• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long Covid: 'My fatigue was like nothing I've experienced before'

Hip

I joined one of the long COVID Facebook groups, and there are a lot of people reporting not only fatigue, but also post-exertional malaise (PEM). PEM of course is one of the hallmark symptoms of ME/CFS, so this is certainly provides some evidence that many long COVID patients may have ME/CFS triggered by coronavirus (and quite possibly maintained by an ongoing low-level coronavirus infection in their tissues, like we find with enterovirus ME/CFS patients).

Other long COVID patients might have different conditions, like for example viral lung damage that takes a long time to heal.

Last edited:

HABS93

Alright government it's time to pull out a win and fix this. Covid is the best thing to happen to CFS/me sufferers. Just gotta be like " covid caused my cfs". The government has no choice but to figure out how to fix this.

BrightCandle

I can't believe that Covid-19 and the long hauler aspect hasn't turned the medical professions head-on ME/CFS and related conditions. It really destroys the hope I had that it might finally change the research funding situation and finally bring some proven treatments. One of the key problems with ME/CFS was understanding what caused the patient to get this way, a virus but which one, was it trauma etc. Well in Covid19 we know the exact DNA sequence of the bugger that kicked it off and when. 35% of people who positively tested for having it are suffering long term it's clear as day. Most have PEM and other ME symptoms and those that don't if they don't recover will develop it, the obvious PEM came later for me in the development of my condition.

I think the medical world may be broken beyond repair if a pandemic causing it, that will disable millions in the USA alone, isn't enough to change attitudes. Maybe the massive social care bill associated with this will make the government take notice but it really depends how far this virus rips before a vaccine appears if its years more. Maybe the 5-10% that end up with ME/CFS longterm will massively increase the patient base and start to wake them up, but honestly, I doubt it now based on the lack of response we have already seen combined with their insistence to call the same disease something different.

But the BMJ the best they can do is say maybe GET isn't appropriate for the C19 Long haulers, but those ME patients over there they should be exercised to death. There are lots of bad things about this disease but what really rips the hope from you is seeing how you are treated with complete contempt. I think the treatment of ME patients constitutes a crime against humanity, they are torturing people here in the UK knowing the evidence for it has been thoroughly rubbished internationally and by their own experts.

Cinders66

I can't believe that Covid-19 and the long hauler aspect hasn't turned the medical professions head-on ME/CFS and related conditions. It really destroys the hope I had that it might finally change the research funding situation and finally bring some proven treatments. One of the key problems with ME/CFS was understanding what caused the patient to get this way, a virus but which one, was it trauma etc. Well in Covid19 we know the exact DNA sequence of the bugger that kicked it off and when. 35% of people who positively tested for having it are suffering long term it's clear as day. Most have PEM and other ME symptoms and those that don't if they don't recover will develop it, the obvious PEM came later for me in the development of my condition.

I think the medical world may be broken beyond repair if a pandemic causing it, that will disable millions in the USA alone, isn't enough to change attitudes. Maybe the massive social care bill associated with this will make the government take notice but it really depends how far this virus rips before a vaccine appears if its years more. Maybe the 5-10% that end up with ME/CFS longterm will massively increase the patient base and start to wake them up, but honestly, I doubt it now based on the lack of response we have already seen combined with their insistence to call the same disease something different.

But the BMJ the best they can do is say maybe GET isn't appropriate for the C19 Long haulers, but those ME patients over there they should be exercised to death. There are lots of bad things about this disease but what really rips the hope from you is seeing how you are treated with complete contempt. I think the treatment of ME patients constitutes a crime against humanity, they are torturing people here in the UK knowing the evidence for it has been thoroughly rubbished internationally and by their own experts.
I agree. It’s sickening. I’m not sure if they’re just so blind to the truth because of their prejudice, misconceprions and arrogance or if they realise they have cocked up big time but will do anything to never admit it. Whichever it’s grim And it’s very hard to understand in a profession that truly sees Itself as an elite and heroes. They have been universally so awful to our community. It’s not just Francis Collins & execs who Wont put up the money, it’s all the drs on our side who don’t speak up as much As they could (in the uk think people like Julia newton who’s now cooing over longcovid) , It’s the fatigue researchers in other illness who still scorn CFS, it’s all our primary care givers who see us year on year and don’t care there’s nothing they can do or just treat us as annoyance. That prejudice and indifference in an elite who see themselves above criticism, outside scrutiny and operate in their own bubble so on is Dangerous

Last edited: