• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of drugs which cause mitochondrial damage

taniaaust1

Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Tetracycline, Prozac, Xanax, Valium, Depakote, lithium.

Per here:
. . . the antidote for acetaminophen poisoning is N-acetylcysteine (NAC), which increases glutathione

I'm guessing anything that generates free radicals and reduces glutathione would result into mito damage. That might be every medication?

Interesting article. It ties together various known substances and has a tiny explanation on NO/ONOO stuff.

Since I have to take Aspirin for Essential Thrombocythaemia (bone marrow makes aberrant stem cells that make too many platelets) and Diazepam (Valium) for muscle spasm caused by spinal problems there's nothing much I can do about it.

I was on Diclofenac for years but GP has recently said I can't have it anymore because they found out it causes heart problems etc. And Amitriptyline is given to most people with chronic illnesses in the UK as far as I can tell - the pain clinic put me on massive doses of it - it drove me nuts - literally.

I guess I'll just have to take the stuff that may counteract the effects.

Gingergrrl

Is this damage permanent or temporary? I am allergic to many classes of antibiotics. I took a lot of Quinoline antibiotics.

@Mya Symons I wish I knew the answer to your question and my best guess is that it is temporary for some and permanent for others. I was severely injured by Levaquin in 2010 and would not take another quinolone antibiotic if my life depended on it.

adreno

PR activist
The evidence that many of these drugs causes mito damage is poor. They are using animal models and in vitro studies at dosages that far exceed therapeutic levels.

That said, I think it is wise to avoid drugs if they are not absolutely necessary, but in the end it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis.

taniaaust1

And Amitriptyline is given to most people with chronic illnesses in the UK as far as I can tell - the pain clinic put me on massive doses of it - it drove me nuts - literally.

Amitriptyline can be a terrible drug for those who have ME, there are 3 of us at PR who it did major permanent bad affects too. Its not often a drug has side affects on us of a permanent nature so I think all with ME should be warned of this drug

In my case it ruined my bowel and caused me to get a bowel prolapse from a short term (just weeks), low dose trial of it for sleep (it didn't work on that at all but just left me with issues). If you look at Wikipedia you will see one of the affects of this drug is it slows/affects bowel peristalisis.. I had IBS-C already due to the ME, so the result of this drug was devastating on my bowel with its affect on the slowing peristalisis hence then the prolapsed bowel. It near paralysed my bowel which then caused things there to build up hence prolapsed.

Another person here had it damage her bowel too.. and a third person here had it paralyse her bladder. Permanent damage.

You are the first Ive heard this drug drove crazy but it doesn't surprise me seeing this drug seems to be able to cause severe affects on us.

Misfit Toy

I was on Diclofenac for years but GP has recently said I can't have it anymore because they found out it causes heart problems etc. And Amitriptyline is given to most people with chronic illnesses in the UK as far as I can tell - the pain clinic put me on massive doses of it - it drove me nuts - literally.

Joss and tania-I went nuts on elavil/amitriptyline. I was put on it for pain due to IC and fibro. Within one week I was manic on it. I had so much energy. I could get things done. I went from being exhausted to painting my entire apartment, redoing furniture and I became super creative. I was among the living, after being dead. But it was fake energy and I would have all over body tremors from it and start sobbing, like what is wrong with me?

But, because it gave me so much energy, I wanted on it.

After a year and a half of up and down crazy behavior and then not sleeping, I had to go off of it and it was horrid. I could not sleep and went through withdrawl. I loved that drug for a bit, but man was it awful.

After coming off of it, I went back to my normal CFS self after a few months.

picante

This list doesn't have quinoline antibiotics? :O

Mitochondrial Disorder is likely one of the major underlying problems for many of the complaints that comprise what is coming to be known as Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome or Fluoroquinolone Associated Disability, also called FQAD, which includes symptoms of profound fatigue.
https://fqresearch.org/mitochondrial-disorder
The article says these antibiotics damage mito DNA.

There are a lot of antibiotics missing from the list in the article @Martial posted. I stumbled across an article on erythromycin and mitochondrial damage.

Daffodil

When we were told about XMRV back in 2009, I was deathly ill so I decided to take AZT - one of the 3 drugs they said might work on XMRV - along with the other 2. I was even being coached in secret by a number of respected researchers and doctors via email(!).

Anyway, the AZT caused intense chest pain - sometimes to the point I couldnt move - but I kept taking it for 2 years. Now, I have a lot of heart problems. AZT can cause major toxicity to cardiac muscle and its permanent. Later, I think I will develop heart failure.

xo