• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long Covid is a missed opportunity to show that vaccines are important even for those who think that if they get covid - it will be mild.

Hipsman

Title says it all. Some think that if they are healthy in their 20s, then they don’t need the vaccine, because it will be like another cold for them.

Most of long haulers had mild covid, so it would be a good argument for officials to make on why it’s important to take the vaccine even for the most healthy people.

Unfortunately I don’t see any officials making this argument. But if they did, then it would give much needed publicity to Long Covid and ME/CFS.

BrightCandle

I am beginning to think we ought to have vaccines as a treatment option too. There is growing evidence now with covid19 and other viruses that they stick around in the body causing various dysfunctions depending on what cells they have taken over. With the long haulers sometimes getting better from the vaccine shots I am beginning to wonder if waking the immune system up to remobilise against the faked threat can actually lead to cellular cleanup and reduce their dysfunction. Previously considered boring benign viruses could be the cause of a lot of chronic conditions and if we just developed vaccines for them we might get some recovery.

The research coming out from covid19 is fascinating, we are learning a lot from long haulers which arguably should have happened with ME over the past 70 years but it is at least happening now and boy is it looking like post viral conditions are a heck of a lot more than just the immune system gets funky and the virus does damage. Looks more like no virus ever leaves, it just beds in.

Hip

Some think that if they are healthy in their 20s, then they don’t need the vaccine, because it will be like another cold for them.

Many viruses are linked to triggering chronic diseases, sometimes years or decades after your first caught them (because lots of viruses remain in the body for life as a low-level infection).

It could well be that those who caught coronavirus will years or decades later develop a chronic disease linked to this virus.

After the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, years or decades later, about 1 million people developed the chronic disease called encephalitis lethargica, where people were barely able to move, and became "living statues".

Looks more like no virus ever leaves, it just beds in.

That's often the case: you catch a virus, and you get over the acute infection quickly, but many viruses stick around in the body for the rest of your life as low-level infections in various tissues and organs.

Most of the chronic diseases that afflict humanity are linked to infections which never leave the body. See:

List of chronic diseases linked to infectious pathogens

Rufous McKinney

Unfortunately I don’t see any officials making this argument. But if they did, then it would give much needed publicity to Long Covid and ME/CFS.

PBS New Hour Judy Woodruff....Interviewed Dr. Francis Collins NIH, on May 12.

Collins uttered: Long Haul COVID.

I should go find the clip if I can....

hapl808

Most of long haulers had mild covid, so it would be a good argument for officials to make on why it’s important to take the vaccine even for the most healthy people.

I think we need more info on Long Covid and the effects of vaccines before we can say that. I also have not seen that most long haulers had mild cases, rather that no correlation has been established between severity and Long Covid? In addition, until they understand more of the etiology or progression, I think it's misleading to push that narrative. I've heard them say, "If you get vaccinated, then at least you'll have a mild case even if you get it so you won't get Long Covid." Yet that's often said right after they say even if you get a mild case unvaccinated, you can still get Long Covid. So they need to study if you get a mild case after vaccination, can you still get Long Covid?

In short, they know and understand very little and mostly ignore ME/CFS and its connection to Long Covid.