• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lifestyle Management Resources

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
COURSES

ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Specific) CFIDS And Fibromyalgia Self-Help Website Courses - a unique and valuable resource created by a recovered ME/CFS patient Bruce Campbell.

Amygdala Retraining Program - A DVD program utilizing neurolinguistic reprogramming and mindfulness/meditational techniques developed by a recovered chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) patient, Ashok Gupta.

Stress Reduction/ ‘Right Living’ Courses

• Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) originally targeted to relieve pain in patients who are unable to tolerate pain medications. Now used in hospitals and clinics throughout the country for people with chronic illnesses.
  • The Center For Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School gives8 week programs in Mindfulness and Stress Reduction for people with chronic illnesses.
  • Find a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction practitioner
  • Art Of Living Course – uses meditational techniques to help people establish healthier, higher quality lifestyles. Recommended by Ashok Gupta.

BOOKS/DVD’s

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Lifestyle Management and Self-Help Books

• The Patient’s Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia: Take Charge Using Proven Self-Management Strategies – by Bruce Campbell, Ph.D.
  • Seven Proven Steps to Less Pain and More Energy by Fred Friedberg
  • Defeat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: You Don’t Have to Live With It - Martha Kilcoyne
  • Mindfulness, Meditation and Relaxation
  • Learning to Relax: A Practical Guide to Easing Tension and Conquering Stress – Mike George (Chronicle Press, 1998)
  • Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness – John Kabat-Zinn, (Delta, 1990)
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You From Anxiety, Fear and Panic by Jeff Brantley

Articles
An easy to understand article with a personal take on the 'Stress Response and ME/CFS'.

Managing Activities

• Exercise - Creating An Appropriate “Exercise” Program
  • Determine Your Optimal Exercise Heart Rate - Coming Soon
  • Pacific Fatigue Lab Disability Evaluation – this two day examination includes two aerobic exercise tests, a thorough evaluation of your cardiovascular functioning, a disability evaluation and finding of the heart rate at which you move outside of your aerobic safety zone.

Energy Management and Stress Reduction Forms - the CFIDS and Fibromyalgia Self Help website provides a variety of forms ME/CFS and FM patients can use to create a lifestyle that’s conducive to improved health. See their website, book or online course on how to make optimum use of them.

Get all 10 forms http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/files/daily_schedule.pdf