• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Little lump under my armpit

Jemima37

This is hard for me to type as I suffer anxiety and I’m afraid of someone scaring me. I’ve been trying to reassure myself so that I keep calm but if anyone can offer reassurance I’d appreciate it.

On Monday I noticed a small ball shape lump in my armpit. Very small, it reminds me of the tiny silver balls you used to decorate on cupcakes as a child. Maybe half the size of a pea. It’s perfectly round like a tiny ball, doesn’t hurt and it’s very much just under the armpit skin, so very close to the surface. It’s not deep inside the armpit and I can pull it away and wiggle it between my fingers as I stretch the skin out.

I’m very prone to cysts behind my ears, and under my arm and groin I’ve been known to get infected hair follicles but usually those come up as sore lumps so I didn’t think it could be that. It’s also not a gland I’m sure as if mine raise (not that this is raised as it’s a tiny ball) they’re sore when inflamed also. I showed my husband and he said it’s nothing to worry about as it’s so small but he told me to leave it for a week then we would check again, but of course me being me I’m rolling it between my fingers countless times a day due to worry which I know is inflaming the area. I told my best friend, he said I’d have a breast lump if it was linked to cancer which is what I was terrified of but my breasts are fine I’ve examined them and asked my husband to double check. I’m small chested so notice any changes.

I’m just panicking myself as it’s painless and ball shaped. I’m constantly anxious and worried what if I have breast cancer even though my breast is fine, but doctors check armpits at a breast exam am my minds racing. My friend said he won’t be that as I’ve no history in my family, I’m only 40. I’m just worrying myself so much hence why I can’t stop checking it and I’ve now made the area sore. Panicking incase it’s something bad. Yet touching it over and over I’m sure will cause it to get bigger as it’s inflamed with me prodding it. Prodding it doesn’t change anything either it’s just the anxiety making me do iffy.

I also have agoraphobia and severe social anxiety as I’ve mentioned before on here so of course this has made my anxiety bad too incase I need to get it checked if it grows or doesn’t go. My friend said I’m jumping ahead of myself. He said if it doesn’t grow it’s nothing at all to worry about. He said his wife said if it was her she wouldn’t worry ag all and if she noticed it sss still there and didn’t grow she may mention it ag a future appointment but not make one specifically for it unless it grew or something. I panic over needing appointments so already my anxiety has terrified me it’s sinister and I will need hospital treatment etc.

I could do without this worry, coronavirus has caused enough worry right now, all my family home so I’ve very little rest with such a busy house, my cats have had a huge fight after 9 years living in bliss they now have to be separated until we can slowly re introduce them... it’s been a tough few weeks and then I find this so my stress and anxiety levels are even higher.
Can anyone reassure me? Please don’t scare me :(

Last edited:

lookinglass

Do you use a deodorant? I used to get these when I used AntiPerspirant. They are cysts. Never use these things again! Just use wet wipes during day!

Jemima37

Do you use a deodorant? I used to get these when I used AntiPerspirant. They are cysts. Never use these things again!
Thank you.
I do, I use a chemical free one and usually been ok with it. Does it sound like a a cyst? It does feel like one but I’m not sure how they’d differ to a cancerous lump.
My friend said you don’t get armpit cancer Julie and for it to be female related you’d have a breast lump first then spreads into the armpit causing large lymph nodes and you’d have more than. One. I hope he’s right.

Last edited:

lookinglass

He is right! Relax. Keep washing only. They will go soon! Xx. Ps chemical free is never free of toxins. Dont be fooled by any organic either. You have sensitivity to all these products. Anyhow suppressing bodily sweat is wrong!

Rufous McKinney

Can anyone reassure me?

Its most likely not the scary thing your thinking it is. Your distress and anxiety about it are totally understandable.

Sometimes I think the unknown is just way worse than confronting and knowing. Your going to keep stressing when your reminded that is there, and this more stress is not helpful. Getting the stress to convert to a less anxious condition is important. And we tend to think the worse case scenario, when in fact is likely just some odd thing that will resolve.

I'd recommend just getting your doctor to check it out, they love to recommend biopsies, and I would assume you'd like to avoid that, so you could decide to just avoid it for a few weeks, or create a window of time where in your not doing that, but keeping an eye on things. Put the worry on a peg. Return to it at a later date. You may find it resolves.

