• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Learning programming with CFS

Hipsman

I have no intent in advertising, this is just what helped me.
This has been a big challenge for me, I had almost 0 experience before getting cfs.
First of all, a programming project may be a bad idea, because it would take much learning and practice into the specific subjects and programming language witch is just not feasible with energy and mental stamina were left to work with.

So as a feasible alternative you can focus on is getting better at solving problems with algorithms. I have found 2 games that really helped me with this:
1. Human Resource Machine
2. 7 Billion Humans
2# is the sequel to #1, so starting with #1 will makes it easier.

Last edited:

uglevod

Yes it is possible and one of the few jobs that can be handled while you have a heavy(horizontal) CFS. Just learn how to pace yourself properly.

Hipsman

@uglevod This is really cool that you can do this, unfortunately my symptoms are primarily brain fog, lack of concentration/mental stamina, wired but tired feeling, also PANDAS autoimmune neurological symptoms kick in whenever I do social interaction:(. And I'm talking about learning, not jobs, thou that would be great! I just don't see myself getting a job if I don't have knowledge, experience working and a project portfolio, and getting these is just not possible in my case unless I recover.

Last edited:

uglevod

unfortunately my symptoms are primarily brain fog, lack of concentration/mental stamina, wired but tired feeling

I have the same things. Its still possible to do programming from home, just everything would be very slow.

neurological symptoms kick in whenever I do social interactio

Same thing for me.. did you check yourself for infections? Lyme, babesia, bartonella, toxoplasma, EBV, CMV

I just don't see myself getting a job

This would be hardly possible, but you can always work from home on a small projects like websites(and still without much social communication).

Hipsman

Same thing for me.. did you check yourself for infections? Lyme, babesia, bartonella, toxoplasma, EBV, CMV
I have chronically active streptococcal (group A) infection, Dr.Maltsev said it's responsible for my neurology (PANDAS). I want to try his intravenous antibiotic course, but idk what to do with immunodeficiency, he prescribed expensive peptides for it and the overall situation is sketchy.
This would be hardly possible, but you can always work from home on a small projects like websites(and still without much social communication).
True.

Last edited:

uglevod

If you are young/very young you have some chances to recover from CFS imo. Look up for the poor diet, env. factors, everything that shut down or slows your immune system like common supplements/coffee/tee/etc.

Microbiome grows gradually over the lifetime and the more you are in the disease the more years it will take to rollback it.

Also all abx are immune suppressants depending on their strength so its sort of a Russian Roulette to take them - you will either hit the chronic bacterial infection which is a root of your condition(chances are very slim though) or continue to detoriate if the reason is, for example a virus like EBV or CMV.

My exp. is the docs generally are of little help and always swapping facts with their own fantasies - I am still watching out for a single success story of CFS treatment with a conventional medical systems which is not based on the temporal symptoms palliation.