Levetiracetam improves symptoms of multiple chemical sensitivity

alkt

a single patient observation is not some thing you can trust . to be honest I do not know why it was even published .

a single patient observation is not some thing you can trust . to be honest I do not know why it was even published .
Perhaps because they are intolerant of MCS being dismissed as somatic symptoms disorder (SSD). ;)

Levetiracetam improves symptoms of multiple chemical sensitivity: Case report
Many clinicians accept that a diagnosis of somatic symptoms disorder (SSD) is an appropriate diagnostic category for MCS. We found that administration of levetiracetam improved recurrent symptoms of MCS in a patient.

The med helped because the patient was having seizures. It was an anti-seizure medication. It suppressed the seizures. It didn't cure the MCS.

As far as these statements:

Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) is a disorder of unknown etiology with no effective treatment. Many clinicians accept that a diagnosis of somatic symptoms disorder (SSD) is an appropriate diagnostic category for MCS.
MCS has a known etiology and there is effective treatment. Clinicians who think SSD is an appropriate diagnostic category are uniformed.

The med helped because the patient was having seizures. It was an anti-seizure medication. It suppressed the seizures. It didn't cure the MCS.

The medication was prescribed because she was having seizures, it was noticed that it also relieved her MCS.
She suffered partial seizures from the age of 17 years, and was diagnosed with right parietal lobe epilepsy. Administration of levetiracetam (250 mg/day) eliminated her MCS symptoms.

Clinicians who think SSD is an appropriate diagnostic category are uniformed.
I love that typo. :D Uniformed, uniform, that is the problem. For such a dangerous idea, change is all too slow.