• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low CD3+CD8+CD57+ ? Senescent T8 cells?

Hello all,

I have recently done a lymphocite panel that included CD3+CD8+ CD57+, among other things. It is very low, in my case. I did that panel again after a few months and the result was confirmed.

Oct 2019
CD3+CD8+ CD57+ 17 /mmc [170 - 375]
July 2020
CD3+CD8+ CD57+ 23 /mmc [170 - 375]

I am struggling to interpret this. Apparently these are senescent T8 cells. I have found surprisingly little information on these. They seem to be increased in a variety of infectious, autoimmune, oncological diseases, but i have not found a single instance where they would be decreased. Does anybody have a clue?

pattismith

Hello all,

I have recently done a lymphocite panel that included CD3+CD8+ CD57+, among other things. It is very low, in my case. I did that panel again after a few months and the result was confirmed.

Oct 2019
July 2020

I am struggling to interpret this. Apparently these are senescent T8 cells. I have found surprisingly little information on these. They seem to be increased in a variety of infectious, autoimmune, oncological diseases, but i have not found a single instance where they would be decreased. Does anybody have a clue?

CD3+CD8+ CD57+ are cytotoxic CD8 (T lymphocytes).

CD8 lymphocytes are very often low in MELCFS.

I would like to know why!

In some inflammatory diseases (polymyalgia Rhematica and Giant cell arteritis) CD8 are low too.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hello all,

Oct 2019
July 2020

If they are elevated then ones immune system is mounting an attack on something eg virus or bacteria etc. If low it can be said to be immune exhaustion from fighting some type of infection.
Definitely need to rule out autoimmunity and other immune deficiencies etc.

I'm afraid both of you are wrong. CD3+CD8+ are cytotoxic T cells. CD3+CD8+ CD57+ are senescent cytotoxic T cells. I haven't seen a study showing the latter is low in ME/CFS. I also haven't seen a study saying or suggesting they could be low due to "immune exhaustion from fighting some type of infection", in fact, the longer the chronic viral infection, the higher these cells get. I suppose it could perhaps be an exotic kind of immunodeficiency, but again if there were chronic or recurring pathogens these cells should go up, not down.

Hip

Not that I know much about it, but shouldn't you have individual cell count figures for each of these three markers?

Note that CD57 is found on both NK cells and T-cells.

Low CD57 was suggested as a marker for Lyme disease, but apparently there is some controversy whether this really is a test for Lyme. See:
This Lifespan Lyme Disease Center sees some patients who have had a CD57 test done by a previous doctor. The basis for this test follows a study conducted in the 1980s which concluded that Lyme patients have abnormally low numbers of CD57 Natural Killer (NK) cells.

CD57 NK cells are immune system attackers, not taggers such as the antibodies explained in the two-tiered test section. (CD57 T cell tests are different and do not indicate Lyme, so be aware of the differentiation).

A link to that study is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11222912

Granted, other studies have not found a significant difference in CD57 NK cells in patients with Lyme. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2725528/pdf/0167‐09.pdf. As a result, the conflicting information has facilitated debate between patients, scientists, and health professionals.
Source: here.

sometexan84

@Hubris

Who had you do this test and why?

I don't mean to freak you out, but if you haven't already done so, I would get tested for HIV and Leukemia.

One thing I found was something called Shigella infection. So I'd look into that as well.

Also, like you said, it could be a genetic immunodeficiency. I would test your Immunoglobulin levels, IgE, IgA, IgM, and IgG. If those are abnormal, you might have a primary immunodeficiency, in which case, you'd need further testing.

pattismith

Not that I know much about it, but shouldn't you have individual cell count figures for each of these three markers?

Note that CD57 is found on both NK cells and T-cells.

Low CD57 was suggested as a marker for Lyme disease, but apparently there is some controversy whether this really is a test for Lyme. See:

Source: here.
@Hip

I think all the lymphocytes CD8 have the CD3 and CD8 markers (CD4 lymphocytes have CD3+CD4+)

This 2013 paper hypothesis can give some light:

"While first characterized as an NK cell marker, CD57 has been most widely explored as a marker of replicative senescence on T cells (19).

Under conditions of persistent immune stimulation, memory T cells convert from CD28+CD57− to CD28−CD57+ (20); CD57+ cells have short telomeres, low telomerase activity, low expression of cell-cycle associated genes and limited proliferative capacity (20, 21).

However, CD57+CD28−CD8+ T cells can proliferate given an appropriate cytokine milieu (22), their sensitivity to apoptosis is disputed (23, 24), they are highly cytotoxic (25, 26) and express natural killer receptors (27).

CD57+CD8+ T cells should thus be regarded as terminally differentiated, oligoclonal populations of cytotoxic cells generated in response to chronic antigen stimulation."

pattismith

Hello all,

Oct 2019
July 2020

I just found a study showing decreased expression of CD57 T lymphocytes in CFS patients here, this thread may bring you some insight?

gm286

OP no longer seems to have an account...? I *also* have very low T8 senescent cells from a specific immunology lab done in France many years ago.

My CD8 and CD57 cells are low as well, but the low T8 actually seems a lot more particular, not much info on that online. Wish we knew what it was explicitly connected with. Also tested for low CD25 as well as IL2R.

After some research: low CD25 = low IL2RA = low IL2R = low CD8+ = low T8 senescent cells.

Thymus activity inhibited (and autoimmunity upregulated) by CD25 deficiency. Seems like a problem I've had all along.

Last edited: