• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leaky gut - difficult to cure mess

Hi everyone,
30/M

Long story short on few bullet points -
1. Poor diet from the beginning, teen age, most of the adult life of last 15 yrs
2. Tremendous stress for last 3 yrs, psychological emotional
3. Depleted critical nutrition, Vit D, Glutamine, Magnesium, EFA etc
4. Too much Cortisol for too long killed gut flora, damaged gut tight junctions, and low vit D, Glutamine etc couldn't save the gut lining
5. Inflammation inflammation inflammation, suppressed immune, bad bacteria injection/dysbiosis, repetitive infections of all kinds, sinus, throat, gut, skin. adrenal fatigue, leaky gut. irritable bowel, irritable bladder.
6. Homeostasis is lost, it is like a mystery illness that can't even be fully explained, I just don't feel completely balanced and fine. So many things wrong, circling through so many symptoms, they keep changing
7. problem with almost every body part, brain fog, memory problem, unable to feel, lost motivation, psychological social trouble, head aches, sever painful episodes, dry skin, hair loss, dandruff, joint weakness, nerves, muscle catabolism, sexual problems of all kind, no libido, constant fatigue, weird discomfort pain in many parts liver kidney torso, body jolts. Many more.

Been trying to fight back be functional for couple of years, spent a lot of money on so many supplements, some helped and kept me hanging in. Tried probiotics, green juice, vitamins, EFAs, amino acids, and many herbs.

Finally went to a Functional med doc. Right track. He asked me to do NutrEval, gut permeability test, Stool, Adrenal, SIBO test. I got some results. They are showing good info about my problem. But the doc isn't the smartest one, I don't have much faith in him, he is not well informed and doesn't have a clear interpretations of results, and no experienced plan. I can't change my doc, that's the only one available in my city.

To be specific, my results show - obviously leaky gut, and signs of infection (dunno what kind yet), high homocystein inflammation marker, high CRP, neuro inflammation, malabsorption, High cholesterol, nutrition deficiencies even after long history of using supplements, broken carb + energy + fatty acid metabolism, protein metabolism is little shaky, broken urea cycle, possible metal toxins, some imbalance in neurotransmitter metabolites.

With all this, I already have tried herbs for adrenal, supplements to reduce inflammation, neurotransmitter support, balance vitamins, minerals, probiotics, green juicing, some diet restriction. Almost same as many functional med doc advice. But that hasn't made any improvement in my condition.

Has anyone gone through this kind of scene? Has anyone healed similar leaky gut? How? What else I have to do? What is missing here? Trying to get clarity here, I have tried many things but no substantial results, I need higher, in depth prospective so I can follow the treatment plan that will produce results. I can probably share results to compare. Any info / insight is appreciated!

Last edited:

whodathunkit

I have been where you are.

The first thing you need to do is start to educate yourself. You simply cannot heal yourself without self-education. It all starts there. My healing has been almost entirely self-directed, although I do have a great doctor who forms collaborative relationships with her patients rather than dictatory ones. But the vast majority of therapies that have really worked for me have been things I found on great discussion boards like PR, and then experimented with, learned about, and worked through them myself.

Green juicing is not necessarily a beneficial healing modality to all...it never did me any good. And just eating veggies and protein won't give your gut the stuff it needs to heal.

The gut is definitely a good place to start healing, although you ultimately may need to add other approaches as you progress.

Try reading at least 40 pages into this thread for some stuff that might help you

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ge-is-it-the-key-weve-been-looking-for.26976/

It's a very long thread but a very worthy read. It's helped me a lot.

The blogs Vegetable Pharm and Free The Animal are great blogs to learn about gut stuff. But be aware that Free The Animal is not politically correct in any way, so if you have delicate sensibilities or are easily offended is best avoided.

The Perfect Health Diet (book available as ebook or hard-copy on Amazon) is a great diet for gut healing.

Glutamine + N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) are good for the gut. They helped me. Some people react to glutamine, however. Self-awareness about your body and your reactions to things is another key to healing.

That's enough to get you started so you can make informed choices about what you do next. That's all we can do here. Nobody can tell you what to do (giving of medical advice is prohibited here), but you can get pointed in various directions so you can choose which way you want to go.

Above all, start reading and keep reading. Never stop until you're well.

Good luck!

Bansaw

If there is no other doc in your area, why not try and do a phone consult with one remotely who is more experienced...

jepps

I´ve nothing to add to @whodathunkit s post, for me was the same programme along with treating candida a key. Chris Kresser also has interesting podcasts, how to build up the immunity in the gut. He also posts, that ongoing leaky gut despite of treatment could indicate to methylation problems and maybe heavy metal toxicity.

Everybody is unique, and what fits for one, can be a problem for somebody else. Prebiotics, RS and probiotics as well as diet are an important part of this programme. Try to figure out, what kind of fibre(s) or probiotic(s) and which dosages you tolerate best. A little tolerable inflammation is a sign, that you react, but to much inflammation should be avoided. I wish you good luck!

Hip

@newuser22
A lot of your symptoms are similar to the ones produced by the virus I caught, which is detailed on my website, especially the symptom of: high levels of inflammation, suppressed immune system and repetitive infections of all kinds, sinus inflammation, unable to feel, lost motivation, psychological social trouble.