• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Loss of interest in hobbies? Depression.

Float

Thank you wishful. I'm pretty sure irs juat the cfs as I supplement and have had cfs diagnosed.

Its likely my brain and body just wanting me to rest as you say maybe its it's way of making me rest properly right now. I dont think it's any additional health thing as its very specific, just a loss of moni for my hobbies, I dont feel majorly depressed or tearful. Nothing like how I felt when depressed- it's just a loss if interest in the hobbies I used to love- now my mind just wants me to watch tv and rest. Like my mojo has just got up and left, so maybe it is just the fatigue.

Thank you
I find watching TV zaps my mojo. The more I watch TV / streaming movies / online , the less I feel like exercising or reading. If I stop watching my quality of life improves. TV is okay in bits n pieces but after a few weeks movie marathons I can say it's detrimental for me. I also don't eat aa healthy when I watch lots of TV , eat after dusk which is very fogging and fatiguing , and eat more. This all adds up to feeling a loss of interest in pursuits. Blame the TV 😆😉

Jemima37

I do spend a lot of time resting. I lie on my bed every day (which makes me feel like a slob and the worst mother and wife ever). During the week I get up hourly and pop downstairs on days I’m not crashed, and do a few chores etc, Potter around the house but rest again afterwards. I worry I don’t do enough though. By weekends I’m drained so I tend to rest all weekend while hubby’s home, I still get up hourly and walk about to the bathroom, pop see the kids if they’re home and maybe go downstairs for a bit but I don’t do a great deal as by the weekend I find myself more fatigued so hubby makes me rest while he does the jobs. Again that gives me guilt as he works all week. I worry that must also look like an absent mum to my kids. During the week they’re at school and work so don’t see me active doing chores, then at weekends I need rest so that’s all they see I guess. They come and sit with me if they’re home but there are days if I’m crashed I need to rest quietly. Argh the guilt it all causes. God I wish I was normal and could just walk around my house all day like I used to. I push myself to try and be like that and I crash hard or end up having a panic attack after 10 minutes because my physical symptoms hit hard. I can only do 10 minutes at a time walking about before my heart rate rises and I feel hot and woozy, and need to rest again. I do my chores in shifts haha.

Is anyone else in my situation where you rest a lot on your bed? Sorry for going off topic, i feel the worst mum. Which definitely adds to my stress levels which always feel high due to the guilt I beat myself up with daily, and I guess stops me doing my interests and doing more at home. The guilt crashes me at times.

Wishful

Sorry for going off topic, i feel the worst mum.

Maybe it would help if you imagined that you had a broken leg or other seriously disabling accidental injury instead. No one would blame you for not being supermom in that situation. The problem with ME is that it's invisible: other people can't see the difference between ME and laziness. You might not be convinced that it's not your fault for not overcoming it by willpower or whatever, and thus you feel guilty about failing in some way. Until someone comes up with an actual treatment, we can't be responsible for not getting better.

So, next time your body prevents you from doing mom work, picture a bone fracture (or whatever) that requires rest, and which would get worse if you pushed further.

Rufous McKinney

Is anyone else in my situation where you rest a lot on your bed?

Yes.

I sit in a chair, mostly.

Lying back down in the afternoons happens on the worse days, PEM days etc. I can do 2-3 hour sessions of just lying there..not doing anything, not thinking that much either. Just kinda- in some state of being but not doing.

Some time yesterday was spent with a person who comes to help me with errands...we discussed Law of Attraction...all that.

I vow to try harder to convert more negative thoughts to positive or neutral thoughts. I vow.

Today around 11, my brother called and we chatted. About 1/2 an hour into that- ATP ran out. Or whatever it is that happens wherein- nothing is left ZAP. ZOMBIE. I was not....Reeling that In. I was enjoying talking to my brother, and now, talking more or longer is not ok and I am getting really exhausted and can't think...Stop.

Then somebody knocked on the door. Political Canvaser. I opened the door, how nice, a young Woman supporting a candidate...so invite her in. We chat about politics...I'm standing by my chair. ..and I realize I am starting to fall over...I am not supposed to be standing here and chatting with this gal...its MORE chatting and MORE standing...I keep glancing at the chair...eventually I send her on her way.

So I didn't predict any of that. Didn't plan it. Didn't think it. But burned thru all that energy thinking and talking anyway. ZAP.

More rest required. More not doing required.

Jemima37

Maybe it would help if you imagined that you had a broken leg or other seriously disabling accidental injury instead. No one would blame you for not being supermom in that situation. The problem with ME is that it's invisible: other people can't see the difference between ME and laziness. You might not be convinced that it's not your fault for not overcoming it by willpower or whatever, and thus you feel guilty about failing in some way. Until someone comes up with an actual treatment, we can't be responsible for not getting better.

So, next time your body prevents you from doing mom work, picture a bone fracture (or whatever) that requires rest, and which would get worse if you pushed further.
Thank you for your lovely advice. You make perfect sense.

I try to remind myself that I don’t like resting, I don’t like being in my bed and I do my best on the days I can do more. I think how it affects them all the time, I imagine them seeing me on my bed, not leaving the house etc and what it must do to their childhood etc and never ever feel sorry for myself when at times I should give myself a bit of a hug because it’s also affecting me.

