• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Liposomal or Micell Curcumin and the BBB

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Just one question,

is one of the above able to pass the BBB? I know Curcumin itself does, but it’s bioavailability is very poor so I’m asking.
or do you know of another potent anti-inflammatory herb that does?

thank you :)

splusholia

From my own subjective assessment, I think the supplement N-acetyl glucosamine has good anti-neuroinflammation properties. This acetylated version of glucosamine is able to get glucosamine across the blood-brain barrier. I use the Jarrow brand of N-acetyl glucosamine.

Can I ask how much you take of this? And do you need to take it on an empty stomach?

Hip

Can I ask how much you take of this? And do you need to take it on an empty stomach?

One or two 700 mg capsules a day. I think on an empty stomach might be best, as NAG binds to wheat germ agglutinin in food, and I am not sure if this might affect absorption.

Some NAG drug interactions to be careful about detailed in this post.

JES

You can also buy curcumin with piperine included or other brands like Longvida that are supposedly more bioavailable. I didn't benefit from curcumin, but there are definitely forms that are more bioavailable than others. Some numbers I have seen suggest 20% bioavailability compared to 1% of regular curcumin.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

You can also buy curcumin with piperine included or other brands like Longvida that are supposedly more bioavailable. I didn't benefit from curcumin, but there are definitely forms that are more bioavailable than others. Some numbers I have seen suggest 20% bioavailability compared to 1% of regular curcumin.
The question is if piperin can pass the BBB
edit: it does and also modulates GABA receptors https://www.researchgate.net/profil...iperine-analogs.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I am trying to source injectible nanocurcumin which has shown to mostly accumulate in brain.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6592058/

Curcumin-loaded nanoparticles: a novel therapeutic strategy in treatment of central nervous system disorders

oral intake had not shown to be able to produce significant plasma peaks needed for certain effects to trigger.
If it’s a trusty source I would be interested