duration of infection ranged from 3 months to 15 years, and all patients had positive serologic tests for B. burgdorferi. Ten patients with acute LD (infection less than 1 month) and 22 patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) served as disease controls. RESULTS: All 31 chronic LD patients who were tested prior to antibiotic treatment had significantly decreased CD57 lymphocyte counts (mean, 30+/-16 cells per microl; normal, 60-360 cells per microl, P<0.001). Nineteen of 37 patients (51%) who were tested after initiating antibiotic therapy had decreased CD57 levels (mean, 66+/-39 cells per microl), and all five patients tested after completing antibiotic treatment had normal CD57 counts (mean, 173+/-98 cells per microl). In contrast, all 10 patients with acute LD and 82% of AIDS patients had normal CD57 levels, and the difference between these groups and the pre-treatment patients with chronic LD was significant (P<0.001). Patients with chronic LD and predominant neurologic symptoms had significantly lower mean CD57 levels than patients with predominant musculoskeletal symptoms (30+/-21 vs. 58+/-37 cells per microl, P=0.002). CD57 levels increased in chronic LD patients whose symptoms improved, while patients with refractory disease had persistently low CD57 counts. CONCLUSIONS: A decrease in the CD57 lymphocyte subset may be an important marker of chronic LD. Changes in the CD57 subset may be useful to monitor the response to therapy in this disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11222912

I believe that a different subset of natural killer cells is usually abnormal in CFS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Thank you v much for this info, Lesley. I'm getting a more sensitive Borrelia test done - this research clearly justifies it.

Ladybug, as far as I understand it, CD57 is expressed by a subset of NK cells. CD 56 is expressed by all of them.

I've had it tested several times. It's always low, usually between 20 and 30.

I've heard that a number of doctors who aggresively treat Lyme think it's valuable, while others don't think it's a useful test. See here for example of the latter. In the blog post I linked to the doctor says -

"So I have been ordering this test [CD57] for years. Thousands. Unfortunately, I am left with the conclusion that it has been of very little help to my patients. I have seen no correlation between CD57 and disease activity."

roxie60

This ought to go in another thread I know exists about CD57, but I cannot find it.

I REALLY REALLY want to know how many other PWCs have got abnormally low CD57 NK cells?

According to "received wisdom" the only two causes of this are Lyme disease and AIDS.

If anyone has had this measured please could you tell me the results? Please?

I just got CD57 results back - LOW

vamah

Mine was 51. I do have hhv6 and I read that that can also lower cd57. Can't remember where I saw that though. Possibly the hhv6 association website.

I never really realized how low mine was until I saw people having numbers in the hundreds. Since under 60 is what's usually considered low, I saw mine as only slightly low. Maybe I need to rethink that.

roxie60

@vamah I also did not think mine too low but still below range, it was 55 but as you after seeing this can/should be in the hundreds I started to rethink my view as well. Now waiting on IGenex results to see if cause might be Lyme. My reason for thinking it wasnt that bad was because 60 is in range, now I realize that like so many other lab ranges would represent the worst of the range not restored health/immune system.

roxie60

How low?

Sushi

@Sushi 55 and 1.9%, so both just under range. Not sure it matters but I have had some better hours/days the last 6 weeks, prior to that I had some really sick 6-8 weeks.

I'm going to post this question under Lyme thread but this is what baffles me, how I can feel semi ok 1-3 hours and then feel my self decline in function/health as if a switch is turned on and symps start increasing. I know others expereince this with CFS/ME/CFIDS but is this also the case with untreated Lyme - can one feel ok (never 100%), more functional for awhile and then quickly start having symps that can go from mild to severe?

Last edited:

vamah

I requested an HHV-6 but was told not now by the doctor (???). Why would one get that kind of response from a doctor.
I had a doc refuse to test me for hhv6 also. I had to go outside my insurance and pay for mynown test with a doc who was willing to order it. The first doc's justification for not testing was that everyone has antibodies for herpes viruses and that it doesn't mean anything. If you can pay for those tests yourself, I would do it. They are not expensive compared to igenex.

I al so noticed that igenex shows a higher range for normal cd57, where 60-100 is considered borderline, not normal.

roxie60

I

I al so noticed that igenex shows a higher range for normal cd57, where 60-100 is considered borderline, not normal.

@vamah Thank you for that info, more in line with what other doctors are saying that over 100 is just the start of being better, some are saying 200 is indicative of immune health. My CD57 came from LabCorp so it is good to now what another lab considers in range. I really dont understand why there is not standards in place for lab ranges. We spend billions around the world and I have to wonder how friggen much would it cost to implement lab standards nationally or even globally.....:confused:

Infectolab in Germany also state on their website : "While acute Lyme infections and other illnesses show normal CD57-parameters, chronic Lyme patients often have parameter of 100 CD57-cells/µl in the blood or less."

As most of lab results, CD57 count gives only an indication. This value, together with other lab results, clinical observations, personal history of the patient, etc... will help the practioner to make his diagnose. So those ranges are not so important. (Most important is to find a practitioner that understand how to interpret the results)