• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long COVID symptoms likely caused by Epstein-Barr virus reactivation

sometexan84

NEWS RELEASE 23-JUN-2021
Long COVID symptoms likely caused by Epstein-Barr virus reactivation

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-06/wo-lcs062221.php

"66.7% .... of 68 ..... of long COVID subjects versus 10% of controls were positive for EBV reactivation based on positive EBV early antigen-diffuse (EA-D) IgG or EBV viral capsid antigen (VCA) IgM titer"

Not saying I completely agree w/ this... just wanted to share for discussion...

You know, it's funny, it's like all the new findings in Long COVID are the same findings in ME/CFS, but from 10 years ago.

Just replace "Long COVID" with "ME/CFS" and go back 10 years.

You can easily tell if the researcher(s) of a Long Covid article/study has studied the history of ME/CFS. Honestly, they should all be required to do that first.. save some time.

sometexan84

My actual opinion of the claim is that I think EBV is very much involved in CFS... but I do not believe it is the sole cause of symptoms. (admittedly, I did believe this for quite some time)

I also believe that enterovirus and covid, and maybe others can re-activate EBV, as well as other latent infections.

Also want to point out that I LOVE how they mentioned the use of EA Early Antigen and IgM to confirm active infection. It's nice to finally see correct interpretation for active EBV infection.