Jemima37

Thank you.
Yes, I’m going to do what the GP would most likely say, ours always say five if a few weeks and if not gone come back. So I’m doing that first.
It’s so hard as I can’t see people let alone have a doctor in my house. It’s hard to admit I’ve had this social anxiety for 2 years and it’s very embarrassing to admit that I’m like this. I guess it’s hard for people to understand who haven’t suffered it but I’m terrified of needing to see my GP now if in a few eeens this hasn’t gone down :(
Its most likely not the scary thing your thinking it is. Your distress and anxiety about it are totally understandable.

Sometimes I think the unknown is just way worse than confronting and knowing. Your going to keep stressing when your reminded that is there, and this more stress is not helpful. Getting the stress to convert to a less anxious condition is important. And we tend to think the worse case scenario, when in fact is likely just some odd thing that will resolve.

I'd recommend just getting your doctor to check it out, they love to recommend biopsies, and I would assume you'd like to avoid that, so you could decide to just avoid it for a few weeks, or create a window of time where in your not doing that, but keeping an eye on things. Put the worry on a peg. Return to it at a later date. You may find it resolves.
ng it a few weeks as that’s what my GP would

Jemima37

He is right! Relax. Keep washing only. They will go soon! Xx. Ps chemical free is never free of toxins. Dont be fooled by any organic either. You have sensitivity to all these products. Anyhow suppressing bodily sweat is wrong!
Thank you. Very true, maybe it’s that. Just usually if I gets a blocked hair follicle or something it’s sore and a lump not a lump with no pain. That’s why I’m worried and the fact it’s very ball shaped.

Rufous McKinney

It’s hard to admit I’ve had this social anxiety for 2 years and it’s very embarrassing to admit that I’m like this.

I really had a hard time understanding this myself when it started happening. It took me several YEARS to realize- oh thats a Panic Attack- and they are awful so Agorophobic is a better plan. (just don't do the thing, at all).

Isn't it fun to be out, unable to eat or chew, blood sugar careening, floating around unable to understand why you feel like you might die in the next 5 minutes?

Or its the night before you have to do some important thing, and your body decides to never sleep. Not ever. Like the nite before my husband's minor surgery and I have to drive him back. Why should the body cooperate? Why go along with that program. Hallucinate in the lobby, for hours, instead. Pacing, freaking out. Really helpful, thank you Self.

I did the whole ditty- thought I was having a full bore heart attack...when in fact I'm simply gone 36 hours without sleeping on a flight from Hawaii. I had really stressful work trips, and I start not sleeping the nite before. With this illness, not sleeping leads to a Terminal Illness.

So I worked for over ten years, with severe anxiety.

My medical anxiety improved when I stumbled upon my new GP, who is really kind and cares and understands that ME is a real and an awful life sentence. He tries to help me. I still get high blood pressure readings in his office, even tho I am relatively relaxed.

And yeah, he wanted to biopsy some lymph node and I was not- going along with that plan.

I have scary lymph things and assume they may some day get me, but until that day, oh well.

Jemima37

I really had a hard time understanding this myself when it started happening. It took me several YEARS to realize- oh thats a Panic Attack- and they are awful so Agorophobic is a better plan. (just don't do the thing, at all).

Isn't it fun to be out, unable to eat or chew, blood sugar careening, floating around unable to understand why you feel like you might die in the next 5 minutes?

Or its the night before you have to do some important thing, and your body decides to never sleep. Not ever. Like the nite before my husband's minor surgery and I have to drive him back. Why should the body cooperate? Why go along with that program. Hallucinate in the lobby, for hours, instead. Pacing, freaking out. Really helpful, thank you Self.

I did the whole ditty- thought I was having a full bore heart attack...when in fact I'm simply gone 36 hours without sleeping on a flight from Hawaii. I had really stressful work trips, and I start not sleeping the nite before. With this illness, not sleeping leads to a Terminal Illness.

So I worked for over ten years, with severe anxiety.

My medical anxiety improved when I stumbled upon my new GP, who is really kind and cares and understands that ME is a real and an awful life sentence. He tries to help me. I still get high blood pressure readings in his office, even tho I am relatively relaxed.

And yeah, he wanted to biopsy some lymph node and I was not- going along with that plan.

I have scary lymph things and assume they may some day get me, but until that day, oh well.
I can understand a lot of those feelings.

I think my gp would tell me to just keep an eye on it for now. They have in the past if I’ve ever gone in with a link on my boob or something. They never jump straig he to a biopsy so I will just see how it goes for now I guess but in the meantime try not to freak myself out somehow.

