• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lo/Alter/Gill NIH VideoCast, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Is There a Virus?

ixchelkali

The NIH Demystifying Medicine series will air a videocast on ME/CFS on February 22 at 4:00pm Eastern Time. The title is "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Is There a Virus?" The authors of the presentation are Shyh-Ching Lo (FDA), Fred Gill (NIDDK) and Harvey Alter (NIDDK).

Here's the link for more info: http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=9925

It looks as though you need to pre-register via http://demystifyingmedicine.od.nih.gov/

Save the date!

(Sorry if this has already been posted; I did a search and didn't find it.)

sensing progress

I can't wait for this! Dr. Alter has become a hero of mine. I hope he and Dr. Lo will have some new data to present.

Also, I was not familiar with the name Fred Gill, but a quick google search revealed that he has been an infectious disease doctor treating Laura Hillenbrand in the past.

SOC

I am surprised there isn't more excitement about this. I for one have the date circled on my calendar!

Many people read the thread, so most of them did the same thing I did, marked the calendar and sat back to wait for the event. I'm excited, too, but I can' think of much to say about the videocast, yet. :sofa:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have it circled and an alarm set in my old PDA. I think most peole are thinking "I wish this was tomorrow!!!". Could they possibly drop a BOMBSHELL???? What is the general capacity of these videocast?

I'm making a prediction - Dr. Alter/LoGill have fullt sequenced the virus previously found and/or has isolated the virus fully (both ends/sides) intergrated into human DNA!!

The whole "videocast" (I'm presuming fully recorded) presentation could possibly be a great way to present a paper/study. The plus side is that it does not have to go through peer-review (??) and possiblt sit in wait for months waiting to be published. I personally think Dr. Alter is still pissed about his first paper being delayed and wants to put some minds to rest in his own words. I'm just saying!

sensing progress

I'm making a prediction - Dr. Alter/LoGill have fullt sequenced the virus previously found and/or has isolated the virus fully (both ends/sides) intergrated into human DNA!!

That would be really something but I don't want to get my hopes up. I just feel privileged/excited to get to see Dr. Alter et al speak about our illness, for 2 hours no less! Dr. Alter is my hero.

Francelle

More tantalising carrots. Three and a bit weeks.......more waiting - always waiting, waiting, waiting for the next glimmer of information or hope!

It occurs to me though that they cannot reveal anything that hasn't yet been published - can they?

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I really want to know in advance what they're going to say, as I'd love to share the link with a few infectious disease doctors of my acquaintance - the ones who were so eager to "educate" me about how ME/CFS is not an infectious illness and about how it *couldn't* be an infectious illness.

But I know a doctor isn't going to sit down during his/her busy day and watch a webcast like this, so I wonder if transcripts/notes will be available afterward? It appears there will be video archived for later viewing. Hell, I'd transcribe the thing myself, just for the pleasure of educating doctors who haven't gotten a single new memo on ME/CFS since the Stephen Straus days.

eric_s

Good question... Maybe because we are not the targeted audience? Or it will come later?

I was also excited to read about it but for whatever reason i never commented. What could you say much before you have seen it...

ixchelkali

I'm excited about this lecture, but also puzzled.
Why didn't I get an e-mail about it, since I went to the trouble of signing up for the NIH Listserve?

eric_s is right, we aren't the target audience. It's part of an online course that is "primarily directed toward Ph.D. students, fellows, and staff, it is also of interest to medical students and clinicians." I'm glad they're trying to bring that audience up to speed.

If we start discussing it now, we're going to drive those people who dislike speculation right up the wall! :D

sensing progress

"This Videocast has been designated NIH Only. You are not authorized to view this event from this network. Please refer to this FAQ"

Dang it!!!!

Hopefully they will let the public view the recording when it's posted at least. Maybe we need to contact someone over there?

August59

I pre-registered a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was accepted, but it must not have been because I'm locked out too! It looks like some of the members are watching though

August59

This was not NIH only when I registered and just sent a strong email about changing this without notification. I registered without any problems at all