• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for wheelchair recommendations...

wabi-sabi

Hi Everybody,

I think the time has come when I need help to get around. My doctor has given me a referral to talk to OT about wheelchairs or scooters, but I'm wondering what people here have found helpful. My insurance probably won't pay, so price is a consideration.

Moof

Powerchairs with the drive wheels at the centre are very manoeuvrable, meaning they're most useful in shops, in public transport, etc, and they're a good first chair. Buy the biggest and most robust you can find! Lightweight chairs are pretty hopeless – steer like tanks, no torque, and it feels like you're been driven around in a supermarket trolley.

Above all, I would try something secondhand first. You can never know whether or not something's right for you until you've used it for several weeks, and it's very easy to make costly mistakes. It's not like buying cars, there's very little to go wrong with electric motors; you'd almost always need to budget for new batteries (people often don't understand that if they're not charged regularly, they'll fail), but otherwise you can save 50% or more by buying secondhand.

I've used powerchairs for nearly 20 years, and apart from my current chair (a gift from my late mother, which has 6" wide low pressure tyres so that it'll cope with mud, sand, etc for wildlife watching), they've all been secondhand. Mostly from places like eBay, as secondhand equipment dealers need to make a business profit out of selling them; ordinary individuals are just trying to reclaim house space for something that they or their relative no longer needs!

If you've got the energy, it's worth visiting either a secondhand dealer or an Independent Living-type charities, to try out some models. (I'm not sure whether you have Independent Living in the US – it's a UK organisation that allows people to try out and get advice on disability aids free of charge, without any sales pressure. They helped me choose my first chair.)

Good luck!

rel8ted

I hate my scooter bc it is hard to maneuver. The wheelbase is much longer than a chair and it’s not manageable in right spots. I still use it, but it isn’t ideal.

bombsh3ll

In some places you can hire a wheelchair initially to try out the type you think would suit you.
That's what I did and will be doing again when I get a reclining wc.

B xxx

Dechi

I have the Travel Buggy, a motorized wheelchair. Manual was bot an option for me, I have nobody to push me most of the time and can’t do it myself due to muscular fatigue/weakness.

This wheelchair is foldable and you can put it in your car trunk, which is why I chose it. It’s also sturdy and you can use it to stroll outside in the city. It has very good autonomy, after about 4 hours of use, my batteries are still going.

At first I wanted a scooter but you need a garage or other place with electicity to store it, which I didn’t have. Also, I wanted something to allow me to go shopping once in a while, which I haven’t done in years.

It’s expensive, but maybe your insurance will pay.

https://www.thetravelbuggy.com/product/city/

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
If you have to use your own money, you could search for a used power chair. Often they can be found in pretty good shape for a reasonable price. These chairs can be bulky, so you can't put them in a car, but possibly on a carrier on the back. Foldable ones are not as heavy duty but they are lightweight, you can save some money by buying a refurbished model. Scooters can usually be secured to the back of your car with a scooter carrier. Going through a medical supplier can be quite pricy, so do shop around. If you can get a prescription from your doctor, the wheelchair can probably be deemed medically necessary. Your insurance might still need some convincing, so it will take some effort.

https://howtogeton.wordpress.com/20...tric-wheelchair-or-scooter-through-insurance/