Rufous McKinney

so I will just see how it goes for now I guess but in the meantime try not to freak myself out somehow.

I'm like the worst about dental visits. Confinement in the chair, can't move, plus all the bad outcomes....plus should have sued the prior dentist.

So I get inflammation in my mouth that causes me to generally got to straight panic. To deal with that, I have found that I just HAVE TO confront the dental issues head on. Waiting and deferring - just drags out the inevitable. I've even had my husband call and make the appointment for me, as I don't EVEN want to talk to them on the phone.

I've also- well I just spilled all the beans with the dentist, whom I'm sure thinks I am a psycho-woman. Part of getting thru it is- admitting it to them, and they are actually really good and understanding. Or understanding enough.

Like I just said- MY HYPER BLADDER- to the root canal dentist. I just clearly stated- I can't necessarily make it thru this procedure- and he indicated that was NOT a problem. So I"m embarrassed, but now I've managed to obtain permission to- take a break at any time. So not saying anything- maybe thats worse than just- explaining that your dealing with it.

Jemima37

I'm like the worst about dental visits. Confinement in the chair, can't move, plus all the bad outcomes....plus should have sued the prior dentist.

So I get inflammation in my mouth that causes me to generally got to straight panic. To deal with that, I have found that I just HAVE TO confront the dental issues head on. Waiting and deferring - just drags out the inevitable. I've even had my husband call and make the appointment for me, as I don't EVEN want to talk to them on the phone.

I've also- well I just spilled all the beans with the dentist, whom I'm sure thinks I am a psycho-woman. Part of getting thru it is- admitting it to them, and they are actually really good and understanding. Or understanding enough.

Like I just said- MY HYPER BLADDER- to the root canal dentist. I just clearly stated- I can't necessarily make it thru this procedure- and he indicated that was NOT a problem. So I"m embarrassed, but now I've managed to obtain permission to- take a break at any time. So not saying anything- maybe thats worse than just- explaining that your dealing with it.
Yes, honesty helps. My GP is aware of my social anxiety and she’s great. She knows I’ve had agoraphobia since the CFS too. I’ll get to my appointments again in time.

Haley

I second the getting it checked out option, but it might be comforting to know that I was told by my doctor that if the lump is mobile under the skin then it's rarely nasty - this when they found I had 12 breast lumps (only one i could feel on the surface) that turned out to be cysts.

Wishful

I use a chemical free one and usually been ok with it.

If you can smell it, or if it removes body odour, it's a chemical, or more likely, chemicals. It doesn't have to be toxic to cause some sort of reaction with body cells. However, lumps could be caused by background radiation or simply by every-day body processes, such as a damaged DNA molecule or a peroxynitrite molecule bonding in just the wrong spot. I doubt that you'll be able to identify what triggered the lump to grow, and therefore what to avoid in the future.

Jemima37

If you can smell it, or if it removes body odour, it's a chemical, or more likely, chemicals. It doesn't have to be toxic to cause some sort of reaction with body cells. However, lumps could be caused by background radiation or simply by every-day body processes, such as a damaged DNA molecule or a peroxynitrite molecule bonding in just the wrong spot. I doubt that you'll be able to identify what triggered the lump to grow, and therefore what to avoid in the future.
Thank you, I’m not using it since I found the small lump. I’m just worried sick it’s sinister and praying it shrinks.

Jemima37

Sounds like a cyst. Had something that sounds the same myself a few years ago. Went on it's own.
Oh does it, did yours feel similar? It’s a hard small round ball. It really does remind me of those horrible silver balls you’d decorate cakes with lol. They tasted awful haha. It’s a similar size and shape. Doesn’t hurt so it’s not like what I’ve had in the past with a blocked follicle.

Jemima37

I second the getting it checked out option, but it might be comforting to know that I was told by my doctor that if the lump is mobile under the skin then it's rarely nasty - this when they found I had 12 breast lumps (only one i could feel on the surface) that turned out to be cysts.
Thank you. Yes I’m going to monitor it for a few weeks as I’m certain my gp would tell me to do that first anyway as they have done in the last with any little lumps and bumps I hard to find in my breasts.

My breasts are fine it’s just this one tiny round ball under my armpit so fingers crossed it’s nothing sinister. It sides feel like it’s just below the skin and I can pull it away from my actual armpit as I stretch the skin outwards, it’s not deep attached inside the armpit. If that makes sense.