Thank you.

Jemima37

Yes.

I sit in a chair, mostly.

Lying back down in the afternoons happens on the worse days, PEM days etc. I can do 2-3 hour sessions of just lying there..not doing anything, not thinking that much either. Just kinda- in some state of being but not doing.

Some time yesterday was spent with a person who comes to help me with errands...we discussed Law of Attraction...all that.

I vow to try harder to convert more negative thoughts to positive or neutral thoughts. I vow.

Today around 11, my brother called and we chatted. About 1/2 an hour into that- ATP ran out. Or whatever it is that happens wherein- nothing is left ZAP. ZOMBIE. I was not....Reeling that In. I was enjoying talking to my brother, and now, talking more or longer is not ok and I am getting really exhausted and can't think...Stop.

Then somebody knocked on the door. Political Canvaser. I opened the door, how nice, a young Woman supporting a candidate...so invite her in. We chat about politics...I'm standing by my chair. ..and I realize I am starting to fall over...I am not supposed to be standing here and chatting with this gal...its MORE chatting and MORE standing...I keep glancing at the chair...eventually I send her on her way.

So I didn't predict any of that. Didn't plan it. Didn't think it. But burned thru all that energy thinking and talking anyway. ZAP.

More rest required. More not doing required.
I love the law of attraction and I so need to get back to being more mindful of that. I lost my way with the LOA when I lost my mojo for hobbies etc recently.

Well done for doing what you do, I can’t even answer the door to the postman I get so anxious on my feet standing chatting to anyone. Damn cfs controls everything.

Rufous McKinney

I imagine them seeing me on my bed, not leaving the house etc and what it must do to their childhood etc and never ever feel sorry for myself when at times I should give myself a bit of a hug because it’s also affecting me.

I grew up with a Mom who did not drive and lived in suburbias.

Grounded.

Other mothers drove, other kids had more fun- doing things after school, lessons, all that.

I didn't get to have that. It bothered me some when I was like in Junior High..but not that much. Because then I became later very independent...and I could spend alot of time alone...I was fine...reading, creating etc. I rode my bike places....and felt more Independent.

So its a form of experience, and experiences vary....

Rufous McKinney

I love the law of attraction and I so need to get back to being more mindful of that.

I'm all for all that, and of course I do feel this is- important....this reality we create and can influence to some degree. And putting out concepts and dreams and goals in a healthy way, is motivating and good for humans.

Or we can for sure influence: our own relationship to the thing in question. That is where we are all powerful beings. We can decide to think differently about- what something means, or represents, or symbolizes.

But it also raises alot of Buttons that I don't want to push- like that ME is an illusion and so, shake the illusion and wave bye bye. That physical bodies are fundamentally healthy, or know what healthy is, and are simply somehow off track. And then somehow its your own fault because you - reduced the quantum wave to a particle by looking at it.

Or "something is wrong with me" because I made an observation and the horror that it was a negative or imperfect observation.

So I have a bit of an aversion to the White Board.

Squirm.

But there is something to be learned, over there where things are bit more uncomfortable.

Wishful

For the problem of people knocking on your door wanting to chat, can anyone come up with a good t-shirt notice that will convince those people to not chat? Maybe a good explanation for people you know, to convince them not to call you up or drop in for a chat. Chatting really does seem to suck the mental energy out of us, so it is something we need to avoid for medical reasons. If we had a big cast on our legs, people wouldn't invite us for a run, so it would be useful to have the equivalent of a big visible cast.

Wishful

Is anyone else in my situation where you rest a lot on your bed?

I think that the times I give in and rest on my bed during the day may actually make my symptoms feel worse. It's hard to be sure, but I think a flare-up of symptoms is less and shorter if I sit rather than go horizontal, and do something (mindless project or computer game) rather than doing nothing. We all respond differently, but you might want to experiment with other responses when your ME tells you to lay down. If laying down is the best option, at least you'll have confirmed it.

Wishful

Picturing a leg cast might not be enough. Does anyone sell fake body casts that are easy to put on and take off again? :D

Jemima37

I think that the times I give in and rest on my bed during the day may actually make my symptoms feel worse. It's hard to be sure, but I think a flare-up of symptoms is less and shorter if I sit rather than go horizontal, and do something (mindless project or computer game) rather than doing nothing. We all respond differently, but you might want to experiment with other responses when your ME tells you to lay down. If laying down is the best option, at least you'll have confirmed it.
If I’m crashed I can’t do much physically so I rest and watch tv until it passes. I lie down but propped up so half sat, never fully horizontal. When I crash my arms go weak like today, and it’s hard to even type on my phone so I guess there’s little else to do on crash days.

Jemima37

@Jemima37 -- Are you familiar with thoracic outlet syndrome? It can affect nerve energy going to the arms, and could be the cause of your arms going weak. Here's a link to search results on this forum on the topic:

thoracic outlet syndrome
I just had a google. I don’t have the symptoms of that. My arms just crash if I over use them and cause an ache in them along with weakness. I don’t have any tingling or numbness.